Miscanthus in Alsace, pellets and solar!

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/08, 14:06

Yes looping but there is worse: they are economically profitable simply because their energy is subsidized ...so finally (as for wind) it is indirect nuclear ...

Unless obviously, what I hope but what I doubt see the article, if this project does NOT pass by EDF but by EnerCoop (for example), unfortunately I read that the repurchases by EnerCoop were less interesting than those by EdF ...: Evil:

A shame since at Enercoop the customer actually pays the green kwh the real price !! In short, everything is biased to maintain the stability of the energy "system" in place ...

ps: to answer your question precisely, I never found complete documentation on the LCA of PV panels ... but we can always search together ... I even created a subject: Environmental impact of photovoltaic solar: life cycle analysis but it hasn't worked ... yet ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/01/08, 14:14

loop wrote:As I said in a message on another subject, photovoltaics will be green when the energy used for their production, transport, installation, maintenance and recycling is itself photovoltaic. In my opinion, it's not for tomorrow: frown:

A+

I think we should avoid being ultra! Are you lighting a candle? Purchased from a supermarket and imported from Bangladesh? Or self-produced from sheep fat - who ate what? - saponified with soda obtained by the combustion of plants - ugh the emissions and the biological life destroyed by all these fires!

I'm kidding a little. I wrote elsewhere: living is not only dangerous (since it ends in death), it is also fatally harmful for the environment ...

I could have added that looking for the solution that has only advantages and no disadvantages is a little staying teenager and believing in an ideal world. We risk dreaming for a long time, maybe evaporating in a smoke screen ???

On the other hand: to ensure that the balance between advantages and disadvantages are as positive as possible and that the "harmfulness of life" is compatible with regenerative capacities, yes, of course, it must be done ...

The solar panels may come from China, like some water heaters ... I am not sure that the balance sheet will be bad after 15 years!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/08, 14:26

Didier you are tough, I think his question is more than legitimate and it is not extremism!

It's exactly like developing an agrofuel with an energy balance of less than 1 (which seems to be the case for bioethanol from Mais): the interest is simply NEGATIVE for planetary resources.

So it is better to stop immediately than to continue this biofuel, unless the goal is not to preserve planetary resources but to sell an "image" (for example) ...

See the news: ethanol balance sheet...

The problem with PV is that it is extremely difficult to find information on its gray energy and its life cycle ... in short on its overall impact
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 23/01/08, 15:26

Did67 wrote:- what is miscanthus? Meadows? Cereals ? Wasteland? In each case, there will be disadvantages ... Which does not mean that you should not go! If it is sustainable development, the long term must be positive!

This is what I say, but I personally listen to me! Image

christophe wrote:his question is more than legitimate and it is not extremism

for photovoltaics : Arrow: it is legitimate
for the cultivation of miscanthus : Arrow: it's not legitimate

: Arrow: Image
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 23/01/08, 15:31

I come back to the article because I had read it quickly this morning. It is not clear what they will do with photovoltaic electricity;
-will they supply large electrical resistances to dry the plant waste?

-because in this matter, they could also have done with solar thermal collectors, for at least half of the year or else they could also have done the drying with a good old biomass boiler, since they have it already biomass.

- would there not be the idea behind all of this to become a large local supplier of electricity by taking maximum advantage of national or even European subsidies (which is not mentioned)?
Shall we try to organize a guided tour when this factory turns up?

I am ready, I live not far.
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 23/01/08, 15:43

yes, that is the impression that this article gives: bet everything on maximum energy production to spare, while there are many other ways to develop a farm.

Now, one should not make a trial of intention (it is perhaps the article which "distorts") and try to organize a visit as it was proposed.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/08, 15:49

When Jean-Luc Westphal sent his letter last July requesting connection to Electricité de Strasbourg for his photovoltaic project with a power of 4,5 megawatts, the ES recalled upon receipt of the mail to "rectify the fault. Because you probably wanted to write 4,5 kilowatts, right? "

For me it is clear: 100% of the electricity will be sold to ES... Electricity of Strasbourg not to be confused with ES Eboueurs de Strasbourg (sorry it's a joke strasbourgoises null but I could not help ...).

In fact in this context, the activity of pellets becomes anecdotal ...
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 23/01/08, 16:23

Christophe wrote:In fact in this context, the activity of pellets becomes anecdotal ...

Their project seems to have 2 very distinct components:
1) resold photovoltaic
2) fuel sold

So no cogeneration or any other way to develop biomass into electricity and then sell it.
But as said, where there can be "deviance" is if the biomass is produced exclusively with a view to being sold as fuel and no longer as a production "annex" to food production. But this is what the article announces:
It also intends to develop crops known to be energetic: miscanthus for example, [...] or willow, ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/08, 16:34

Christine wrote:But as said, where there can be "deviance" is if the biomass is produced exclusively with a view to being sold as fuel and no longer as a production "annex" to food production. This is what the article announces.

Yes and so? Sorry i insist but ...

We cultivate many forests with 100% energy goal with energy yields much less interesting than miscanthus and nobody takes offense ...

These drill could very well become arable land ... or vice versa, these forests have very well been replaced years ago farmland... I'm sure it exists even if it's more the opposite happens generally ...

I also recalled an undeniable fact: the PROGRESS forest in France ... so if it's for energy use, better Miscanthus as wood ...

What is worrying with miscanthus, if it spreads, it is rather the monoculture and induced risks (biodiversity loss in particular) and impossible to jacherise since miscanthus is a perene plant: when it is planted it is for 20 years. ..
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 23/01/08, 16:48

Christophe wrote:I also recalled an undeniable fact: the PROGRESS forest in France ... so if it's for energy use, better Miscanthus as wood ...

No, and you give the reason yourself:

Christophe wrote:What is worrying with miscanthus, if it spreads, it is rather the monoculture and induced risks (biodiversity loss in particular) and impossible to jacherise since miscanthus is a perene plant: when it is planted it is for 20 years. ..

Who criticized the engineers' spycho-rigidity? damn it escapes me but I'm sure it will come back to me.
0 x