Closed fireplace and explosion: attention

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
The Passing

Closed fireplace and explosion: attention

by The Passing » 25/12/05, 20:24

Hello,

Just to share my little experiences in this area. I have a closed fireplace as the only means of heating the house and it works hell, so far, nothing to say :)

The aspect I want to share: twice, after having a thick ember mat at the bottom of the insert, I refill with wood and a few minutes later: Boom !! with a cloud of smoke (apparently a lot of CO, seen the little headache after having "sniffed" to see).

What happened: the wood was partially gasified by the hot heat of the embers, and the gas accumulated in the fireplace. Suddenly the heat became sufficient at the top of the insert so that the mixture of wood gas and air spontaneously ignites :o

It’s pretty impressive, I’ve never seen such a strong closed cough. :)

To avoid these phenomena, let the wood burn after having refueled the fireplace, so that the gas can burn well and not explode.

This is actually the principle of the gasifier well known to our grandparents, and I now understand how it could explode hehe :P
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 25/12/05, 20:39

exact!
But normally, you shouldn't be able to close your insert at this point. There should be a small air inlet at the top of the glass. What is your insert?
0 x
jkg
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jkg » 25/12/05, 20:48

Hello,
Here is an experience "that I heard
A guy has been heating himself with an içnsert for 2 or 3 years, he thought he was not shooting.
One day he had just passed when an explosion occurred.
The insert was split in 2, one part against the wall, another in its place.
2 days after the firefighters came, the insert was blocked.
BE CAREFUL

@+
0 x
The earth is not ours we borrow it to our children
The Passing

by The Passing » 25/12/05, 21:35

Philippe Schutt wrote:exact!
But normally, you shouldn't be able to close your insert at this point. There should be a small air inlet at the top of the glass. What is your insert?

Yes, I did have the upper part of the glass which let the air in to sweep the glass and prevent it from getting dirty.

I condemned it (with a braided fiberglass joint) because I installed forced ventilation in the house, and the draft was too large :o

See this thread: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ameliorati ... t1270.html

This explosion phenomenon is the only notable drawback of this forced ventilation system.

Since then I let the chimney fire a little after the loading of wood.

Apart from these small incidents, it heats up very well, I had let the fire die yesterday noon, only to re-light it at the end of the morning today: it was 10 ° C throughout the house when I woke up around 9:00 .

By noon it was already 20 ° C in the dining room (where the fireplace is) and at least 17 ° C in all the other rooms :D

Ah yes: my insert comes from "Cheminées Philippe", I am very happy.
0 x
The Passing

by The Passing » 25/12/05, 21:44

jkg wrote:Hello,
Here is an experience "that I heard
A guy has been heating himself with an içnsert for 2 or 3 years, he thought he was not shooting.
One day he had just passed when an explosion occurred.
The insert was split in 2, one part against the wall, another in its place.
2 days after the firefighters came, the insert was blocked.
BE CAREFUL

@+

Okay then, I didn't plug anything and I clean the pipe cleanly;)
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 26/12/05, 01:17

This is not normal. It happens to me regularly
with the bread oven and the insert.
At the start a strong heat from the hearth and no flames.
Put dry wood or better paper. Once that
smoke well, put a match or open
the entrance to the area.
It's crazy (well something like that) and it ignites.
suddenly there is smoke everywhere. It surprises at the beginning then we
It’s done. In fact it’s fun, kids love it a lot.
It is not without danger. Except maybe if your wife
do not like it . : Lol:
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 26/12/05, 10:19

uh .. in principle, if your wood is very dry, this air heats up going down along the glass then causes a second combustion while passing above the wood. this system is supposed to keep the glass clean, increase the yield up to 80% and make you consume 20% less wood.
0 x
The Passing

by The Passing » 26/12/05, 10:22

My wood is very dry yes: 2 to 3 years of drying. By cons, if I leave the upper opening of the glass, it really pulls too much and the wood burns at speed V.

I will try to reduce it rather than completely obstruct it to see.
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 26/12/05, 10:50

3 years airy and covered. you can also make a small reserve of a week of heating in the house. it dries it up again.
If the combustion temperature increases, the draft increases. yes, reduce it, perhaps. can you also reduce the bottom draft? and, when the window is closed, you probably also have a setting for the smoke outlet key that you can close halfway.
0 x
The Passing

by The Passing » 26/12/05, 10:54

Philippe Schutt wrote:3 years airy and covered. you can also make a small reserve of a week of heating in the house. it dries it up again.
If the combustion temperature increases, the draft increases. yes, reduce it, perhaps. can you also reduce the bottom draft? and, when the window is closed, you probably also have a setting for the smoke outlet key that you can close halfway.

The bottom draft is very adjustable, it is well done, I can really go from "all closed" to "all wide open" by playing on the two settings of the sides (sliding grids) and on the vents of the ashtray drawer, and downright the ashtray door.

For the smoke outlet key, I leave it completely closed when the fire has started and the wood is very hot in the fireplace.

It's great a fireplace :)
0 x