COP21 November 2015

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

COP21 November 2015

by moinsdewatt » 29/08/15, 14:12

100 days before COP21, what commitments for polluters?

AFP Video 18/08/2015

100 days before the opening in Paris of COP21, the negotiators of the 195 participating countries still have several major meetings, including a session in Bonn from August 31, to help them reach an international agreement to curb global warming. China, the United States, the European Union and even Australia have made public their commitments in terms of reducing greenhouse gases responsible for climate change. But we are still far from the mark.

http://www.boursorama.com/actualites/a- ... 48fa4dfcff

COP 21: solutions against climate change exposed in Paris

By Direct Matin, published on August 26, 2015

EDF's "Smart Flower" is a photovoltaic panel intended for individuals which follows the course of the sun throughout the day. [L. Biosca]

Less than 100 days before the COP 21 it will host, Paris wants to raise awareness of the need to preserve the environment.

On the banks of the Seine, at the foot of the Musée d'Orsay (7th arrondissement), Parisians and tourists have been able to discover since Wednesday sixteen innovative scientific projects intended to combat global warming.

"The current situation is not just a fate, it is also a technological and economic opportunity. Paris wants to be a model in this revolution," said Patrick Klugman, deputy for international relations.

Technology serving the environment

Among the inventions presented, some are linked to the production of renewable energies, such as flower-shaped photovoltaic panels, which follow the sun during the day (the "Smart Flower" from EDF), or even a wind turbine whose blades can retract or expand in order to adapt to the wind speed (Vertéole).

In the area of ​​housing, there is also a clear concrete which absorbs pollution and reduces the heat effect in the city (the " Astonishing "by Ciment Calcia), or a box to be installed on its electricity meter, which transmits the household consumption in real time to the personal computer (Qinergy).

[b] Three moves to the capital

This exhibition will change location several times until December. It will remain on the banks of the Seine until October 4, before settling in the Bassin de la Villette (19th) from November 18 to December 14, then avenue Winston-Churchill (8th) from December 4 to 11, before s '' complete on the forecourt of the Town Hall (4th) from November 30 to December 12.

"It is about highlighting the vital forces of civil society, which provide concrete solutions to some of the major issues of the XNUMXst century," underlines Célia Blauel, EELV deputy in charge of the environment.

http://www.directmatin.fr/environnement ... ris-709299
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: COP21 November 2015

by moinsdewatt » 15/10/15, 20:02

up for did67 who hadn't seen the subject.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 15/10/15, 20:04

Le Bourget: the site of the climate conference under construction

EB with AFP on 07/10/2015

40.000 participants are expected at the conference (COP21), which will be held from November 30 to December 11, to try to reach an agreement to limit global warming. Work has started at Le Bourget (Seine-Saint-Denis).

40.000 participants are expected at the conference (COP21), which will be held from November 30 to December 11. Located at the Bourget Exhibition Center, the site will cover 160.000 m2 - 80.000 m2 already exist and 80.000 remain to be completed.

Three zones are planned on the Le Bourget site

The conference center, managed by the UN and accessible to some 20.000 accredited people, a "Climate Generations" space for civil society and the general public, and an exhibition "Gallery" for companies.

The official conference center will notably include two plenary rooms, including a wooden one with 2.000 seats, 32 negotiation rooms and a press center for 3.000 journalists.

Some 2.000 NGOs, several of which have observer status in the climate negotiations, are expected. Negotiations, led by representatives of 195 countries under the aegis of the UN, aim to sign a global agreement on ways to limit the rise in global temperature to 2 degrees compared to the pre-industrial era

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 24377.html
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/10/15, 21:46

moinsdewatt wrote:up for did67 who hadn't seen the subject.

Honestly, I couldn't remember; I did not have to enter the right words in the search engine ...

But basically, you confirm what I said: you saw what interest this thread found on this forum ?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 07/11/15, 11:53

Warming: the promises of the States "far from being sufficient", warns the UN

By AFP, published on 06 / 11 / 2015

Paris - Three weeks before the Paris climate conference, the UN is issuing a new warning on Friday: although "unprecedented", the greenhouse gas reduction promises made by states are still "far from" be sufficient "to contain the warming to + 2 ° C.

This observation, made in a report by the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), confirms the analysis published on October 30 by the United Nations Convention on Climate Change.

"The current commitments, combined with the measures taken in recent years, represent a real increase in ambition and a historic level of commitment by States to tackle this immense global challenge", underlines Achim Steiner, Director of UNEP, responsible for regularly making a benchmark report.

