Grass as fuel

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
urok
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Turf as fuel

by urok » 07/05/18, 10:28

Hello everybody
I agree with Chatelot16, I'm not sure that we should start a debate about who pollutes more or less, because in any case we will not achieve anything, zero pollution does not exist . Chatelot16 is right: all organic matter ends in CO2. Ok, the soil can benefit, in the case of the Mulching but I repeat, if the dump is covered with grass cut it shows that the soil anyway does not benefit.
I'm just looking for testimonials from people who have tried to use hay as fuel (because eventually hay is closer to the grass than cereals) either experimentally, like me, or who know boilers biomass or other stoves multi -fuels that would use this means of heating ... And so that would have a return on experience to communicate.
To read ...
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 07/05/18, 13:03

... if the dump sites are overgrown with turf it shows that the soil does not benefit anyway.

This shows above all an absurd management of this type of waste and by no means it is wise to adopt such a bad solution ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 07/05/18, 13:32

it is important to do what is possible with its available means

there are around me a lot of people who mow and put their grass to rot in a corner of their garden: it is thus completely lost in CO2 ... there are others who transport to the decheterie to not even clutter a little corner in their garden for the pile of grass ... the ecological result is even worse since the waste does not value it, there is just consumption of energetic in transport and the cost of operation of the waste

I would like to make available to the neighbors an effective means ... to have a large silo of woodblock, and a mechanical means of quickly mixing the mowed grass to dry it instantly and keep it without loss until the following winter. ... I have already done it in small quantities with just what I mow or brush: it works, it keeps and it burns

same principle for the grinding of the small branch: it keeps bad if there are only too small branch: it heats a bit like grass and energy is lost: in the mix with dry wood it instantly diminishes the total moisture and it does not degrade, and the finished set slowly dry
1 x
urok
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by urok » 07/05/18, 23:22

ah! Well done Chatelot16. 5 blabla pages to finally have a first testimony of someone who tried to use the turf as fuel, finally ... I did not expect more ...
If your neighbors mowed, leaving the mowed grass spread on their land for a few days, that is enough for it to dry, I have experienced, provided of course that it does not rain. Drying in the sun and wind is finally fast since the grass is well spread and quite short. Then we can store it dry, and that's it. So no need to bind it with wood chips for drying.
Now what interests me is your sentence: "it works, it keeps, it burns". I mentioned the second point. What about the other two? How does it burn: in pellets, in bundles, in briquettes? Alone or with wood? With what energy? How much to heat a home, for example? etc ... etc ... We are making progress !!! To read ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/05/18, 07:39

chatelot16 wrote:there are around me a lot of people who mow and put their grass to rot in a corner of their garden: it is thus completely lost in CO2 ... there are others who transport to the decheterie to not even clutter a little corner in their garden for the pile of grass ... the ecological result is even worse since the waste does not value it, there is just consumption of energetic in transport and the cost of operation of the waste
It is true that before arriving at "4 per thousand" there is a big waste to be solved and a whole education to be redone.
If it is deposited in the green waste, it is recycled, but with the groupings of communities of communes, this system is more and more abandoned, because it is expensive.
I have a neighbor who practices mulching, but sheds every week. Ecological result blah.
urok wrote:If your neighbors mowed, leaving the mowed grass spread on their land for a few days, that is enough for it to dry, I have experienced, provided of course that it does not rain.
I did it to give quality hay to my goat. You have to let it grow until you are sure you have 3 consecutive days of sun. It's a job to get a good result, return often to the hottest part of the day and possible only during the hottest months. You will have to pay them, your neighbors to respect the protocol.
Good luck : Mrgreen:

The rotten grass at the bottom of the garden still benefits from the soil. Bacteria that have consumed carbon, restore nutrients to the plants with each rain. Mushroom mycelium is responsible for redistribution. Slower than mulching, but not lost.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/05/18, 09:37

to let the grass dry in the sun, you have to pick it up at the rake and at the fork ... it's too much work ... especially for those who only accept work with a motor vehicle!

So empty the mower pickup box in a trailer, and empty the trailer in a shelter for the wood crab is acceptable to the neighbors because it does not do any extra work

other problem, people often mow the last days before the rain so artificial drying required

at home it's different, I spend the mower often to brush and make room before installing something: I need the place right now ... so natural drying impossible
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 08/05/18, 11:58

Your way of doing things, Chatelotis a way to get rid of a waste you have no other use for: it is only very secondarily a caloric purpose. Considered as a fuel, this herb is a very poor alternative to other possible fuels (considering the ratio of labor needed to recovered energy).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/05/18, 13:15

I agree ! that's why I use my lawnmower once a day to fill a few tanks and give them directly to my goose, who seem to appreciate and it prevents them from going to invade the meadow of a neighbor ... and as long as I find grass to mow it avoids giving them grain ... and some wonder why I pass the lawnmower at the edge of the road around my home ...

this grass represents a very poor alternative compared to other possible fuels (considering the ratio needed work / recovered energy).

in the case of this mixture of the grass with the woodblock it asks me a negligible work

a few years ago I started using grass for a methanizer: the result was frankly unprofitable ... the availability of grass is quite limited in the year ... the methanizer needs a regular diet to function effectively ... if it is not powered properly it is useless

a simple woodblock storage shelter is useful for its main function, and its use for mixing mowed grass is a detail

the mowed grass that my home is not very useful for geese because there are more than it eat in a day ... so it would rot in piles ... mixed with wood crushed it makes fuel

in another subject I will talk about the recovery of nitrogen from biomass ... it may be possible to burn without losing nitrogen
1 x
urok
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by urok » 09/05/18, 18:31

@Izentrop: no drying is not so terrible "for the neighbors". You just have to make two passes on the plot: one to cut the grass and let it dry on the ground and a second to harvest it. So a mower stroke without a bin, a stroke with a bin a few days later, and we can store dry grass ...
After, the question remains unanswered: the grass thus harvested burns it as it is or must it necessarily mix with wood to use fuel in a multi-fuel stove or a biomass boiler? Because by comparison, the straw bale burns as is but it is not, I agree, like hay (or grass). But if paper bricks are able to be used as fuel (we find commercial presses for that), it must surely work for hay no? Does anyone have this experience?
To read ...
0 x
urok
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by urok » 12/05/18, 17:17

Come on, a little up so that someone can tell me about his experience in using hay as fuel. Is not there a farmer in the corner who would have a testimony to give?
To read ...
0 x

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."