Geoengineering: cool the Earth against warming

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Geoengineering: Cooling the Earth Against Global Warming

by ABC2019 » 22/10/21, 16:11

ok, but I was answering the question asked to choose between one and the other, if you were forced to do so.

Obviously, if for you it is useless to produce current, neither of the two is useful. I still note once again that for people who participate in this forum through a computer and the internet, well, having electric current is a bit useful anyway ... : roll:

Now if we put ourselves in the position where we admit that producing current is useful for something, the marginal utility of a CO2 capture plant is only real if the benefit brought by the capture is greater than its cost - which has nothing for me obvious, in any case I have not seen any real justification, even if it has become a "meme" which seems obvious to everyone, in my opinion, nobody 'has never seen a demonstration nor is able to provide one.

Nothing to do with studies on the benefit of vaccines for example 8) .
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/10/21, 16:20

ABC2019 wrote:yet another nightmare scenario to scare the grandchildren.; ..
Always minimize when it comes to RC and too bad they do not quote the study
all this CO2 does not remain in the atmosphere: some of it is absorbed by plants and trees, but most of it is absorbed by the oceans (about a third).
The CO2 gradually dissolves in water and this produces (among other things) carbonic acid which reduces the pH of the water. For 250 years the ocean has absorbed hundreds of millions of tonnes of CO2 globally, and this excess CO2 has greatly contributed to increasing the level of acidity in the oceans ....
Scientists have shown that some fish experience changes in their behavior or metabolism when the pH decreases. Some are more fragile, others who have difficulty finding their food must move around, which disrupts the local balance.
For now, it is difficult to assess all the effects of ocean acidification on marine life, but it is likely that it will have very significant long-term consequences. https://youmatter.world/fr/definition/a ... efinition/
In addition, the distribution is not uniform ...
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 22/10/21, 16:36

sen-no-sen wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:What is better to build? Coal-fired power stations or "carbon-removal plants"?

Your remark introduces a principle of dualism.
Why are we building "carbon removal plant"?

If the remedy is "less worse" than the disease, why deny it? Especially since in Iceland there is geothermal energy.
1 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 22/10/21, 16:50

ABC2019 wrote:ok, but I was answering the question asked to choose between one and the other, if you were forced to do so.

Responding to complex subjects by yes or no locks the interlocutor in a predetermined and simplifying choice, it takes nuance!

Obviously, if for you it is useless to produce current, neither of the two is useful. I still note once again that for people who participate in this forum through a computer and the internet, well, having electric current is a bit useful anyway ... : roll:

Obvious inference from you, I did not stipulate that power plants were not useful ... source your remark?

If not, the shepherd's response to the shepherdess:
1)"Well-ordered charity begins with oneself".
As a reminder: you cumulate 10475 messages in 1 year and 9 months.... I have been a member since 12 years and 4 months and cumulative 6749 messages. Therefore I find that your remark is somewhat of cognitive dissonance ...
As a reminder, you frequent the forum also, so unless you are a troll or an imbalance I think you should apply your reasoning to yourself before going to look for lice in others ...
2) It's a bit easy to make this kind of remark to an inhabitant of France in 2021 (and we are 67 million!).
This is typically an argument for social killing: in short, anyone who cares about ecology should refrain from modern means of communication and by extension having to eat anything other than cold slugs (otherwise that's too much GES!), Leaving in fact the theorists of techno-scientism dominated the social and economic scene ... well tried but it does not work, I am vaccinated against this kind of arguments : Lol:
2 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 22/10/21, 17:17

izentrop wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:yet another nightmare scenario to scare the grandchildren.; ..
Always minimize when it comes to RC and too bad they do not quote the study

whatever the effects, a scenario at 740 ppm is very unlikely, and I am not talking about 1800 ppm ..... !!!
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 22/10/21, 17:21

sen-no-sen wrote:If not, the shepherd's response to the shepherdess:
1)"Well-ordered charity begins with oneself".
As a reminder: you cumulate 10475 messages in 1 year and 9 months.... I have been a member since 12 years and 4 months and cumulative 6749 messages. Therefore I find that your remark is somewhat of cognitive dissonance ...
As a reminder, you frequent the forum also, so unless you are a troll or an imbalance I think you should apply your reasoning to yourself before going to look for lice in others ...

my remark was not about going to forums and to use the internet, in this case indeed it would be very badly placed on my part, but on the fact of doing so while complaining about the industrial society which is necessary for its existence :). Since this is not my case, I don't feel too much in cognitive dissonance.
2) It's a bit easy to make this kind of remark to an inhabitant of France in 2021 (and we are 67 million!).
This is typically an argument for social killing: in short, anyone who cares about ecology should refrain from modern means of communication and by extension having to eat anything other than cold slugs (otherwise that's too much GES!), Leaving in fact the theorists of techno-scientism dominated the social and economic scene ... well tried but it does not work, I am vaccinated against this kind of arguments : Lol:

ah me, I do not tell anyone how he should live, it was not my goal!
but as regards having to live like the "techno scientist" society which surrounds you, it should be noted all the same that many people currently seek to flee precisely the society which surrounds them, and try to live DIFFERENT ... risk of their life. So there is still a little asymmetry in lifestyles ...
(PS my 84-year-old mother, currently in EHPAD, never went online and never had a computer at home, and yet she had a very active social life with lots of friends, so not having the internet is not "social death"! anyway, if you want to give up fossils, you will probably also have to give up the internet).
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 22/10/21, 19:59

Uh, are you not fed up with your ego contests?

Good to come back to the ORCA project ... a table corner calculation gives thatit would take close to 10 similar factories to offset humanity's annual CO000 emissions (not to mention the feedback loops already initiated AND CO2 ALREADY in the atmosphere...)

Well let's say that by taking into account all the parameters, that it would be necessary to manufacture 15 by 000 to return by 000 to the level of CO2040 of 2050 ... and avoid runaway ... They are nice! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

How many factories are there currently in the world ??

I presume that if the pilot unit has been installed in Iceland it is because it needs a lot of heat or "free" electricity ... how do we deal with the other 15 units? Solar by concentration? PV?

Ah, we didn't talk about the Cost / Cost price of the capture ... I found some data: 600 to 900 $ / T? It's funny: it's 10 times the price of CO2 on the CO2 exchange ...

Finally, roughly speaking, 1/10 of humanity is working on this project to make it possible within these timeframes!

ps: to save humanity and the planet it's not expensive ... but it will never be done!
1 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 22/10/21, 20:38

Christophe wrote:
ps: to save humanity and the planet it's not expensive ... but it will never be done!

on condition of demonstrating that humanity is indeed threatened, because for the moment, we are complaining rather that it is in too good health ... : roll:
0 x

GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 22/10/21, 20:38

Asshole ... : roll: : Evil:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/10/21, 19:18