Nano-spike catalyst: CO2 + water + electricity = ethanol

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Catalyst Nano-spike: CO2 + water + electricity = ethanol

by moinsdewatt » 04/11/16, 22:14

hudax wrote: exact "it's not won" as in any new idea in opposition to the oil, gas or nuclear lobbies

Just as the process requires electricity, the nuclear is delighted to sell its production. : Idea:
0 x
hudax
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hudax » 05/11/16, 09:25

moinsdewatt wrote:
hudax wrote: the process requires electricity, the nuclear industry is delighted to sell its production. : Idea:

partially exact: at certain times of the day (or night) EDF has huge electricity surplus, but future ethanol producers demand a little electricity but all day long to make their installation profitable
this problem already exists with the electrolysers (hydrogen) technology exists, the natural gas network can serve as a reservoir but the electricity surpluses are difficult to predict so very little investment in this area
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/11/16, 10:49

http://forums.futura-sciences.com/actua ... ost5728185
It's clear, let's do the photosynthesis and go back to take a nap :)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/16, 10:53

And? What do ayatollahs say about FS who always know everything (better than others?)?

Certainly the same thing as here ... shit, we're also ayatollahs : Mrgreen:
0 x
hudax
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hudax » 10/11/16, 10:43

here is an interesting link of a project in finland: http://newatlas.com/carbon-dioxide-fuel ... tec/46362/
this reactor transforms CO2 + H2 => ethanol but also methane into ethanol
interesting for a gasifier
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/11/16, 19:39

when a process uses electrical energy, the output must be good!

when using solar energy, the efficiency is less important because there is no meter on the sun! photosynthesis does not have a big yield but has a great advantage: it works alone without inventing anything!

when solar energy is used, the cost is not solar light but the price of the sensor: photosynthesis has one more advantage: plants grow by themselves! and algae

3eme advantage of photosynthesis: naturally able to capture the CO2 from the atmosphere ... no other current means can concentrate the CO2 air without excessive energy expenditure

practically using photosynthesis, it is energy plant farming, including the forest drill ... the cultivable surface is not infinite but can be increased widely, either by irrigation of the too dry area in the south or by planting good species in the north in the area that becomes less cold because of the current warming

warming is a problem but we must also make a solution ... it is too late to avoid warming up ... we can try to slow it down ... but the main one and use it!
0 x
hudax
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hudax » 12/11/16, 12:10

chatelot16 wrote:when a process uses electrical energy, the output must be good!

when using solar energy, the efficiency is less important because there is no meter on the sun! photosynthesis does not have a big yield but has a great advantage: it works alone without inventing anything!

in fact, the solar energy yield may be less good but it will also require an efficient storage process to use this electricity during 24 h (better profitability of ethanol production)
this reasoning also applies to excess electricity from nuclear generation
for example, EDF installed its hydrogen production project in Dunkirk near its nuclear power plants (6) and not next to a wind farm
Fortunately, progress has been made in recent months in the electrical storage
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/11/16, 16:22

photosynthesis does not only serve as a solar collector: it also stores

when we calculate the yield of photosynthes we find a shabby figure: but the product is storable without loss: it should not be compared to 16% of photovoltaics alone, it must be compared to photovoltaic x storage medium, and with the method of use of CO2 of this subject the result is lower than photosynthesis

this means of transforming CO2 and electricity into ethanol needs expensive catalyst and materials whose profitability is currently impossible ... photosynthesis uses the sun, the CO2 of the air and the earth that one has under the feet for build yourself ... there is only help it to cover more surface!
1 x
Liliane14
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Liliane14 » 20/01/17, 17:10

Hello,
I was far from suspecting that such a discovery had been made. I'm learning a little bit more every day since I registered on this forum. I am delighted to have come across this discussion which allows me to learn about the subject. Thank you for sharing all this information with us.
See you soon
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/05/17, 14:17

A Belgian process that can be similar to that of this subject: https://www.moniteurautomobile.be/actu- ... ovant.html

Belgians recycle fuel pollution

A team of scientists from the University of Antwerp and the University of Leuven (KUL) have developed a small device that cleans the air. But in addition, it turns this pollution into fuel: hydrogen.

Removing the stale air of our cities is a challenge that many scientists face. But if in addition, we can recycle the pollution into something useful, it's all bonus. A Belgian team (University of Antwerp and University of Leuven) has managed this challenge. They imagined a device transforming the pollution of the air into hydrogen. The H2 can then be used as fuel for fuel cell cars. What a stone 2 shots by counterbalancing carbon emissions.

Technology

Belgian researchers have developed their device using "heterogeneous photocatalysis" as well as nanomaterials and a photoelectrochemical cell. Behind all this jargon lies a process that transforms polluted air into hydrogen through a catalyst and sunlight. The small apparatus has two chambers separated by a membrane. In the 1re, the air is purified with a photoanode. In the 2de, a cathode behind the solid electrolyte membrane degrades the residues to extract the hydrogen, much like the electrolysis of water.

Not for now

Its use is simple: just place it in the light and provide a means of recovery and storage of the H2. This hydrogen can then feed the FCEV cars. At present, the Belgian researchers have just made a small device of a few square centimeters. So difficult to clean up a city with such equipment. Nevertheless, Belgian researchers around Prof. Sammy Verbruggen have succeeded in demonstrating its feasibility. It only remains to improve the process before possibly studying its industrialization. Which is certainly not for now

I would like to know more about the chemical equations involved because I do not know many air pollutants that have hydrogen atoms to convert? :?: :?: :?:
0 x