Snow tires and winter tires, what differences?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 26/12/10, 18:26

A few months ago, I had to replace my tires and I asked my supplier what he offered for snow tires. He replied that with the evolution of tires and profiles, the “all season” tires at Barum (sub-brand of Continental), are in fact winter snow tires which also go for “all season”. .. He clarified to me that he no longer sold more than that and that he no longer took summer tires in stock.

The other day I forgot to switch on the 4x4 to get out of a snowdrift and I went back several times in reverse to "make tracks" in order to be able to do more. easily be able to park there in the evening when I come back. And yet I did not notice anything ... It was only when I wanted to disengage the traction, that I noticed it !!!
Considering the speed limits, I don't think I'll ever buy a summer tire anymore. And driving comfort is kifkif ... it didn't seem to make a difference. Even if a new set of “Brillantis” is exceptionally comfortable.

User feedback (each table is a different opinion):
http://www.pneu-test.com/pkw_winterreif ... index.html

Nothing to envy to a good GoodYear Ultragrip or a Michelin - Alpin A3 amha. Besides, the Continental equivalent to Barum is ranked first, here:
http://www.pneu-test.com/pneus_d_hiver/index.html
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 27/12/10, 09:22

On the Lada Niva for example. , except purely TT tires there are only all-season tires (and few manufacturers make the size that goes above): this type of tire is not very famous level road holding or friction level, but good, for a Niva is fine because it is a vehicle for quiet driving on the road, in particular to keep consumption within reasonable limits ...
0 x
Terry blaireur
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Terry blaireur » 18/01/16, 17:30

Christophe wrote:In short it is still not clear ... : Cheesy:
And studded tires is snow or not? : Cheesy:

It is however not very complicated. Winter tires are like many summer tires except that winter tires are always particularly pronounced, which is not always the case with summer tires.
Winter tires are made to withstand cold and bad weather. Their pronounced sculptures are designed to better expel water and therefore make it possible to better avoid aquaplaning than summer tires.
Below 7 °, the rubber of summer tires becomes so hard that the handling is affected whatever the surface.

The so-called "snow" tires still exist, but they can hardly be found. It's a little easier to find in Norway or Iceland (and again, nowadays I'm not even sure; it's been a long time since I looked into the question), but in our temperate regions it is not the same story.
In the mountains, it is not uncommon to see, in winter, all-terrain vehicles equipped with all-terrain tires with very large treads. These tires are not necessarily specifically dedicated to winter, but their large tread pattern gives them very good aptitudes on thick snow.
However, the fact that these tires are not necessarily suitable for low temperatures makes them less adherent on bitumen than conventional winter tires. For someone who rides a lot in thick snow, this pneumatic mounting solution may be of interest.
Here is an example of an all-terrain (summer) tire that the seller announces as being summer but that he also recommends for snow: -http: //www.123pneus.fr/cgi-bin/rshop.pl? Dsco = 125 & typ = R-140934

Winter tires are made of a rubber which remains flexible even at very low temperatures. There are two types :
1) the classic winter tire;
2) the studded winter tire, the advantage of which lies in its ability to hold up better on ice and ice.

In all cases, even with an all-terrain vehicle and even with studded tires, certain particularly snowy passages are only passable when chains are mounted on the tires.
Some very snow-covered passages remain impassable even for "chained" vehicles, and that is why there are four-wheel-drive vehicles in the mountains equipped with tires almost as solidly sculpted as tractor tires. We also see tracked vehicles, sometimes.

The downside of winter tires is that in summer they wear out faster than summer tires.
The drawbacks of studded tires is that not only do they wear out faster in summer, but they also hold up less well on clean asphalt, whatever the weather conditions; hence the speed limit when the car is on it.
Last edited by Terry blaireur the 18 / 01 / 16, 18: 01, 3 edited once.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 18/01/16, 17:34

Terry Blaireur wrote:The drawbacks of studded tires is that not only do they wear out faster in summer, but they also hold up less well on clean asphalt, whatever the weather conditions; hence the speed limit when the car is on it.
Also because studded tires damage the coating a lot ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/01/16, 19:31

Well feedback after my previous post from .... 2010 (nice digging up to slip in an ad, by the way, but what are the mods ... ^^):

- The Barum WINTER (all season) is soap in the snow after aging of the rubber after 4 years.
- Michelin Alpin snow tires are also soap bars in ... snow with ... old gums, ditto!

