E85 ethanol kit for gasoline vehicles -> Who tried?

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

E85 ethanol kit for gasoline vehicles -> Who tried?

by davidex » 10/01/08, 16:35

Hello,

Online stores sell (420 €) an e85 kit in the form of an electronic box which allows you to know the fuel composition of your tank ("normal" gasoline, bioethanol, or a mixture of the two), and calculates the best air / fuel for the engine.

It allows petrol vehicles (not bi-fueled) to run either on normal petrol or bi-ethanol.

Starting from 60 liters of SP95 at € 1,30 / L and E85 at € 0,80 / l, you save € 30 per tank. and the system is amortized in 14 full (less than a year for me).

Who knows or has already tried this system?

D.

Edit: modify by moderation, no advertising link please
0 x
- Audacious Fortuna Juvat -
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: E85 ethanol kit for gasoline vehicle -> Who tried

by Chatham » 10/01/08, 16:50

davidex wrote:Starting from 60 liters of SP95 at € 1,30 / L and E85 at € 0,80 / l, you save € 30 per tank. and the system is amortized in 14 full (less than a year for me).

Who knows or has already tried this system?

Yeah, but it eats 30% more must also integrate that ... I saw a German who drives an Alfa 156 equipped with a box: he is satisfied, the engine is even more powerful than the origin, but of course it consumes more ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: E85 ethanol kit for gasoline vehicle -> Who tried

by Targol » 10/01/08, 17:13

Chatham wrote:Yeah, but it eats 30% more must also integrate that ... I saw a German who drives an Alfa 156 equipped with a box: he is satisfied, the engine is even more powerful than the origin, but of course it consumes more ...

In any case, even if it is economically profitable (profitability due in large part to tax refunds), it will never be ecologically interesting.

In addition, we must also find a pump that distributes it !!!
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/08, 17:18

And nothing proves that it does not accelerate the aging of the engines ...

The difference between a Flex engine and its "gasoline" counterpart is not limited to a computer box ...
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 10/01/08, 17:45

Christophe wrote:And nothing proves that it does not accelerate the aging of the engines ...

No engines, but peripheral equipment in contact with the fuel because the materials are not specially adapted as with real flex fuel ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/08, 17:56

Uh a valve and its seat it is part of the equipment or the engine? : Mrgreen:

See specific characteristics of the renault flex fuel engine
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 10/01/08, 19:31

Christophe wrote:Uh a valve and its seat it is part of the equipment or the engine? : Mrgreen:

Neither the seats nor the valves wear out faster compared to the SP95, but there is a risk of oxidation of the intake valves (depends on their nature which varies according to the engines) ...
0 x
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by davidex » 10/01/08, 20:30

Chatham wrote:Neither the seats nor the valves wear out faster compared to the SP95, but there is a risk of oxidation of the intake valves (depends on their nature which varies according to the engines) ...

Can you cite your sources (articles, reviews, tests, websites) on this risk of valve oxidation or accelerated engine wear? Because I would like to know if this risk is real and confirmed, or just "hypothetical".
0 x
- Audacious Fortuna Juvat -
poissnight
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by poissnight » 10/01/08, 20:44

Good evening, personally, I ordered an E85 conversion kit (box increasing the injection times).

I will test, I think it works well except for the cold start or I will place a fuel heater if necessary.

It is true that I also worried about the oxidizing and corrosive nature of ethanol.

This is solved on the so called "flex" models by treating the pistons, valves and valve seats according to the research I have done.

It would therefore seem that E85 is a little more aggressive than gasoline because it is "drier", still according to my research, it seems that this fabulous treatment is not absolutely necessary to run on E85 and that an original vehicle will be perfect, I think that these "treatments" carried out by the manufacturers of flex cars, do that in a concern of guarantee, of seriousness and above all of marketing ....

That said E85 is good from an economic point of view for my wallet, but ecologically, it's not too much ...

But personally I think it is better to drive on E85 than on petrol provided that not everyone does the same ...

PS: By the way, I have the possibility of having full auto E85 kits, with connection to the lambda probe for fuel detection and automatic injection adjustment, if you are interested, 300 € the kit, unfortunately I don't little not have a lot so if I can make some people benefit ...

Yours ...
0 x
poissnight
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by poissnight » 10/01/08, 21:09

It's still me, it seems that I found a way to overcome the problem of aggressiveness of the E85 on the valves / valve seats

The solution: to install a graphite, a graphite is a small system allowing the lubrication of the top engine (cylinder head) by an injection of an "oily" compound by the admission.

The kit, simple to install, is highly recommended for LPG vehicles with low lubricating power, a bit like ethanol, the complete kit with lubricant can cost around 80 €

One liter can every 10-15000km and 1 liter will cost around € 15.

I think this solution makes it possible to overcome the "fear" of HS valve seats and I think that even with this purchase, economically it remains interesting ...

It's up to you, but the solution exists: a graphiter
0 x