TPE first S

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
madem0is-wing
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

TPE first S

by madem0is-wing » 06/12/06, 19:56

I have to return my TPE in January and my theme is as follows: can we replace petroleum with methanol?

the problem is that I can not find a plan which holds the road Internet contains too many uncertain things and the more I look for something to know everything on the subject the more my uncertainties grow.

pourriet you help me please offer me a plan or at least let me know your knowledge on the subject?

thank you very much in advance : Mrgreen:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: TPE premiere S

by Woodcutter » 06/12/06, 21:16

madem0is-aile wrote:I have to return my TPE in January and my theme is the following: can we replace petroleum with methanol? [...]
Very succinctly and on a strictly quantitative level the answer is NO!

Now I think you need to clarify your question ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/06, 21:29

Methanol is a petroleum product ... so replacing petroleum with petroleum ... I would say ... uh ... NO (am I right?) : Mrgreen:

ps: I think you meant ethanol ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 06/12/06, 21:46

Christophe wrote:Methanol is a petroleum product ... [...]
Not necessarily, the "common name" of methanol is indeed "wood alcohol" ...

Regarding the subject of TPE: an article here.

Moreover, according to this other article the industrial synthesis of methanol is done rather from natural gas, so we cannot say that methanol is a petroleum product, even if it is a derivative of fossil hydrocarbons ...
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 06/12/06, 21:57

Christophe wrote:Methanol is a petroleum product ... so replacing petroleum with petroleum ... I would say ... uh ... NO (am I right?) : Mrgreen:

ps: I think you meant ethanol ...

Don't really agree, can you argue against it please? :|

my sources are not very diversified :D

See Universalis
Formerly called carbinol or spirit of wood (because obtained by distillation of wood)
Since 1927, it has been prepared in France by hydrogenation of carbon monoxide: CO + 2 H2 X CH3OH, Since 1927, reaction accompanied by a decrease in volume and, consequently, favored by an increase in pressure. We start from gas with water which is passed under high pressure (from 15 to 30 MPa) over catalysts (copper, zinc, uranium suboxide) heated to 300 to 400 ° C.
It can also be obtained by controlled oxidation of methane in the presence of a catalyst or by saponification of methyl chloride.

Especially since what I would be : Shock: in the case "from petroleum product" .... no?

See Universalis
- The transformation of methanol into hydrocarbons: the Mobil and IFP (French Petroleum Institute) processes for example. It is now well known in the laboratory. A factory was built in Australia to manufacture gasoline. However, if you take into account the returns above 90%. 100 of the recovery of calories and relatively lower investments than in the steam cracker, it can be said that this process opens up very encouraging avenues for obtaining ethylene, propylene and aromatics.
Last edited by delnoram the 07 / 12 / 06, 17: 40, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 06/12/06, 22:14

This is called the Kiss-Cool double effect! 8)
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 07/12/06, 19:35

Woodcutter wrote:This is called the Kiss-Cool double effect! 8)

Ben voui Lumberjack is always the fastest :D
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"

"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
madem0is-wing
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by madem0is-wing » 07/12/06, 20:30

nan christophe I was not mistaken I found that the subject of ethanol was probably a trivial subject that many high school students were going to use knowing that it is up to date. if there would be no way to make methanol myself so as to bluff my jury in January ^^
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/12/06, 20:47

Well sorry to disappoint you but methanol is mostly produced nowadays from natural gas or petroleum ... so it's not really a RES ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

http://cpgemaroc.free.fr/mp/pb/met.pdf

On the other hand, its synthesis is possible from biogas ... still it is necessary to find H2:

Methanol, crude formula CH3OH, currently synthesized from syngas (gaseous mixture of CO and H2) produced with fossil resources, can also be obtained by direct oxidation of natural gas (methane CH4), by reduction of carbon dioxide atmospheric CO2 in the presence of hydrogen, or by using syngas or biogas from biomass.

http://ecorev.org/article.php3?id_article=426

In short, it's not really the simplest and fastest renewable energy ... the more synthesis step there is, the less good the yield.
0 x
madem0is-wing
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by madem0is-wing » 07/12/06, 20:58

I'm starting to tell myself that my subject may be a little badly chosen. at first seeing methanol seemed easy to me to study and in a simple way I thought to say that we could use methane to be discharged from water purification centers for example for our energy. But all that gets complicated. Maybe ethanol is more banal but at least we have more certainties about it. Thank you very much I still have some time before giving it back I will talk to my teammate to maybe change our suejt en: is it possible to replace oil with ethanol :?

Thank you again for your help
0 x