Extinction of anthropogenic mass ... it left my kiki!

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Extinction of anthropogenic mass ... it left my kiki!

by Ahmed » 11/04/21, 16:20

Damned! I had not seen this "small" change, my astonishment was so great! I had believed for a moment in a sudden conversion and would have advised you to resort to a good exorcist (I do not know any, but I would have inquired!). Thank you for reassuring me. : Wink:

My sentence below was intended as a response to the peremptory assertions of the same individual ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/04/21, 16:31

And would massive reforestation be part of the solution? Of course, this is not the first nor the last time that we talk about it!

It is beautiful in the landscape, it is a habitat for the biotope, the roots stabilize the soil, it stocks Co2, it is a material for all uses, and a building material, it is a fuel, it is biodegradable, it is insulating (cellulose wadding), it grows on its own ... It produces medicinal molecules, flowers to make herbal teas (lime, etc.), fruits, and so many other things.
We use all wood.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Anthropogenic mass extinction ... it continues my ass

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 22/04/21, 17:58

Giant shellfish trafficking: Philippine police seize shellfish worth 20 million euros
The shell of the giant tridacne serves as a substitute for elephant tusks for poachers.
Coast Guard inspects giant tridacne shells seized from poachers on Green Island, Roxas town, Philippines. They are worth almost $ 25 million. | Handout / Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) / AFP
Seashell in danger

“The taking of giant tridacnes in their natural habitat is a form of intergenerational crime. This will permanently affect the marine ecosystem and future generations will be deprived of the benefits, ”said Jovic Fabello, spokesperson for the Palawan Council for Sustainable Development.

It was in the province of Palawan, on Green Island, located in the Sulu Sea, that the coast guard raid took place this Friday, April 16. For the past three years, the province has become one of the main poaching centers in the Philippines. The shells of the giant tridacnes, classified as vulnerable, are used to make products like earrings or chandeliers, replacing ivory, whose poaching and trade are subject to more severe scrutiny.
200 tons of shells were seized by the Philippine coast guard, during one of the largest operations ever carried out in the country against the trafficking of shellfish. Giant tridacnes, also known as giant clams, had been illegally harvested for resale as ivory substitutes, amid a global crackdown on the elephant tusk trade. In total, the mass of poached shells reached a value of nearly 25 million dollars, or 20,86 million euros.

The largest seashell in the world, the giant tridacne can grow up to 1,5 meters wide, and weigh up to 250 kilograms. It harbors marine algae which is a food source for many fish, and is found in greatest numbers in the Philippines, which is home to most tropical species of tridacna.

At the beginning of last month, already 80 tons of shells of these giant clams had been seized by the coast guard on a nearby island, the loot reaching a value of 3,3 million dollars. In the Philippines, killing endangered species is punishable by up to 12 years in prison and a fine of up to one million pesos, or 17.000 euros.

http://www.slate.fr/story/207689/trafic ... braconnage
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/21, 15:10

Everything is summed up in the first 30 seconds:

The problem is the (too much) profit !!
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 24/09/22, 14:26

The Senate has just published an information report proposing “to prohibit alcohol and narcotics while hunting” and to take measures similar to those applied for driving. This idea was castigated by the president of the National Federation of Hunters Willy Schraen, who did not fail to retort that“a drunk guy on a bike is dangerous too”, forgetting that the rules that apply to motorists in matters of drunkenness also apply to cyclists.
https://www.lepoint.fr/societe/pourquoi ... _23.php#11
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/09/22, 21:23

A drunk walker is less dangerous than a drunk walker in the same condition... : Mrgreen:
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 25/09/22, 08:16

especially with a rifle stuffed... with cartridges! : roll:
1 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Flytox

by Flytox » 25/09/22, 23:59

A few years ago, just in front of my house, the neighbor opposite organized a meal for local hunters, to mark the occasion before doing the hunt. They started the aperitif around 11 a.m. and went out around 15:30 p.m. in a "great atmosphere". There were at least 3 of them completely burnt out and not all of them able to get by car or 4x4 to the place planned for the search....There was none to prevent them from taking the wheel or to dissuade them from taking their rifle.... All this drunken meat (about fifteen) went off to hunt, as if nothing had happened....
That afternoon, I had to go for a walk with my dogs, in a neighboring wood....but I preferred to stay at home hoping that they would only find real game... :( : Evil:
2 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."