UNEP calls for climate summit

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

UNEP calls for climate summit

by Targol » 30/01/07, 17:07

NAIROBI (Reuters) - The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) is urging Ban Ki-moon to convene a climate conference as soon as possible, just days before an alarming report comes out. consequences of warming.

The summit, which could be held in September, will have the difficult task of finding a successor to the Kyoto Protocol, which commits 2012, developed countries, to 35 to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

UNEP is seeking to convince the UN Secretary-General to play a leading role in the fight against global warming by advancing the post-Kyoto discussions among states on 2012.

After meeting with Yvo de Boer, executive secretary of the UN climate change secretariat, Ban met with Nairobi Executive Director Achim Steiner on Tuesday in Nairobi. But he did not take up the idea of ​​organizing a world summit on the environment.

"I know that the Kenyan government has offered to organize such a summit. I will discuss it with the president (of Kenya, Mwai Kibaki)," the UN secretary-general told reporters during a briefing. brief visit to a slum.

"Climate change is one of the most important issues facing the international community by 2012. I will work closely with members of the United Nations to discuss this issue," he added.

On Friday, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is to present in Paris its new report, summarizing the work of 2.500 researchers from more than 130 countries.

According to scientific sources, it should be concluded that it is likely to more than 90% that human activities, including the use of fossil fuels, are responsible for the observed warming since 1950.

In its previous report, in 2001, the IPCC evaluated this probability at 60%.

"ACT NOW"

The paper also points out that rising temperatures by 2100 should be between 2 and 4,5 degrees Celsius compared to pre-industrial levels.

Global warming will lead to 2080 food shortages for hundreds of millions of people and severe water shortages in China, Australia and parts of Europe and the United States, the IPCC also predicts.

Along the coast, the rising waters will flood seven million homes, according to excerpts from the report published by the Australian newspaper The Age.

"It is now absolutely obvious that we must act together and that we must act now", insisted Nick Nuttal, spokesperson for Steiner.

"This is a decisive year and we must agree between developed and developing countries on a common conclusion," he added.

According to De Boer, the UN Secretary-General is in an ideal position to give a new impetus to the fight against global warming, but he must first assess the political support he can count on to know if he can assume this role.

Under the Kyoto Protocol, 35 developed countries must reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 2008% by 2012-5 below those found in 1990.

In 2001, shortly after George Bush's election to the presidency, the United States, the main source of greenhouse gases, withdrew from the agreement citing its negative effects on the economy and the lack of constraints imposed on emerging economic powers.

But the US president admitted last week that global warming is a major challenge.

To be truly effective, the successor to the Kyoto Protocol will have to involve non-signatory states today such as the United States, India, South Africa or Brazil.

At last November's Nairobi Climate Conference, environment ministers failed to agree to extend the protocol to other countries after it expired in 2012.

source: Yahoo news

Come on, we have the right to believe it after all. :?
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/01/07, 17:16

Wish to help Rulian on a specific KyotHome pb I put this page online:
https://www.econologie.com/nouvelles-externes-3330.html

I think I'm going to leave it permanently, it will allow you to see the last news of global warming at a glance ...
0 x