Small heater and extra insulation fortune ...

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Small heater and extra insulation fortune ...

by Grelinette » 19/12/08, 14:20

Hello everybody

Here are the problems that arise for me and for which I hope that some will give me good solutions, and that others can also adopt because I am probably not alone in this situation:

I am a tenant (so no big investment projects) in a small old house which is:
1. very poorly heated : Cry:
2. very poorly insulated : Cry: : Cry:

On the other hand, I have a fairly low rent and I live in a beautiful corner in the countryside. (I also do not want to embark on a coercive approach towards my owner to force him to do work).

1. There are all kinds of small auxiliary heaters that are easy to install and economical: oil bath radiator, radian convector, oil stove, heating fan, etc.).
Do you know their advantages and disadvantages, and what do you recommend?

2. Throughout the house there is a fairly high ceiling with exposed beams. I thought that if I stretched a canvas on the beams it would make a buffer space of about 20 cm between room air and ceiling to make a makeshift thermal insulation. I thought of stretching a winter veil or tapestry paper.
What do you think ? Do you have other ideas for inexpensive and easy-to-install materials?

Thank you for your (very) quick advice (a cold spell is coming soon!).

ps: for those who advise me to put more sweaters, it's already done! :D
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 20/12/08, 00:24

Excellent, the idea of ​​a winter veil on the beams. Why not also on the walls? (fix a slat on the top of the wall to spread the veil a little from the wall)
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 20/12/08, 08:38

Hello

There are all kinds of small backup heaters that are easy to install and economical: oil bath radiator, radian convector, oil stove, heating fan, ...).

By economic, you mean buying?
Because in use, it is the price per KWh returned that counts
As for electric heating, you know what we think about it forum . For the inertia of the oil bath, there is no miracle, just a prolonged radiation that will give a little more comfort. The financial interest would be to make it turn at night, to restore the day. But the calorie stock is relatively low, unless you cover the radiator with an insulating box (?)

For petroleum stoves, very fashionable in recent times, it should be remembered that we breathe the gases from combustion, and that the consequences on the quality of indoor air are probably not neutral.

The wood stove or pellets is often a good compromise, in addition in your case it would be recoverable. But of course there must be a smoke evacuation duct and guarantee the safety of the occupants.

For the insulation of walls or ceilings, the economical solution would consist in recovering materials. Otherwise, thin insulation might be suitable since it would return the heat inwards and the price per m2 is reasonable.
Above all, do not put flammable materials such as polystyrene on the ceiling.
For the aesthetic aspect, this is not ideal, unless, actually, cover the whole with fabrics.
Only small problem, the sockets, the lighting etc ...

Good luck

A+
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

auxiliary heating

by LOGIC12 » 20/12/08, 19:54

hello: Also try to reduce the volume that you heat: for example a corridor or an entrance without interior door, put a curtain to limit the volume to be heated.

Lowering the ceiling is a great solution, but it would be more effective with a real false ceiling.

Avoid oil stoves: they produce a lot of humidity which makes the housing more difficult to heat, not to mention mold etc. And also production of CO and CO2, and good ventilation is required which destroys the heat produced.
Do not try too much to heat the accommodation, but to heat yourself, so have a practical auxiliary heater. A simple convector of recuperated models that you hang on the wall would do the trick, in 750 or 1000 watts. It must be put on foot (to be made) by putting it under the table, the heat could not rise directly to the ceiling and when you eat, you would be hot.
Even if you use electricity, just on your time of presence and by not putting the thermostat fully, the consumption will remain reasonable.
After the front door, do a SAS with a curtain that will cut the cold. Do not neglect the curtains on the windows which creates an air mattress which insulates, and double curtains for the night.
0 x