Inter-season water storage "basins" to fight against droughts...

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Remundo

Re: Inter-season water storage "basins" to fight against droughts...

by Remundo » 25/03/23, 18:58

to return a bit to the scientific debate, I post this article from the point
“Mégabassins”: autopsy of “megadisinformation”

While 7 to 000 "anti-basin" activists are preparing to demonstrate again, from this Friday and until Sunday, in Deux-Sèvres, on two sites - Sainte-Soline and Mauzé-sur -le-Mignon – become emblematic of the fight against these vast reservoirs intended to store water for agricultural use during the winter, their neighbors in the south of the Vendée are razing the walls. In their department, sitting on the same Marais poitevin and bordering Deux-Sèvres, twenty-five "mega-basins" were built between 10 and 000... without this raising any protests, and with unanimously welcomed results: “The positive effect on groundwater is undeniable”, confides to Point Yves Le Quellec, president of the local office of France nature environment (FNE), who has followed the works since the first day. “I was reluctant myself at first… Looking back, I have to admit that I was wrong,” he says.

[]

The "mega basins" would therefore hover death? “What is amazing, it is the speed with which any rational debate on water reservoirs has become impossible”, hallucinates a hydrologist having worked on several local projects, insisting that his anonymity be preserved. “I'm just a simple field hydrogeologist…I don't want any trouble. Like him, the farmers – some of whom filed a complaint in mid-March for “moral harassment” – recount months of insults, intimidation, media pressure designating them in the eyes of the general public as quasi-criminals. "None of us has the profile of agribusiness", tell La Nouvelle République Ludovic Vassaux and Guillaume Raynaud, who raise market gardening cows in organic farming. And yet ransacked, like the others. The hydrologists specializing in the region, fearing the attacks, wallow in silence – leaving the field open to a handful of militants, who squat the television sets. "The discourse of the radicals has become dominant, because it has one thing in common with the moderate eco-naturalist and anti-capitalist movements: degrowth", deciphers Olivier Vial. "This movement is also carried by a galaxy of academics who have long been engaged in a current of deconstruction and questioning of Western values", who have been carrying it for years.

“Many hydrologists interviewed in the media recognize, in their writings, the interest of substitution reservoirs, but fear, in public, that their construction will delay reflection on transition and sobriety. They encounter an anti-technological progress and anti-innovation movement that is very present in public opinion,” he summarizes.

[]

What does science say?

On the technical level, however, the arguments put forward lack precision. Would the basins artificialize the soil? In Deux-Sèvres, they will only represent 0,74% of the area of ​​land concerned by irrigation, calculated Stéphane V., associate teacher in life and earth sciences, and author of the blog Terre à Terre. Up to “30% of the water” in the basins could be evaporated? "It's greatly overestimated," said a hydrologist at Bureau of Geological and Mining Research (BRGM), which rather assesses evaporation “between 3% and 6%”, based on reservoirs in operation abroad. (…) This debate is turning into a farce, we mistreat and exploit science”, chokes a local hydrologist, fearful – he too! -, if he speaks publicly, professional reprisals.

We can debate it, it will always be better than the anarleftist rioters against the blues decerebrated by Macron.

I see that guys from FNE are starting to find it good... FNE is usually not the most open to that.

As for the BRGM, it gives an opinion on the evaporation which seems contained.
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 25/03/23, 19:59

Remundo wrote:Well since you're a genius...

The flow of the Rhône is 1700 m3/s

1 m3 weighs 1000 kg

We round the chap of gravity to 10 m/s²

Calculates the lifting power for 500 m altitude.

And compares to the average power produced in France (about 50 GW)

when you have done that, you can add the flow of the Seine (500 m3/s), the Loire (830 m3/s) and the Garonne (650 m3/s)

to see if there will still be a few watts available to light the lantern of the Genies.

Blablabla of unimaginative leather circles. Simple solutions, with no impact on the flow of the river, even without electric pumps as I recommended, exist (and it's not new). Make your neurons work instead of being condescending.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 25/03/23, 20:15

Remundo wrote: Besides, the drainage pipes come out somewhere, so it's not impossible to recover the water.

it would be a much more rational solution to fill their basins than going to pump in the water tables which are already having a hard time recharging.
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 25/03/23, 20:21

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Blablabla of unimaginative leather circles. Simple solutions, with no impact on the flow of the river, even without electric pumps as I recommended, exist (and it's not new). Make your neurons work instead of being condescending.

Ah I see that Mr kicks into touch because he knows nothing about power/energy.

contrary to your recommendation of efficient and active neurons, it is not when the water is in the river at the mouth of the ocean that you have to think about retaining it for agriculture!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 25/03/23, 20:22

Forhorse wrote:it would be a much more rational solution to fill their basins than going to pump in the water tables which are already having a hard time recharging.

no need for a basin if the water table is pumped.

The basin must be recharged preferentially with runoff water, precisely to pump less into the groundwater.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 25/03/23, 20:23

Remundo wrote:
Forhorse wrote:it would be a much more rational solution to fill their basins than going to pump in the water tables which are already having a hard time recharging.

no need for a basin if the water table is pumped.

The basin must be recharged preferentially with runoff water, precisely to pump less into the groundwater.

Yeah, well, as they are built raised, it's all the more useless.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 25/03/23, 20:26

that's not what everyone thinks.

In particular farmers who feed the world... by exploiting the excess winter flow of the river to irrigate the rest of the year.

1 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 26/03/23, 11:13

Remundo wrote:The basin must be recharged preferentially with runoff water, precisely to pump less into the groundwater.

Well yes we agree... the problem is that this is not what is expected.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/03/23, 12:19

I find the packs of beggars very unfair with these basins, they could act as a mini sea for their low-cost resorts! : Cheesy: : Mrgreen:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/03/23, 12:26

1 x