Request clarification of vocabulary, please

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 30/10/05, 19:47

Request for clarification of vocabulary, please

I am well aware that our Québécois friends must have even more difficulties of understanding, due to the evolutions, the uses and the lags of the French language on both sides of the Atlantic. (a gallery = a junk rack)

When reading with great pleasure, the explanations, the comments and the favorites ofAndre we savor, we delect, we appreciate. But when we look for a specific point, we read again, we take a step back, to evaluate or guess the exact meaning of the delicacies of his expressions.
When it comes to a technical explanation, it's a shame to write or read a whole paragraph, and that at the end of the reading, one always wonders if one has understood a thing, or its opposite ...
Added to this is the interpretation and personal comprehension of the reader, so that in the end the explanation received by the reader may be completely diverted from the original idea of ​​the designer's head.
In technical language, we must, as far as possible, use words that do not lend themselves to interpretation or confusion, and which run counter to the generous and universal teaching approach of the speakers.
This might allow new members to avoid asking the same basic questions, because even if they have made the effort to read the archives, in their minds, everything is shoveled, turned upside down, unclear.
Two examples:
--1-- "Above" or "below"; generic example: " the carburetor is above the intake pipe ".
- Is the flow direction of fluids considered in a pipe?
- Or, we consider its physical position, elevated compared to the other component?
In this expression, the two answers are true, but which of the two did the author want to talk about?
This seems obvious, even to the less skilled, but a garage mechanic told me that he was out of the cars with the carburettor underneath. So…

--2-- "Forward" or "backward"; example that often comes up: " the venturi is in front of the carburettor As a result, we are still not informed ...
In this case, we want to talk about the flow direction of the fluids.
- Should we understand "before"?
- Should we understand "after"?
When a group of people moves in one direction and we go "ahead" of the group, usually, we go beyond it, and we find ourselves "after" ... No? You enter the problem?

*** To locate a position, the ideal would be to use precise words that do not lend themselves to confusion.

++ If we want to describe a physical situation position in space, compared to a referent: we use the words: before, after, in front of, behind, above, below, relative to another object that one specifies, or with respect to the observer.

++ If one considers a displacement of fluid (liquid or gas), in a conduit; taking as analogy the image of a watercourse, in our logic, we posit as a positive sense, the direction of the progression in time of the said fluid;
we use the words: downstream, upstream, upstream, upstream of, the referent object.
" The venturi is downstream of the carburettor ... "is an expression that is no longer confusing.

And do not lend me other words or intentions that I have not exposed.
Too bad, if Monsieur de Molière (Aka Fanfreluche) turns in his grave! In these discussions forum, what does the spelling matter?
And if one writes "swallows" or "hammon", the reader will not care, because he will first have understood the first meaning of the technical idea ...

For the comfort of the majority, do not necessarily fall into excess, even if the ideas are fair.
Such, the maxim of our poet Boitl'eau (source, a little zarb):
" If this is the case, please send me a message. "
a useful link: http://s.billard.free.fr/referencement/ind...once-claire

Gegyx
0 x
Wish =>
Able to speak normally
without being constantly attacked by some people, who respect nothing, and this impunity.
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 30/10/05, 20:36

There are also vocabulary differences:

Our Belgian friends are going to talk about frigolite (literally fridge stone) for expanded polystyrene,

our Quebecois friends are going to talk about celluloid (if I remember correctly) for transparencies of overhead projectors, ...

But hey, that embellishes our speeches and he is always someone to make the link.

Let's think when we know that there are several words used to put them in brackets. Ex:

My car makes 68 cv (hp) ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 30/10/05, 22:28

Hello
Whenever I write on the forum , I am aware that the majority of readers speak French in France, so I make an effort to find the right technical terms, I can not deny my origins I was born in Metz, but most of my life is at Quebec, so when I make an explanation for an engine here, it would have a lot of words, which are neither English nor French, often an amalgam of the two, so difficult for you.
Do not be misled that the Quebecois who go on the forum is lost in this technical language, head = cylinder head, valve = valve tap = chantepleur, crankchaft = crankshaft, pan = crankcase, valve cover = rocker cover, rocker = man, starter = starter, candle = plug ect ..
we could write a book, but what is important is to understand the message, and the top when I verbally explain it goes, but write it
it's more complex. Reread it, I often erase it too much and I can not follow the meaning of the explanation, and even if the computer does not crash siute long text, I come in .... tabarnouche expression quebecoise
(a gallery = terrase, or a stoop around the house, the place where one sways on a rocking chair)
the origin of the rocking chair is the first settlers, former Breton navigator that reminds them of the waves on a boat, it is the old people who gave me this explanation.
Andre
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 30/10/05, 22:32

It might be necessary to make a thread (subject) with posts (messages) giving the translation of the terms used in each of the French-speaking countries that intervene here. You have already started and we could add terms little by little.

So whoever does not know a term can refer to it ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 30/10/05, 23:25

I thank you for your answers, but I think that once again we do not understand each other.
I do not complain about different regional qualifiers to argue in the forum or to designate objects; generally, it always ends up in a good mood.
Also, I do not claim, either, a lexicon of regional synonyms or any Esperanto.
My first text emphasized the fact that simple phrase, badly used, in a strategic place, and it was all the content of the text that was distorted ...
Also, I advocate to remove any ambiguity, to use systematically aval " or " uphill When one wants to locate one room in relation to another, in a channel where a fluid flows.
I would also like to know, please, the true meaning of the two standard phrases I quoted in my introduction:

" the carburetor is above of the intake pipe ".

" the venturi is en avant carburetor ".

Gegyx
0 x
Wish =>

Able to speak normally

without being constantly attacked by some people, who respect nothing, and this impunity.