Biogas ... from cellulosic waste!

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Biogas ... from cellulosic waste!

by Elec » 04/02/09, 01:42

Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute have developed a biogas production unit that works exclusively on grain waste. (...) "Corn stalks contain cellulose which cannot be directly fermented. But in our factory, the cellulose is broken down by enzymes before fermentation begins."(...) The biomass is usually kept in the fermentation tank for 80 days. Here, the pre-treatment of the biomass reduces this phase to 30 days, which increases the general efficiency of the system. The researchers thus succeed in generate 30% more biogas than existing processes A high temperature fuel cell completes the device by converting the gas into Electricity supply, with a efficiency of 40 to 55% (...)
http://www.enerzine.com/6/6879+avancees ... oles+.html

Electricity from straw - Researchers have developed the first-ever biogas plant to run purely on waste instead of edible raw materials - transforming waste into valuable material. The plant generates 30 percent more biogas than its predecessors. A fuel cell efficiently converts the gas into electricity (...) If the electrical and thermal efficiency are added up, the fuel cell has an overall efficiency of up to 85 percent. - http://www.physorg.com/news152878602.html

This is the most efficient way to recover waste.
Bravo to the researchers at Fraunhofer.

Much more interesting (and by far!) Than producing cellulosic ethanol from this cellulosic waste, the combustion of which in a low-efficiency tehrmic engine will poison the air we breathe.
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 04/02/09, 02:05

: Evil:

The false good idea par excellence!

Corn straw IS NOT WASTE! Crushed on site or buried, it returns part of what the culture has extracted to the soil: always that much less to add as an amendment the following year.

In our intensive crops, the soils are sorely lacking in organic matter, they are destructured, compacted or easily washed out by the rains. It's really not worth removing even more!

Econology must take into account ecology (science, not the political movement).
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 04/02/09, 02:13

You are right: we must take care to preserve the quality of our soils.
Cellulosic waste comes in large quantities from the food industry. Rather than valuing them as cellulosic ethanol as it is starting to do, the path presented is much more relevant (when we burn the ethanol then in a heat engine, we pollute to the max; here, we get electricity + heat, with a high overall yield). And we get at the methanizer output (in addition to biogas), a fertilizer for crops. So it's a great idea.

It is true that there are other ways of producing electricity, but with biogas, we produce electricity when we want, for example in addition to solar (CSP, PV) at night.
Last edited by Elec the 04 / 02 / 09, 02: 24, 1 edited once.
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 04/02/09, 02:20

Yes, you're right, I'm getting carried away, the subject of soils and rivers is sensitive to me.

If the process in question makes it possible to treat other materials rich in cellulose, then I say bravo!

But let's leave the straws in the fields.
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET

Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 04/02/09, 02:21

highflyaddict wrote:Yes, you're right, I'm getting carried away, the subject of soils and rivers is sensitive to me.

In my opinion it is an excellent sensitivity;)
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 04/02/09, 02:29

Yes, thank you!

Here, so I had read it well:
Researchers from the Fraunhofer Institute have developed a functioning biogas production unit exclusively cereal waste.

When they do it with sawdust or shavings, it will be much better!

well, it's late,Image !
Last edited by highfly-addict the 04 / 02 / 09, 02: 33, 1 edited once.
0 x

Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 04/02/09, 02:32

If it works with cellulose from cereal waste, it can work with cereal-based food waste ...
0 x

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."