Route simulator: autonomy of e-bikes

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
e-Vélorution
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Route simulator: autonomy of e-bikes

by e-Vélorution » 04/11/12, 15:59

Hello everyone.

I recently realized a website to try to participate in the development of the electric bike (Electric bike mount) and the questioning of any car. The electric bike seems to me particularly adapted to the urban or peri-urban routes because light and with electric motorization. However, its use remains too marginal despite many benefits (see it video of my trip velotaf for example), so the potential for development still seems important to me.

The site proposes to many informations on electric bicycles and especially kits to turn a bike into an electric bike. I developed a route simulator to estimate his journey time and range according to his vehicle and route. This was developed for electric bicycles but also offers "bicycle", "e-scooter" and "e-car" vehicles. So, in my opinion, this is a great way to compare the different individual transport modes, their energy consumption and their travel time efficiency for one's own journey.

We also propose on our blog to follow our tests during our mountain outings. Indeed, to validate the configurations, we put them to the test on journeys with large differences in height (> 1000m), over long distances (> 100km) and with a large load (climbing or ski equipment). It's also a great way to promote in the field. People seeing us go up at high speed despite the heavy load are often surprised and very interested by the possibilities offered by this mode of travel.

The simulator seems to me particularly interesting in the framework of the energy debates that one can find on the forum. I hope I have developed useful tools for all, that's why I leave all the parameters modifiable. I am of course available in case of request for additional information.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 04/11/12, 16:17

you had already talked about electric vehicles, it seems to me. your simulator is fine. I just regret that there is not a trick of the color style that changes if the number of Ah of the battery is lower than the Ah of the course. you have to move the cursor on the graph to know the exact number of Ah to end.
I would like to host your simulator (with a link to your site) on our website. the-electric-montee.
0 x
Click my signature
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 04/11/12, 16:57

Nice, useful, but on my mythical course, disease prevention, Lavandou St Tropez, without any car, no pollution, a few miles of traffic jams, this software superbly ignores all rural roads without a car in the scrubland (GRxx), makes me go forcibly, in the traffic jams and diesels, as mythical of St Tropez and Cogolin and the one-way exceeds the capacity of the battery and the identical return is made without battery, as I do without electricity, repeatedly at my age 2,5 times closer to nonagenarians than young 20 years!
http://www.montveloelectrique.fr/Autonomie.html

Moreover it is limited to 10 points, which blocks all true long journey !!
0 x
e-Vélorution
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by e-Vélorution » 04/11/12, 17:09

It is necessary to indicate the choice of the type of road: road + track to take the paths. Note also that there are several solutions to make this journey in e-bike without problem of autonomy:
-Take an 20Ah for the battery
-increase muscle power
-to decrease the maximum speed of assistance

The number of intermediate points is limited to 10, which seems to me a little embarrassing for most of us. There remains the possibility of cutting the route into several routes ...

Personally, I also use the simulator to estimate my "naked" bike journey times. Once the muscle power is put on a known path, it works quite well.
0 x
e-Vélorution
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by e-Vélorution » 04/11/12, 17:13

To dirk pitt:
Yes, I had spoken about it on the forum vehiculeselectriques. I try to spread the information as much as possible and in this context your proposal interests me.

I could host a special web page on my site by removing the "kits" configurations shown on my page and leaving only a few more common generic configurations:
crankset 250W
crankset 350W
-reduced hub motor 250W
-reduced hub motor 500W
500W direct drive hub motor
1000W direct drive hub motor

You could then integrate everything with an "iframe". This would allow me to keep control, especially for code updates.

What do you think about it ?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 04/11/12, 17:29

e-velorution wrote:It is necessary to indicate the choice of the type of road: road + track to take the paths. Note also that there are several solutions to make this journey in e-bike without problem of autonomy:
-Take an 20Ah for the battery
-increase muscle power
-to decrease the maximum speed of assistance

The number of intermediate points is limited to 10, which seems to me a little embarrassing for most of us. There remains the possibility of cutting the route into several routes ...

Personally, I also use the simulator to estimate my "naked" bike journey times. Once the muscle power is put on a known path, it works quite well.

Yes, road + track greatly improves, but if the track is too close to the road full of cars it does not take it, as attracted by pollution !!

and 10 points it is really not enough for a trip a little complex, which avoids roads full of cars, !!!
0 x
e-Vélorution
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by e-Vélorution » 04/11/12, 17:38

It will then talk to Google to change the specs of their API;) I'm just giving intermediate steps and Google calculates the routes with its database on roads, paths ...

To remedy the problem of the exact trace, I started a gpx file loader. It is possible to edit a gpx file with the software of his choice with a nice ergonomic interface and come load the path in the simulator to have access to calculations of power consumption etc ...

ps:
Thank you for sending me gpx files that do not work at evelo.pourlamontagne [at] gmail.com
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 04/11/12, 19:38

e-velorution wrote:To dirk pitt:
Yes, I had spoken about it on the forum vehiculeselectriques. I try to spread the information as much as possible and in this context your proposal interests me.

I could host a special web page on my site by removing the "kits" configurations shown on my page and leaving only a few more common generic configurations:
crankset 250W
crankset 350W
-reduced hub motor 250W
-reduced hub motor 500W
500W direct drive hub motor
1000W direct drive hub motor

You could then integrate everything with an "iframe". This would allow me to keep control, especially for code updates.

What do you think about it ?

I think it's excellent. it would be necessary to speak of it in a lively way on the side of Grenoble. I put you in my mp.
0 x

Click my signature
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 04/11/12, 21:57

Can you produce the bicycle homologation certificate? (the kits being prohibited, I presume that no ...)

What inept legislation ...
0 x
e-Vélorution
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by e-Vélorution » 05/11/12, 14:27

For 250W 25km / h kits, they are considered accessories and are therefore tolerated in practice even if the cycle is modified since its homologation cycle.

For 35km / h kits, the possible approval of these vehicles would be in the moped category particularly unsuitable for physical effort and very restrictive. It does not seem interesting to me.

The current legislation (limiting VAE to 250W and 25km / h) is particularly irrelevant for my region (Grenoble). Indeed, Grenoble has the distinction of being established in an old glacier valley. Thus the inhabitants often have long journeys for those who are in the valley (5-25km) or high-altitude routes for those who live in the foothills of the mountains. Either the path is completely flat and the speed of 25km / h is attainable without assistance or the path has a steep slope and the lack of electrical power is problematic. That's why a slow but very powerful engine (1kW) or a little powerful but fast engine (35km / h) seems to me very interesting for Grenoble. I imagine this reasoning is applicable to many regions.

The legislation should necessarily evolve but I am afraid that we make the same mistake as in Switzerland or Germany with a limitation of fast pedelecs at 45km / h. Indeed, a VAE 45km / h is very close to a scooter, this light moped class then asks the constraints related to the scooter. A limitation to 35km / h would make a real difference with the current moped category:
-Energy consumption about 4 times lower than an e-scooter from where a need in battery and a much lower price
-all the health benefits of playing sports
- a possible relaxation of compulsory insurance due to the lesser danger of traveling at 35km / h.

In practice these vehicles are therefore currently prohibited on public roads and theoretically require a vehicle type insurance not approved for the civil liability (the MAIF offers this type of contract for example). In the case of use on public roads, the user is in the illegal and then assumes a criminal risk in case of identification of the offense ....

This uncomfortable situation has the effect of completely kill the market in relation to the potential of this type of vehicle. This seems to me very damaging given the ecological, economic, health, strategic and geopolitical advantages of this individual mode of transport.
0 x