Reviews of the book Biogas - practical manual

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: book review Biogas - practical manual

by chatelot16 » 11/03/16, 22:28

lime costs a certain energy but is it a lot of energy? it does not look so much worse

lime at the price ecolo bobo may not be profitable ... but the limestone spent in a wood fireplace does not cost much ... 800 ° is enough to make lime

Activated carbon is not suitable in the first step to sort methane and CO2, it is used in 2 eme step to recover the methane that loses the absorption with water

in the case of absorption by lime there is no need for activated carbon because the lime makes a total absorption of co2 without the need for water flow ... soda lime filters allow CO2 to be absorbed to make breathable air in old submarines or in so-called "rebreather" diving devices which are not supplied with compressed air but with pure oxygen ... we recycle the exhaled gas in a soda lime filter and we introduces just the right amount of oxygen ... soda lime is a mixture of lime with very little soda which makes a mixture that remains always dry, practical for making filters

for the purification of bio methane pure lime is enough

in a future message I will give a number on the lime ... but it is a certain work because it is a rather heteroclyte figure ... it takes some work to get something serious
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/03/16, 22:59

other note: it is said in this book that the H2S smells bad and we must save ourselves when we feel it: it does not specify the main danger: when the rate of H2S is too strong it completely blocks the sense of smell and no longer smell, so the H2S is particularly viscous! when there are too many we do not feel it anymore! it deserves to say because too often we believe that because it smells bad we will move away before being in danger
0 x
mandrieu
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mandrieu » 13/03/16, 17:21

If you find the way to do it with a good description, it interests me well before I embarked on the manufacture of the scrubber wash described in the book. There are some details to settle before this step ...;) The author uses the filtered water of a small pond for its washing, it costs him nothing in water.
Otherwise the book talks about a H2S analyzer not too expensive, 145e anyway but it seems important to me in a biogas project: http://www.accessoiresgaz.com/detecteur ... e-t40.html
And you're right, if you feel it and feel it more, it's the beginning of the end ...
I scanned you the 2 pages that speak about purification H2S, the author will not be angry especially that this part was accessible for free on the site of the farmer workshop.
h2s2-2.jpg
H2S purification - 2 page

h2s2-1.jpg
H2S purification - 1 page

Chatelot, if you find us the way to clean the lime less than 1500 euros you're the king! Will you have to calculate the cost of lime, or find it and how to do it, cost of building the kiln you are talking about unless you can do it simpler (directly in my land?)
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/03/16, 21:14

I warm myself with crushed wood in wood chips, which I store a little anyhow, when I pick them up with a shovel on a dirt floor or there are pebbles in limestone, I find the pebbles whiter than white in the ash ... and once the ash emptied at the bottom of the garden, with the rain the white pebbles abound like quicklime!

so it is enough to pass the limestone in a fireplace to make lime

if the main purpose is to heat the wood lime production is almost free ... if you want to make lime in summer when you do not need heat it's ruinous ... but like lime is not a perishable product just do it when you need heating

lime scrubber less than 1500 euro? depending on the flow ... for a small flow the lime scrubber only costs a few jars and some pipes welded on the lids

the problem of quicklime is that it doubles in volume absorbing moisture, good to explode the container if there is no place: it is therefore more tank with pebbles lime live ask on grids for the gas to pass around

several reservoirs are needed, the last one contains new quicklime, which is good for absorbing water ... the first one contains the already damp heat that captures the CO2
0 x
mandrieu
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mandrieu » 14/03/16, 20:01

For the flow, let's take the one that is able to do the purifier by washing the book with water.
I think it's 4m3 / h. With 50% of CO2 contained in biogas (at worst).
It is therefore necessary to purify 2m3 / h of CO2. Do you have an idea of ​​the amount of lime and volume needed? You have to think about filtering lime if you do it at the same time as you heat up. Are you sure about the quality of lime to purify, is it really lively? After how long is it no longer effective, how do you know?
It should be tested, we can propose to the author to do it, he is in a process of experience, self-construction and sharing, it may interest him!
I'm looking for if I find tests with quick lime already made to see the quantities.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/03/16, 20:46

it is useless to use quicklime to absorb CO2 ... lime would suffice

quicklime starts with the absorption of water to dry, and then absorbs CO2 to turn into simple limestone

the problem of aerated lime building is that it absorbs CO2 in his bag! its life is quite short, if we buy this kind of lime too old we do not buy lime stove we buy powdered limestone that is worth nothing

quicklime has one advantage: weight 2 times lower than lime burnt ... quicklime must be stored in something waterproof ... if it is not waterproof air humidity and quicklime and the double volume! so the package cracks!

Quicklime is therefore a guarantee of quality! if the packaging is intact it is good ... the lime is a trap ... according to its date of manufacture it is partially transformed into limestone without being visible

in a future message I will put a theoretical calculation on the amount of quicklime to use ... the calculation is not finished yet but anyway it will make a thing much smaller than the water absorption
0 x
mandrieu
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mandrieu » 15/03/16, 20:54

in fact we must know the amount of co2 absorbed by the lime and also I imagine that the gas must be able to pass everywhere around the lime otherwise the yield will be bad and the amount of lime required will be more important
In short, we wait for the result of your investigations.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/03/16, 10:44

with lime, it seems that the best solution for absorbing CO2 is not to pass the gas around the lime powder, but to circulate lime milk: therefore the same principle as the water absorbing colone except that instead of pouring pure water there is pouring lime milk

it is therefore necessary to completely separate the 2 use of lime
1) quick lime in piece for a moisture absorber, when it has finished absorbing the water it is in fine powder

2) lime diluted in water to absorb CO2

what pad in the column? Valla uses a washer of plastic pipes: it mimics the raschig rings in the distillation column, it has the advantage of a large surface for a low weight, and especially a low thermal inertia which is useful for distillation ... but for a water column the low weight is useless ... so we can fill the column with simple limestone gravel

I'm not sure that the water will wet the entire surface of the plastic ring ... in the column to distil there is a liquid vapor equilibrium and it condenses everywhere so all surfaces are useful: in a column sprinkled with water, the water may leak or she wants without getting wet

with a column filled with limestone gravel, the limestone is porous, absorbs water and will necessarily be wet on all its surface

with lime watering the absorber will be smaller than with water spray, and the lower water flow
0 x
mandrieu
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mandrieu » 20/03/16, 21:11

Ok in advance.
It remains to calculate the amount of lime and therefore its cost m3 purified, I admit that chatelot seems better informed than me the top ...
Otherwise what are the advantages / disadvantages of 2 processes?
lime: no need for pressure but cost of lime
water: zero cost if we have free water like valla or if we regenerate it as the book speaks but need pressure.
The 2 processes use a column and a pump, we will finally see the material requirements for the lime process to compare investment costs.

Is there anything else?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/03/16, 21:29

with pure water the problem is not the price of water but the amount of methane dissolved in water and lost!

with lime water can be used in closed circuit so no loss of methane!

with pure water the water can not be used in closed circuit since it is saturated with CO2 ... and if it is put under vacuum to make out CO2 it also loses dissolved methane

with lime CO2 is not dissolved but chemically transformed: CO2 converts lime into limestone which settles at the bottom of the tank, and lets the water dissolve new lime
0 x