Grass as fuel

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
urok
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Turf as fuel

by urok » 16/05/18, 22:07

chatelot16 wrote:if we burn the grass or grass mixed in good proportion with crushed wood it works very well!

ok but what proportion?
To read ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/05/18, 10:08

chatelot16 wrote:if turf has a c / n ratio of 10 instead of 300 for wood, it's still mainly carbon, so it does not reduce much the calorific value ... it's just that nitrogen increases polution if we burn in a single fireplace and only turf

if you burn in a gasifier with a chemical purification of the gas before burning it became very clean ... a good gas generator can even burn clean pvc!

if we burn the grass or grass mixed in good proportion with crushed wood it works very well! the mixture with wood solves both the problem of drying for good conservation and avoids the problem of pollution by a fuel too rich in nitrogen

1) Yes, if the wood is very small, it should have little influence on NOx.

2) OK for the gasifier, with gas treatment. But who has one ???

3) For mixing, it depends on the proportion! I note that the burning of wood is already too often poorly done, with catastrophic emissions (even if many want to deny it). Among other things because the wood is not dry enough. Also because the combustions are poorly managed (regulation by choking in the summary machines). So in my opinion, as soon as the proportion of sod increases significantly, we must tend towards a colder, smothered combustion (the grass seals the wood, at first, while it dries, before burning).

I doubt this is clean burning. Not even "clean enough".
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/05/18, 11:59

at my place the proportion of grass or bush passed to the mower is very low ... mixed with tons of real wood chips ... what picks up the mower is bad alone or in high proportion

it burns in a home with air blast kind fire forge: the temperature rises quite high even with very fine fuel ... the default is rather to fly the dust and ash

these focus test are only transient: the good solution is the gazogene ... but alas there is nothing in the trade, and I am not yet ready to sell ... it is the only solution clean and efficient for burning wood
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/05/18, 13:58

Once you have everything, you agree: "at home the proportion of grass or brush passed to the mower is very low ... mixed with tons of real woodchip ... what the mower picks up is bad alone or in high proportion". It's not so much about burning grass anymore, strictly speaking!

I try to write for the greatest number, who will "throw" this in an ordinary stove or stove. And stink the entourage, in the name of the use of a "biomass" ... As I often observe it for those which heat with the logs, in bad conditions, with formation of a splendid blue halo which surrounds their house. You pass by, and it itches your throat. What does not happen in a traffic jam on the highway!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/05/18, 20:48

I agree ! bad wood heating is a calamity

it is urgent to build solutions to do better

I think, for example, that it would be better to build good biomass power plants (wood and waste) and make electricity to supply heat pumps where there is a need for heating ... the efficiency of a good heat machine and a good heat pump is better than a simple boiler ... and the thermal power plant can be of better quality not to pollute

but I do not allow myself to say that the wood heating should be forbidden ... because I prefer to build than prohibit ... before prohibiting bad wood heating it is necessary to build good biomass thermal power plants. and a good little gasifier

I tried to do it but the lack of means of realization made me lose too much time ... I see that I risk being dead before having finished ... so I change the method: I create a company to gather enough people to finish in my place ... but create an effective company in France, it is even more complicated than a gasifier! I'm not talking about creating a TPE that means Too Small Business that gets rolled by the system, which pays all too much and runs 2 years later

until a good solution is available, mixing a little grass with a lot of wood chips is an acceptable solution

I agree that it is impossible to rely solely on grass for heating
1 x
urok
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by urok » 19/05/18, 19:23

@Chatelot16: I'm interested in this story of gasogen ... You who set up a company, can you inform us about it via your website for example?
To read
0 x
urok
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by urok » 21/05/18, 07:41

more people ?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/05/18, 09:02

Yes, yes: the grass has a primordial role in a way of gardening that I have called the "Potager du Laesseux". Much better than straw. Infinitely much better than cardboard! There are over 1 pages on the subject next door.

Nature does not bow to man. It's up to man to bend to nature.

Grass is a balanced material, too rich in nitrogen to burn (there is, for this, very low nitrogen biomasses that are wood), with which one can feed domestic animals or .... the organisms living from the soil of his garden. Which will then produce a lot, without any work, without fertilizers, or treatments. Which is a disadvantage here (too much nitrogen in a fuel) becomes an advantage there (just enough nitrogen for the ration of the soil organisms to be balanced, so that they work a lot - which dispenses us from doing it - and feed our vegetables well without fertilizer additions).

The living system is coherent. It's the man who is not always!
1 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/05/18, 19:02

in the subject of the kitchen garden of lazy we see that it takes real hay which has dried and which is well preserved and which makes a useful effect even if it rains on then

but how to do it with mowed grass so that it does not rot before it is useful

I always see people around my house mowing and rotting

I think mixing grass mowing with dry wood chips can dry the grass and preserve it without loss ... it may be possible to separate it then sell it to a gardener and use it as hay

maybe if the grass contains more nitrogen than the hay and that it is too much it is enough to deliberately leave a little wood to make the good mixture, and to make "reconstituted hay" with sod and wood
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/05/18, 19:54

Maybe if the grass contains more nitrogen than the hay and it is too much, it is enough to intentionally leave a little wood to make the right mixture and to make "reconstituted hay" with sod and wood.

This is what I practice quite regularly in relining during the season. In the same vein, I willingly crush leafy branches to have a mix of wood and greenery.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."