CO2: Is mowing his lawn a citizen gesture?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Did67

by Did67 » 17/06/15, 17:53

Christophe wrote:
But damn, is there not a small part of the cut grass that ends in humus ????

If you mow regularly, young grass shoots do not produce humus:

- too rich in nitrogen
- no cellulose / lignin
- extremely low C / N ratio ...
- decompose quickly; put it on a sheet and you will see the juice flowing: it liquefies!

All ferments !

Already a hay, much more strawy, a little cellulosic (because the grass hardens its stems to carry its ears upwards), is not a good source of humus, even if it produces a little ...

It starts to get more interesting with straw and wood (BRF ...).

Composting, if it is well done, can be a "pre-humification":

- mixture of materials rich in nitrogen, fermentable, like mowing, peeling ...
- with materials rich in cellulose / lignin: straw hay, cardboard, egg packaging ...
- so as to have a balanced C / N ratio of the order of 12 to 15
- the whole ventilated and "remixed" several times: aerobic process; avoid any settling and partial drying out ...
- average humidity (that of the pressed sponge): it is necessary for the bacteria to work (a dry biomass prevents bacterial activity: drying / dehydrating is one of the oldest ways of preserving food: hay, meat, sausages. ..), but air must circulate (so not too much!) ...

Almost all the household composts I see seriously usurp this qualifier of compost : these are "rots" that have nothing to do with composting. And even less with a "pre-humification". But probably often with a "very partial methanization"!

This does not mean that they are useless: reduction in the volume of garbage cans + return to the gardens of the nutrients (minerals) they contain ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/06/15, 17:36

I did not have much time and we left the debate a little quickly: where we see that a simple question, when it comes to living phenomena, quickly becomes complex!

- a lawn which returns regularly to the start acse, on the surface, does not store or destock C (or CO²) ...

- but it is another matter under the surface, according to what had happened before: if the soil was cultivated in an intense way, plowing regularly, it had ended up depleting in organic matter (including humus)

- iron it in the meadow (grass), even regularly mowed, will cause it to gradually enrich itself with organic matter: it will therefore store C (but whether it is mowed or not !!!); enrichment of the soil will play a role, from debris fallen to the ground or dead roots ...

Lire:

http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 24&cad=rja

http://www.civ-viande.org/wp-content/up ... CAMP10.pdf

http://polebiomasseenergie.fr/dmdocumen ... arbone.pdf
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/06/15, 18:47

in any case, the humus concerns a quantity of carbon that I find derisory: to have a positive effect on the carbon footprint it is necessary to produce energy saving a consumption of other fuel

anaerobic digestion is the only energy recovery from mowing lawns, but unfortunately rarely accessible
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/06/15, 07:51

In Obernai, it is accessible, provided you make the effort to bring your clippings to the recycling center.

From there, they go to our methanisation unit.

City mowers also "unload" individually ...

In case of overproduction, depending on the weather, we have the capacity to ensile.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/06/15, 11:18

of course this is a good example!

but how much waste in France gives green waste to a methanizer? there must not be many

So almost everywhere in France without exception transporting your green waste to the waste disposal site is a waste of fuel to transport, then causes a waste of public money to operate the waste that costs too much to produce nothing

At my place there are places where the mower has not been gone for 30 years: I only cut when I need space, and the mower is useless: it is with the chainsaw that it is necessary to cut : it makes firewood easier to use than grass

and I cut only the trees which are badly placed: I let certain continue to grow
0 x
Christophe

Re: CO2: is mowing your lawn a civic gesture?

by Christophe » 13/06/20, 20:27

I am disgusted !! I was a few days ... sorry weeks ... late on my mowing ...

Well I zigled a orvet (in addition to the hundreds of other victims, smaller, which I have not seen) .... It is a protected species but I saw it too late no time to to avoid misfortune ... I feel sick to my heart : Cry: : Cry: : Cry:

I think it was this species: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguis_fragilis

Each mowing pass is an ecocide !!

: Evil: : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/06/20, 21:52

Ecocide results more from the indirect action which deprives insects, therefore the other constituents of the food chain, of food ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/06/20, 01:09

You can also mow only a part, but if you don't want it to turn into a grove you have to alternate zones.

My land is largely wild. Until then I had only cut aisles to the scythe to access the garden and the chicken coop.

If you don't have enough time to mow, I think robotic mowers are a solution for the future, especially if you charge them with a solar panel. As it circulates slowly, I think that the orvets have time to decamp. Earthworms have food regularly and my neighbor told me that he did not have a molehill because it bothers them, this machine that often goes unexpectedly.
An electric wire on the ground delimits the area to be mowed.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/06/20, 01:56

Regarding carbon storage, if mowing is "mulching", the residues compensate for the CO2 losses and a meadow is a carbon sink. It is the root exudates that store the most durable carbon in the soil.
10 to 20% of rhizodeposited photosynthetic C https://agriculture-de-conservation.com ... naires.pdf
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/06/20, 13:37

Ahmed wrote:Ecocide results more from the indirect action which deprives insects, therefore the other constituents of the food chain, of food ...

Ah but for that, I leave islands of biodiversity ... not far from 1/4 of the surface I would say ...

This is the subject of another subject: gardening / improve-biodiversity-in-the-garden-islands-of-wild-life-t16049.html

izentrop wrote:You can also mow only a part, but if you don't want it to turn into a grove you have to alternate zones.

: Arrowu: QED : Arrowu:
0 x