Limiting Global: How CO2?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Limit the warming: how many CO2?

by sicetaitsimple » 14/09/20, 20:48

Of course, we can talk about deforestation in such and such a country .... It is a fact.

But we can also look at what is happening at home, it is perhaps less conducive to lyrical flights on all the defects of globalized capitalism and certainly revealing a particularly low spirit (I assume!), But hey , for France:

The stock of standing timber has grown significantly, rising from 1,8 billion cubic meters standing in 1985 [2] to 2,8 billion cubic meters today. This is 45% growth in 30 years!
This increase of more than 910 million cubic meters corresponds to slightly more than the current volume of timber in the Grand Est and Nouvelle-Aquitaine regions combined.
In 30 years, the stock of living wood has increased from 137 m³ / ha to 174 m³ / ha on average. At the same time, the number of stems per hectare has remained stable. The stands are therefore richer because the trees are bigger and / or taller.
The increase in wood stock is greater for hardwoods (+ 55% of the stock, or more than + 620 million m³) than for conifers (+ 40%, or nearly + 290 million m³).

https://inventaire-forestier.ign.fr/spip.php?rubrique71
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/09/20, 21:26

Rajqawee, you write:
It makes sense to call them renewable, these trees!

Not that much, since it allows above all to evade reality ... You will easily realize it by consulting the propaganda, a good clue, the word "renewable" or "sustainable", "circular" is also good when 'it supports economy ...

The strong increase in forests in France is above all the result, on the one hand of agricultural abandonment * which has refocused on the best land (which has caused the depopulation of certain regions), on the other hand of the decline of local wood as a material or fuel. In addition, many wooded areas no longer correspond, for various reasons **, to current operating standards and are therefore neglected.
This general trend across the country should not hide the fact that industrial projects are appearing here and there which, if they were to prosper, could quickly change the situation.

* In return, much of the food is produced outside the country.
** Excessive division of plots, difficulties due to topography, population of no interest to industry, etc.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/09/20, 22:08

Ahmed wrote: We must also be careful when comparing stocks with fluxes, because the natural capacity of the tree to capture carbon does not correspond at all to the industrial capacity to release it into the atmosphere ... fifty years to reset the counter to zero, we are therefore far from the account and this so-called neutrality is only a decoy.

Good but then for 30 years, in your opinion, the French forest has stored carbon or "one is thus far from the account and it is only a decoy"?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/09/20, 22:23

Ahmed wrote:In addition, fungi are now able to depolymerize lignin, which means that the conditions for massive formation of charcoal have disappeared.
For 290 million years
http://www.biofutur.com/Des-champignons ... 0cellulose.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/09/20, 22:38

If it were simple, it would be one or the other, as it is not, it is both: if we reason statically there is currently a storage, but when the concept of carbon neutrality is put forward, it is to clear projects of new uses of biomass and this, at industrial dimensions (no pun intended!) which knowingly (or not, it doesn't matter!) confuse the stock and the flow; the stock is important as long as the withdrawal remains modest or proportionate to growth, but if the latter proves to be up to the new ambitions, the flow generated will quickly lead to what has already been observed several times in the past, whereas in these last cases the technical capacities of cutting and use were reduced (which did not prevent anything, only slowed down the process compared to the current possibilities).
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/09/20, 22:46

In short, you say anything by saying ""we are therefore far from the account and it is only a decoy".

Everything depends on the rate of sampling and the rate of renewal, in the immediate future there is no problem.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/09/20, 23:04

... no worries, indeed, let's continue to consider each thing in isolation and through the small end of the telescope, to reassure ourselves and to close our eyes ... 8)
However, I would like to remind you that the dominant idea, rightly or wrongly, is to replace carbon-based energies with low or no-emitting energies and that the qualification of wood as carbon neutrality is in itself very worrying, all this for that nothing changes on the other aspects which interest no one ...
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/09/20, 23:27

Ahmed wrote:... no worries, indeed, let's continue to consider each thing in isolation and through the small end of the telescope, to reassure ourselves and to close our eyes ... 8)

Yes, yes. And let's also continue to take the spyglass in the right direction to be sure that we are right to cry out for a global conspiracy and not know how to prioritize actions that are more important than others on a local scale. Anyway:

The policy of "small steps", even if it has a theoretical value (I do not believe in spontaneous generation!) Turns out to be perfectly counterproductive in the present reality since these small steps serve to legitimize the "giant steps for the 'humanity". Environmental rhetoric is omnipresent in political discourse on all sides and it is the blatant illustration of its role as a screen. I recognize that with the improvement of psychic manipulation, it is sometimes difficult to discern the trick: it is that the distribution of roles on the scale of the planet allows a deceptive compartmentalization: in "developed" countries the great virtues greenish and in distant countries the counterpart not very shiny, but invisible, odorless and painless ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 15/09/20, 02:49

Ahmed wrote:the qualification of carbon neutrality of wood is in itself very worrying, all this so that nothing changes on the other aspects which do not interest anyone ...
"lutopik" had made an interesting report on this subject page 8. http://www.lutopik.com/Lutopik_8web.pdf

Since then, the newspaper has closed, too bad it was really detailed information, not copy and paste as has become the norm.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 15/09/20, 08:56

Sicetaitsimple, you are making commendable efforts not to understand my words and to disguise them: I have never spoken of a global conspiracy ... For my part, I do not see what justifies this systematic and all-out contemptuous tone?

Izentrop, thank you for the document, I only scratched the surface, but it seems interesting and well documented to me: I will read it in full. It is fortunate that some do not just analyze numbers ...
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."