“However, they are not enough to limit the global rise in temperatures to the recommended 2 ° C, and therefore to prevent the worst impacts of climate change,” he adds.

The international agreement against the warming expected at the Paris conference will therefore have to "adopt a dynamic approach", with a regular upward revision of the objectives and means, he believes.

According to the UNEP report, produced by an international team of researchers, the commitments presented by 146 countries on October 1 would lead to a probable rise in mercury of between +3 and + 3,5 ° C by 2100.

To limit this increase to + 2 ° compared to the Industrial Revolution - the objective set by the international community -, it would be necessary to emit into the atmosphere only 42 gigatonnes (Gt) CO2 equivalent in 2030, against 52,7 , XNUMX Gt today.

If nothing was done, we would be at 60 Gt in 2030. But, even if all the countries keep their promises, 54 Gt will still be issued in 2030, or 12 too many. Two-thirds of the way remains to be covered.

The average temperature of the planet has already gained 0,8 ° C since the pre-industrial era, on the + 2 ° that the world is trying not to exceed.

- "Paris: a beginning, not an end" -

Beyond this threshold of 2 °, according to scientists, the climate could get carried away, with an acceleration of the imbalance already at work and its consequences: melting of the glaciers, rise of the sea level, erosion of the coasts, recurrence of droughts and extreme phenomena, etc. The key is irreversible impacts on many ecosystems, species and societies.

Over the decades, global emissions have steadily increased, largely due to the combustion of fossil fuels - coal, oil, gas.

This new report is presented three weeks before the opening of the Paris conference (November 30-December 11), during which 195 countries will try to agree to limit global warming. This agreement must take over from the Kyoto Protocol from 2020, and it must involve emerging and developing countries for the first time.

It should "encourage further action" over time, UNEP insists. A central question in the current negotiations, where everyone agrees that "Paris should not be an end, but a beginning".

Beijing, the world's largest issuer, gave its approval on Monday to a clause for rapid and regular review of commitments, on the occasion of a visit by French President François Hollande. But the content and timing of these reviews remain an open point in the negotiations.

"All the technologies and knowledge necessary" to further reduce emissions exist, notes UNEP, "calling on all nations to take advantage of this political momentum to act in sectors such as energy, agriculture, transport, construction, forests".

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Humanity can now only emit 1.000 Gt of CO2 to stay at + 2 ° C: this is its "carbon budget". With the current country commitments, 72 to 75% of this "budget" will have been consumed by 2030.

http://www.lexpress.fr/actualites/1/act ... 33429.html
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 07/11/15, 12:42

I am very skeptical about these famous international meetings against RC ...

In a quarter, we may not talk about it anymore ...

And no doubt we have already released too much CO2 into the atmosphere.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/11/15, 20:02

In this radiant November weekend (24 ° C in Bordeaux), it is hard to believe that global warming is a sight of the mind.

A friend called me this afternoon from Switzerland to tell me about the weather on his terrace while making the same reflection ...

The tragedy is that COP 21 is controlled by lobbies such as Areva and that the "solutions" they put forward are anything but lasting solutions ...

I am not talking about the "VW scandal" which concerns ALL manufacturers and which is swept away with the back of the hand by raising the admissible thresholds.
: Evil:

What incompetence on the part of our rulers ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/11/15, 20:03

citro wrote:In this radiant November weekend (24 ° C in Bordeaux), it is hard to believe that global warming is a sight of the mind.

A friend called me this afternoon from Switzerland to tell me about the weather on his terrace while making the same reflection ...

The tragedy is that COP 21 is controlled by lobbies such as Areva and that the "solutions" they put forward are anything but lasting solutions ...

I am not talking about the "VW scandal" which concerns ALL manufacturers and which is swept away with the back of the hand by raising the admissible thresholds.
: Evil:

What incompetence on the part of our rulers ...
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 07/11/15, 20:57

citro wrote: ......

Sources requested.

No Areva below:
... the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Laurent Fabius, made public yesterday a "first list" of twenty partner companies, all "climate friends", he assured. Among them are Engie (ex GDF Suez), EDF, Renault Nissan, Suez Environment, Air France, ERDF, Axa, BNP Paribas, Air France, LVMH and Ikéa. Google has also expressed its desire to be part of the sponsors .....

http://www.leparisien.fr/environnement/ ... 810557.php
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/11/15, 21:12

Oops, I meant Engie. :?
0 x