To make a fuel algae test

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
fil68
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

To make a fuel algae test

by fil68 » 06/08/07, 11:03

Hello

New on this forum and having gone through it I am looking for some info!
I would like to try on an experimental basis to produce oil from algae (fresh water possible). I created a basin as for the culture of spirulina 02m high 5m long and 1m wide I would like to know what type of alga, ideal temperature, nutritive medium and or I can find strain to seed my basin. By reading a bit the doc I found that the oil yield increased with the "nitrogen stress" how can we manage this with a minimum of technology.

I would also like to know The simplest means of extracting oil I tinker with the African a lot of recuperated and can of means : Lol:
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 06/08/07, 12:35

welcome
for that good luck : Cheesy:
the complete unknown! : Cry:
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/08/07, 12:38

Vast questions (I ask myself a little the same in fact) ... but aquaculture is a profession, it cannot be improvised like that.

I have a little experience in the culture of spirulina and diatoms (phaeodactylum, porphyridium ...) and monitoring the culture medium is essential (I would say more delicate than with conventional agriculture).

The hard part is also to find the right strains according to the project environment. The Museum of Natural History has a package but sells them a fortune (€ 7000 of memory but it must depend on the strain obviously ...).

On this page, you will find a lot of precise documentation (but in English): https://www.econologie.com/les-micro-alg ... -1860.html

And do not hesitate to use the search engine: Fuel algae
0 x
toto65
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by toto65 » 11/08/07, 12:48

Botryococcus braunii 25–75%
Chlorella sp. 28-32%
Crypthecodinium cohnii 20%
Cylindrotheca sp. 16-37%
Dunaliella primolecta 23%
Isochrysis sp. 25-33%
Monallanthus salina> 20%
Nannochloris sp. 20-35%
Nannochloropsis sp. 31-68%
Neochloris oleoabundans 35–54%
Nitzschia sp. 45-47%
Phaeodactylum tricornutum 20–30%
Schizochytrium sp. 50-77%
Tetraselmis sueica 15–23%

Some species of microalgae produce lipid stocks of up to 80% of their weight when subjected to stress such as nitrogen deprivation or a sudden increase in light "

You feed them more. A bit like us if you think about it. By analogy deprivation of food (diet) makes us gain weight because our body has reserves.

you have created a large pool!

For me I would have taken a polycarbonate plate with aluminum U for the ends.
A sort of solar algae panel.
For the extraction of oil, I offer several avenues.
the centrifuge
the band filter
the plate filter

The centrifuge is the most interesting in my opinion.
the band filter is useful for drying but not for recovering the oil contained in the cells.
The plate filter requires handling.

I join Christophe on the fact that it is a profession and that it cannot be improvised. You should work with other people to pool your skills. Find a group together, we're stronger!

You say that you do with the means at hand.

A new band filter like this is worth over a million francs.
It will undoubtedly (we will see in September) sold for the price of scrap metal !!!! Incredible and the scrap metal there is no mass is square tube.
Find out about factory sales, we demolish quite a few in France. :frown:
They sell everything at all prices ... I can give you a name and an address. In private message.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/08/07, 17:36

After discovering the exceptional energetic properties of elephant grass and its relative great ease of cultivation, I am more than reserved on experimentation by individuals in oilseed algae ... the technical constraints are far too numerous ...

https://www.econologie.com/forums/l-herbe-a- ... t3929.html

One ha gives 5000 to 7000 L of fuel equivalent! A "basic" oilseed algae (therefore cultivable in theory in average conditions) not much more ... not to mention the embodied energy that must be removed ... In the case of miscanthus it is almost zero ... in the case of sun drying.

For the centrifuge I join you toto, a leading brand in the market is Westfalia but a machine with continuous extraction costs a fortune (in the 1M frs too) ... A centrifuge without continuous extraction with a capacity of 5 to 10kg of material "dry" (well still largely wet, it is necessary to understand material "centrifuged") it is in the 5000 € ... used but a lot of maintenance work.

Example in the case of an algae with 70% oil assuming that 100% oil is extracted (purely theoretical), a full 10kg centri would give "barely" 33L of oil ...

I'm not even talking about the power consumption of the centri ... hard hard ...

The official French site: http://www.westfalia-separator.fr/
0 x
emarmiro
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Oil from Chlorella

by emarmiro » 26/04/08, 12:12

It is possible with Chlorella but you have to make a photobioreactor. Explanation: Culture in a lagoon basin gives fairly low lipid levels, to obtain more than 30%, it is necessary to "stress the algae" by subjecting it abruptly to intense light or by depriving it of nitrogen (harder for a amateur). On the other hand, it is very important to limit the temperature to 25 ° C. For the nutrient mixture, you can use tomato fertilizer, the dosage depends on the quantity and the concentration of algae. I bought strains 45 € both, and I did transplantations. With an oil extractor (loaned) I managed to extract oil.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/04/08, 12:29

Ah very interesting ...

Could you tell us more about the extraction and the extractor?
0 x