Morality, it's okay as long as the snow tire is still almost new.

The former were still quite good profile questions at 5 years of age.
The second ones are old and a little cracked. But snow tires are not used that much, winter here doesn't last long on the roads! So the miracle gum, the tire being new, does not seem to last long ...

By cons I found rain tires Uniroyal Rain-expert, that happiness. Same grip on dry as on wet, no difference. The giant foot.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/01/16, 08:23

Obamot wrote:By cons I found rain tires Uniroyal Rain-expert, that happiness. Same grip on dry as on wet, no difference. The giant foot.

Uniroyal rain expert ... A tire that I have been cheering on for 5 years now that I mount tires in my garage (after having tried them on my alfa 156) ... It is on the other hand a little noisy with rolling resistance and as it has a fairly flexible carcass it does not tolerate heavy loads and curbs ...

In a moderate environment (central France) they are EXTRA ... For riders doing in the 15 to 25 km / year range. Beyond the properly managed alpine michelin is a killer we mount it in October we spend a quiet winter and we finished using it until next october (beware when the winters and winters witnesses come in, they don't wear out anymore but are quite slippery in the wet) ... My brother brings me up on the driving wheels of his 000 taxis at the start of winter and at the end of spring they put me back together to play a michelin summer game (but its taquots are between 5 and 80 km / year)
The new Michelin cross season I just mounted several pairs it seems to be a very good compromise ...

The exotic mounts ... Well, it's worth what it's worth ... In any case, flee the summer mounts which are for the most part very dangerous on wet ground ... On my traveling chrysler I rode Nankang I did once the crap to ride in summer ... The braking distances in the wet were frightening ... While all seasons or winters were doing well ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/01/16, 13:22

Yes it was the penultimate generation for the Rainexpert (I think):

Which are very similar to what they now call Rainsport! I had taken them after consulting this test (damn I should have known you before as a good mechanic ^ _ ^)

Can you confirm that the tire tests depend on the size of the rims, some will behave better with some than others.

I saw the Michelin, if you speak of these:

They have an asymmetrical profile (differences between different profiles from one design to the next which are more or less spaced) which is what must make them fit in different types of snow / soil ...

Otherwise there are the Tigar snow which would be good, it seems a sub-brand of Michelin, what do you think.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/01/16, 13:35

The snow tires that I use at the moment have no direction of rotation ... surprising but true ... yet they are well "mounted" on the rim: the "outside" is clearly visible on each wheel .. .

Model: Bridgestone Blizzak

If you want a profile picture, tell me! And your servant will do it!
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/01/16, 13:59

I have not yet received a review on the Michelin cross season since I have only recently climbed it ...
For the Tiguar ... My very old personal experience on this brand was catastophic (huge unbalance) ...

For the rain experts I have mounted
alpha 156
renault scenic
205 pigeon
ford focus
307sw
suzuki wagoner
deawoo nubira
ford fiesta
Citroen c3

And all these "customers" (let's say rather friends family relations friends of friends ...) were unanimous for them report handling longevity unbeatable price ...

I smoked a front axle in 10km on my 000 because of a geometry problem (defective triangle) ... but I came back right away ... I will order two for golf 156 a minimacro less than 2 € the tire with this level of safety ... It's a pleasure. Perverse effect .... If we only change 50 and mount them at the front ... We gain so much confidence that we quickly find ourselves with oversteer traction ... After that, you have to have the right ones reflexes and enough power to recover the ass that wants to play at the head ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/01/16, 14:04

Christophe wrote:The snow tires that I use at the moment have no direction of rotation ... surprising but true ... yet they are well "mounted" on the rim: the "outside" is clearly visible on each wheel .. .

Model: Bridgestone Blizzak

If you want a profile picture, tell me! And your servant will do it!

I know I rode 2 last week ... But they are not the only ones ... And in exotic production sometimes it is surprising profiles in chevrons which are found inverted between right and left ...
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."