HVP Fuel: comparative combustion oil palm oil

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

HVP Fuel: comparative combustion oil palm oil

by Christophe » 14/09/06, 18:07

150 Operating Hours of a Palm Oil Diesel Engine by http://www.codeart.org

Comparative test reports of two identical diesel engines are powered, one with diesel oil and the other with palm oil. This method makes it possible to have a continuous comparison of the operation of the engines thanks to a series of measurements carried out regularly. The analyzes focus on assessing the durability of the engine running on palm oil.

To download here
Last edited by Christophe the 06 / 05 / 07, 17: 35, 3 edited once.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 14/09/06, 22:52

Very good this report!
I'm waiting to see the next on 500 or 1000 h ...

If only an oily man was "crazy" (and lucky) enough to do this with a car ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/06, 22:55

Woodcutter wrote:I'm waiting to see the next on 500 or 1000 h ...

There will not be any ... the engine will have sere before :(

Finally without engine modifications I mean ...
Last edited by Christophe the 07 / 09 / 09, 10: 10, 1 edited once.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 14/09/06, 23:51

Why?
Do you rely on chrome in oil?
A "tightening" for me is the jamming of the piston in the cylinder or there, they did not detect any wear at this level, I think that it comes rather from the low engine or the camshaft bearings .

PS: you never answered me on the Neander ....
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 15/09/06, 05:21

Hello
nice tests well documented
For the metalic residue in the engine B it looks like a new engine in break-in period.
I do not know if the engine bearings are mounted on the chrome, but it is often the first segment that is chrome and it is he who leaves the most particles at break-in, the bearing is rather antimony , or regulates, the worn even if it is chrome it is not in 150 hours that it produces so many particles not even ground. Aluminum is as high as it is in the break-in piston, the other test is that it should swap the fuel in the engines.

What this confirms to us more precisely, what I found
less power with oil
more temperature has escape, even more marked if we keep the original setting (Good for the reactor) I had noticed ..
slightly more clogging with oil
exhausted almost identical to diesel except the diffrent scent in slow motion.
a consume slightly higher with the oil

What I found is on a car less top speed
less acceleration, but it can come from the fact that even the heated oil has 75 c in my case it does not pass as well in the diesel filter and it behaves like a partially clogged filter Tomorrow I put a new filter and I retest .

The big differrence between this test and on a car is the number of cold start especially those who walk in monoreservoir with oil mixture strong enough, or those who walk bi resevoir and who transfer too quickly to the oil or who do not purge enough (it takes an 5 to 6 km to purge,
All these conditions of cold and prolonged slow running make a significant dilution of the oil and a fouling of the first segments important scrub. It is necessary that one opens the engine of the jetta it has made close to 50 000 km has strong% of oil following the seasons of 90% has 10% with the last disassembly before the 50 000 km the segments of fires were taken solid, in the gorge, after doing a mechanical scraping and cleaning pass the stones to remove the glaze, replace the segments the engine has a good walk, despite its 50 000km oil still works but we feel that it blows hard by the breather .
The main modification was to switch the demo to 24 volts for almost instantaneous start-ups, which regulated the problem of dilution at start-up, and lastly there were candles made and it was inset for the start-ups, resulting in a start of exfoliation.

In summary to roll the oil on an auto it takes certain conditions

always start with diesel
the engine must be at its temperature 90c
the oil must be between 70 and 80c
only at this moment transferred to the oil

the engine must be requested (not famous in traffic and long idle.

The purge must be done long enough, (6 km in my case)
the engine oil to be monitored if the level does not rise (dilution)
the fuel oil must be well filtered, deposited. to eliminate animal fat

a prewash pump or a system so that the vane pump does not cavitate, it is hard to suck oil through the fuel filter which is not very big.

To have oil to 80c it is necessary a good heater largely dimenssioné and for that it is necessary to eliminate the return to the resevoir and to put the system in loop.

apart from that it works well, for the good trip, to make 10 km better to stay in diesel especially if it is cold ..

Andre
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 15/09/06, 15:41

You who are very strong in motors, you will probably be able to answer these questions that I ask myself:
  • Why did you choose palm oil when, among all the vegetable oils, the one that poses the most problems of viscosity since it is in the solid state at ambient temperature?

This implies (as can be seen in the report of the experiment) a thermally insulated supply system and above all 2 oil heating systems which further reduces the overall efficiency of the "oil" option by compared to the "diesel" option.
  • Whenever I read information about vegetable oil in engines (especially Econology and Oliomobile), the oil was be filtered at 1μm. Here, their oil is filtered at 10μm.
    10 particles, which are therefore larger in the injection system, are thus allowed to pass.
    Can this difference be explained by the "hardiness" of this Indian engine compared (for example) to a common-rail, or can we attribute certain negative measures to the engine having run on oil (I think , for example, at higher carbon deposits in engine B)?

Thank you to all the great gurus of the engine who will want to light my lantern.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/06, 15:47

Woodcutter wrote:Why?
Do you rely on chrome in oil?
A "tightening" for me is the jamming of the piston in the cylinder or there, they did not detect any wear at this level, I think that it comes rather from the low engine or the camshaft bearings .

Yes it was an "image" when I said tightening ... it would be rather biele casting ... because they spoke well of the faster deterioration of the lubricating fluid in oil operation ... which I'm worried that palm oil has a cetane number close to that of diesel (in short it is the "best" oil for this criterion) ... Which implies that with other oils there is a risk to be much worse ...

Woodcutter wrote:PS: you never answered me on the Neander ....

I did not have to see the post ... I can not follow all the subjects ... remind me the post in MP stp ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/06, 15:53

Targol wrote:Why did you choose palm oil when, among all the vegetable oils, the one that poses the most problems of viscosity since it is in the solid state at ambient temperature?

It is the least fluid but the one with the combustion behavior (cetane index) almost the same as the diesel (2 or 3 point 50) ... Once warmed is the best oil. Other vegetable oils have cetane number from 25 to 35 at best ...

If you agree with the filtration, 1micro is not very ... 5 is enough. Onboard high pressure cabin filters are at 2 microns, the standard diesel between 2 and 10 I think ... so filtering 1 is useless ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 15/09/06, 16:02

Ok, thank you for these clarifications.
On the other hand, what consequences can this "filtering fault" have on the operation of such an engine?

PS: I just celebrated my 500ème messagiversaire : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/06, 16:28

Targol wrote:Ok, thank you for these clarifications.
On the other hand, what consequences can this "filtering fault" have on the operation of such an engine?

Deterioration of the elements of injection which can cause, in the long term, much worse (destruction of the engine) ... in addition the filtering does not solve the problem of bacteria (with recycled oil), nor of water (although some filter remove the water but wear the coffee filters) or non-constant viscosity (even despite extra warming) due to the composition of the oil rarely constant ...

Targol wrote:PS: I just celebrated my 500ème messagiversaire : Mrgreen:

Bravo :)
0 x