Car carburetor conversion to E85?

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Car carburetor conversion to E85?

by fracass » 24/02/22, 09:06

For the carb, I used a solex zx carb. Like that it worked very well with gasoline, brown spark plugs. So I changed the nozzles, you have to increase the surface area by about 30%.
First body jet increased from 120 to 130
That of the second from 130 to 160
And the idle jet from 40 to 50

It runs flawlessly.
In fact, you can run lean on ethanol with no problem, so just set stoichiometric for a winter mixture and it will be universal. I've been running for a while and it works great
I bought a broadband afr to polish it all up.

Obamot, you talk about damaging the valve seats, why would that damage them, it seems like an urban legend to me, do you have specific sources?
At the limit on cast iron seats ok, it must eat them like unleaded would, but steel seats...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/02/22, 11:44

fracass wrote:For the carb, I used a solex zx carb. Like that it worked very well with gasoline, brown spark plugs. So I changed the nozzles, you have to increase the surface area by about 30%.
First body jet increased from 120 to 130
That of the second from 130 to 160
And the idle jet from 40 to 50

It runs flawlessly.
In fact, you can run lean on ethanol with no problem, so just set stoichiometric for a winter mixture and it will be universal. I've been running for a while and it works great
I bought a broadband afr to polish it all up.

Obamot, you talk about damaging the valve seats, why would that damage them, it seems like an urban legend to me, do you have specific sources?
At the limit on cast iron seats ok, it must eat them like unleaded would, but steel seats...

I drove with a dozen cars with ethanol and did not notice any problem. So indeed, urban legend, but it was E85. If you're sure of your shot... that's the main thing : Oops: : Mrgreen:

Right now I'm running E85 on a Ford Mondeo 2.0i. I haven't changed anything, except that I put iridium spark plugs to improve cold starts. I sometimes add 10% SP95 when it's really cold so as not to shoot my battery in 1 winter : Mrgreen: I just forced the on-board computer (by different and successive mixture levels) to push it beyond its factory settings, so that it accepts “E85 within its low tolerances (I sometimes have a message alert on “poor” but it works.. And I can “quit” the error message with an OBDII interface...)

The problem is that it easily consumes 3l./100km more....
I asked a dealer if we could enrich the mixture, they don't want to get wet, he said no, it was the on-board computer that did it and they "couldn't fix anything

So I'm a little afraid to change the injector rails if the computer doesn't know that the job has been done (since there's no way for it to know)... So I just this side...

But I would like to do something that works and reduce my consumption, not easy on an “injection”.

I thought of putting an “air brake” on the inlet filter with a microfiber cloth over the entire surface and to simulate “a clogged air filter”, because that at least would not disturb the operation of the computer and he would have to deal with it. And with “less air” the enrichment “fuel percentage VS air volume” would be a little restored (am I naive?) : Mrgreen: It could work if the computer can handle it, but I haven't tested it yet => what do you think?
0 x
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 24/02/22, 12:56

A friend has passed several cars injected with e85, in general the computer accepts without flinching, by doing as you did, in stages, and when it comes to a stop, it changes the injectors, or more simply puts a pressure regulator adjustable fuel and increases the pressure a little, and the most obd error
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/02/22, 13:26

fracass wrote:A friend has passed several cars injected with e85, in general the computer accepts without flinching, by doing as you did, in stages, and when it comes to a stop, it changes the injectors, or more simply puts a pressure regulator adjustable gasoline and increase the pressure a little, and most obd error

And drop in consumption?
0 x
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 24/02/22, 13:28

Oh no, consumption increase : Mrgreen:
approximately 15% more at iso power
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 24/02/22, 13:36

It is done by reprogramming on an electronic injection. the computer will manage with the information from the lambda as long as the fuel requirements do not go beyond the limits injected by the fuel system.

My boss has a ford galaxy flexfuel 150cv... It runs on E85. His galaxy has barely 120 km, the engine consumes oil in an astonishing way, like 000 liters to do 2 km on the highway... Despite this, no smoke from the exhaust, the spark plugs are white like slag shit, I I inspected no external oil leaks, the catalyst must burn everything... In short, it still works but for how long...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/02/22, 14:03

I confirm, I consume a little oil but no more than when I had my Toyota 1,6l and I said ......gas! : Mrgreen:

Must say that the E85 it hard. And it "cleans" you any engine... you drive with alcohol hips... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/02/22, 14:06

fracass wrote:Oh no, consumption increase : Mrgreen:
approximately 15% more at iso power
Yes but there if I pull the wad a little I go from 13,6l to 18l. easy : Mrgreen:

If it was just 15%... : Shock:
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 24/02/22, 19:42

A not too bad video that explains how to drive on ethanol without taking too much risk for the engine:

If you have an ODB that can read the values ​​the guy is talking about.
It would allow to see if by restricting the arrival of air it allows to limit the compensations carried out and thus to consume less.
1 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/02/22, 19:56

Great idea, thank you very much!
0 x