The man has eaten the earth

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The man ate the earth

by GuyGadebois » 02/12/19, 20:50

Grelinette wrote:The film explains well the passage between abandoned electric trams in favor of the car and the reasons: to allow the tanker to take control of transport. Moreover, in the US this abandonment would be done in part through political-financial shenanigans and by appealing to mafia organizations.

When I was a miner, in Nice there were trolleybuses (but before there were trams). No noise (no rails but tires, electric motor). They deleted everything and switched to diesel buses, noisy, ultra polluting; to finish, 50 years later, to rebuild an expensive and noisy tram (ah, the rails!) ...
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Did67

by Did67 » 02/12/19, 23:20

I have no doubts about replacing the electric tram with the car. But I still have a little trouble with this Manichean way of presenting it as pure capitalist logic. But that is personal. Anyone can "theorize" facts. I am by nature more adept at complex systems analyzes.

My question to ahmed was clear: in Europe there was a buyout of tram companies by companies related to oil to make them die ... I have no reference and I just want to know.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/12/19, 08:29

Excuse me DidI had partly skipped your question. My previous answer is based on a complex systemic approach rather than on psychologizing aspects. However, I do not have data on Europe, but a priori, there are not too many reasons that the same logic * does not apply, especially as our continent copies ** willingly, with a delay ...

* Even if this logic is not well perceived, since it requires an overview rarely present for the public.
** Reproduction is favored by the interests of large American companies in Europe, who have an interest in importing the model.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 03/12/19, 12:55

Except that precisely, the "old Europe" has certain aspects, peculiarities. Especially for public services. Especially for health. Especially for education.

But if even in these areas, a certain "Americanization" (liberalization / privatization) cannot be denied, I would be more careful and would not necessarily "trace" American (or capitalist) mechanisms in certain areas.

But that's just my opinion.

I wanted to know if I had skipped a moment in the history of our public transport.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/12/19, 13:15

Of course, there are also forces that sometimes oppose these "Americanization" tendencies. *
With regard to transport, what is currently being pursued is the intensification of flows; in this sense, efforts in the field of bicycle lanes or tramways should be interpreted as adding to the automobile and not as a progressive substitution. It is a saturation principle that is also observed in the field of energy.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 04/12/19, 18:42

Ahmed wrote:Of course, there are also forces that sometimes oppose these "Americanization" tendencies. *
With regard to transport, what is currently being pursued is the intensification of flows; in this sense, efforts in the field of bicycle lanes or tramways should be interpreted as adding to the automobile and not as a progressive substitution. It is a saturation principle that is also observed in the field of energy.

Hi Ahmed. I do not see how it would not be a substitution attempt when we reduce the traffic lanes for cycle lanes.
In two agglos where I drive regularly, areas where we drove a car not too bad on 2 lanes were put in a lane where we travel very badly, while on half an hour of observation pass only three peeled and one mowed on the bike lane.
This amounts to a confiscation of the public space for the benefit of a small minority, while the penalization of the circulation of the majority results in more over-pollution! It is thus a counterproductive ideological disposition, like almost all of those called ecologists.
Pragmatism is to respond to the need of people, we must stop taking for idiots (if they take the car is that they have good reasons), and to promote the fluidity of the circulation, which reduces pollution and, more importantly, saves people's life time that they can spend more use at work or with their families than in traffic jams.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 04/12/19, 19:44

Exnihiloest wrote:... saves people's life time that they can spend more use at work or in the family rather than in traffic jams.

In the traffic jams, you can listen to music, or chat with your (possibly) co-drivers : Mrgreen:

Otherwise, yes, there is an attempt to "educate" users in certain town centers, to dissuade them from using their car, by giving priority to public transport.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 04/12/19, 19:53

Otherwise, yes, there is an attempt to "educate" users in certain town centers, to dissuade them from using their car, by giving priority to public transport.
example Holland and his worship of the bicycle.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 04/12/19, 20:02

Yes, it's easier when there are no climbs!

With the electrification of the bikes it changes the situation :P
0 x