Fuel: GTL in an AIRBUS A380

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Fuel: GTL in an AIRBUS A380

by jean63 » 01/02/08, 15:13

An A380, powered by liquid gas, performs a first test flight

A giant A380 plane took off on Friday for a first test flight, being partially fueled with a liquid synthetic fuel (GTL) derived from gas, to link the Airbus site in Filton, near Bristol (south-west of England) to its headquarters in Toulouse in three hours.

The European aircraft manufacturer has chosen for these tests the very large carrier, put into service last year, because it is the airliner with the lowest fuel consumption on the market..

For this test, only one of the four Trent 900 reactors from the British engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce will be supplied with this synthetic fuel, the other three running on conventional kerozene.

"This will allow us to assess the differences in engine reaction," said Sebastien Remy, director of the research program for alternative fuels at Airbus, at a press conference in Filton, before takeoff.

The synthetic fuel was supplied by the Anglo-Dutch oil tanker Shell. According to Airbus, "it has interesting characteristics for air quality, and has advantages in terms of consumption compared to kerosene. It therefore has a very low sulfur content.".

continuation of the article:
http://www.boursorama.com/infos/actuali ... ws=5102843
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Remundo

by Remundo » 01/02/08, 23:10

Hi Jean,

What is so interesting about this ad :?: ... I mean that in terms of pollution, we roast impossible gas instead of fossil kerosene?

The gas emits maybe a little less CO2 because the carbon chains are shorter ... me finally ....

I might have missed an episode :?:

@+
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 01/02/08, 23:40

Hello Remundo

What are we improving ??? The diversity of supplies?

The reduction in the quantity of CO2 released seems a good thing, but we must take stock of the overall picture. The tanks are certainly heavier (in pressure) and it is necessary to compare with equal calorific value for the fuel, it will perhaps take more GTL to hold the plane in the air and in total ????

And the additional space occupied by the tanks will sooner or later be at the expense of the payload, therefore with an influence on the cost per kilometer.

All this is not to mention the new risks of fire and explosion. (kerosene, it has flaws but at least it does not ignite easily ...) : Mrgreen:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 01/02/08, 23:45

Certainly one more announcement effect.

This evening there was a report in the JT FR2 at 20 p.m.

The engine behaved well, hence ==> the A380 will be able to fly "green" !! : Mrgreen: : Lol:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
balrotz
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by balrotz » 03/02/08, 17:36

so ? what did they say on the newspaper? ( I watched :( )
0 x