Recycling of synthetic fuel CO2?

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Recycling of synthetic fuel CO2?

by Christophe » 09/02/10, 17:49

If this is confirmed it is "huge" and it buries all the "pipoprotoype" of CO2 landfill ... which are nothing other than "chasms" with money and energy ...

https://www.econologie.com/carburant-par ... -4234.html

CO2 soon the recycled fuel with a biocatalyst?

Carbon dioxide, long identified as the main culprit of global warming, could make a new virtue if a small American company succeeded his bet to turn it into gasoline.

At first sight, the company seems as crazy as that of the medieval alchemist Nicolas Flamel, except that it is no longer a question of transforming lead into gold, but the polluting agent into clean energy.

While the Obama administration has made the fight against global warming and clean energy research a priority, the Carbon Sciences company, which has patented its findings, hopes to ride on the mobilization of policies and opinion for become the first to succeed this bet.

The small company in Santa Barbara, Calif., Says it is ready to build a first pilot plant on an operational scale that could start producing next-generation biofuel by the end of 2010.

Its operational director Byron Elton explained that he only had to find a partner to launch the project.

"Our partner can be anyone who produces a lot of CO2: a coal plant, a cement plant, a refinery ..." he said during a meeting in New York.

If a partnership were sealed within nine months, this new type of biofuel could start being produced by the end of 2010, says Elton, while acknowledging that the timeline "could be a bit ambitious." The technology developed by Carbon Sciences uses microorganisms, which it calls "bio-catalysts". (Note from econologie.com: would it be micro algae?)

First of all, it is necessary to "destabilize" the carbon dioxide by mixing it with water. Then the microorganisms, protected by specially developed polymer shells, are responsible for recomposing hydrogen and carbon to produce hydrocarbons.

The mechanism is the same as that implemented in nature, during the genesis of hydrocarbons. But in the Carbon Sciences process, "the biocatalysts are protected and reused, so gasoline can be produced at a" very, very competitive "cost price.

Other companies are on this ground

Carbon Sciences, a publicly traded company employing only 8, claims to be the most advanced in this research, but it is not the only one exploring this track.

Investor-researcher Craig Venter, whose team was the first to announce having successfully decoded the human genome in 2000, announced in February 2008 that he thought he would succeed in producing biofuel within 18 months " fourth generation ", that is to say not on an agricultural basis like ethanol, but based on carbon dioxide.

Today the J. Craig Venter Institute boasts mostly advances using algae to break down and recompose CO2 into hydrocarbons.

These initiatives are generating great interest among US officials. They are particularly popular in the United States as the country derives half of its electricity from coal plants, huge emitters of carbon dioxide, whose ecological cost is in this respect disparaged.

"The question is not whether we use coal, but how we use it," influential Democratic Senator Byron Dorgan said earlier this month.

He had specified that 3,4 billion dollars had been budgeted for this purpose in the economic stimulus plan voted at the beginning of the year. A windfall that Carbon Sciences would like to enjoy, according to Byron Elton.

Source: http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSe ... d=10727079

Official website: http://www.carbonsciences.com/
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 09/02/10, 17:55

Yes, with water, a high probability that it is algae.

The idea of ​​closed capsules, with oxygen and fuel, wood for example, whose result (water + CO2) is then recycled ...
0 x
See you soon !
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/02/10, 17:57

A priori yes but finally I think no.

If it were microalgae then the term used would not be a "catalyst" ...

A catalyst is, by definition, not "consumed" by the reaction even if it can be found (in small quantities) in the products of a reaction.

Read: http://www.carbonsciences.com/01/technology.html

Learn more about micro algae
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/02/10, 18:40

I'm angry again:

- why "invent" a confused concept: the "bio-catalyst" ???

a catalyst accelerates a reaction but does not inject energy

- it is not one of the elements of the reaction (which disappears)

To transform CO² into a carbon chain, there is no alternative but to inject energy (if necessary light, as does chlorophyll).

So this is by no means a simple catalysis!

I know of bio-catalysts: they are enzymes. But they do not "go up" either the "energetic" slopes ...

If they are living organisms, capable of effectively transforming CO² and hydro-carbon chains, why be zero to the point of calling it catalysts (even with bio before).

And if they are catalysts, even enzymes, it will not work ..

For me, they are well-known hunters or buggers, as you wish!
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 09/02/10, 18:42

Did67 wrote:hunters of notoriety

Grant hunters?
0 x
See you soon !
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/02/10, 19:06

Heh the Fat Kritikers... have you read (and analyzed) this page: http://www.carbonsciences.com/01/technology.html and watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYZ9I_aYYb4 before talking?

I am translating the most important passages in French.

It has nothing to do with microalgae for what I understood it is an enzymatic action "doped" on CO2 and H2O.

An enzyme is "encapsulated" to increase its lifespan and energy efficiency. Endothermic reaction is the one that cracks the CO2.

Another "encapsulated" enzyme provides it with the energy it needs. It's the one that cracked the H2O. Exothermic reaction.

This is why the term bio-catalysis is I think appropriate because even if the enzymes are consumed in the long term, they are not reagents strictly speaking!

On the other hand, I have not yet understood where the "primary energy" necessary for the reaction came from because the 2 reactants (H2O and CO2) being very stable molecules, it is necessary to provide an equivalent energy (at least) to their enthalpy of formation ... to crack them! Chemical energy of enzymes? Light? Heat?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/02/10, 21:13

Ah well, here is the good question comes to the end!

If they are enzymes / catalysts, they do not bring energy!

So no reduction of C and H in long hydro-carbon chains. The "miracle" of chlorophyll is that it captures light and stores energy, which is then used in the

Encapsulated, yes, why not, but what does it change?

I remain very very skeptical ... which does not exclude that I could be wrong.

But we'll know soon ... if we talk about this case or if it's another scam, under cover of pseudo-scientific verbiage.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/02/10, 23:17

H2O energy = 0
CO2 energie = 0
catalyst energy = 0

result = 0 whether the catalyst is organic or not

to make energy with CO2 it takes solar energy: what does photosynthesis in plants or algae

Nothing new under the sun

of course, by torturing the mind a little, we can consider chlorophyl as a catalyst: it does not carry energy, it just allows the reaction:
chemical without energy + sun = energetic chemical
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/02/10, 08:41

Christophe quoted:

carbon dioxide must be "destabilized" by mixing it with water

Will we be able to ride Perrier? :D

It's even more expensive than gas! : Cry:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/02/10, 09:53

chatelot16 wrote:catalyst energy = 0

False, an enzyme can bring biochemical energy. This is why it breaks down during the reactions. And enzymes is super expensive, it is THE major problem of biofuels 2ieme generation (lignocellulosic = it takes a lot of energy to turn the cellulose or lignite into sugars).

The trick of carbon science would be to use doped "super enzymes" ... which wear out much less quickly.

Well if you do not read English I will translate the passage of the most important page ... but it's still pretty light!
0 x