Agro-Biofuels: Overall Performance

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...

Agro-biofuel

You can select 1 option

Consult the results
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 04/02/09, 04:43

"Agrofuels proponents are dreamers. This is reflected in solid work published in Environmental Research Letters by a quintet of American researchers. Instead of looking at the hypothetical benefits of plant fuels in terms of the greenhouse effect , they tried to assess their real production capacity, at the cost of a detailed review of the data available on twenty types of crops in 238 countries, states and territories on the planet. The verdict: the production capacity announced by proponents of agrofuels is largely overvalued, sometimes twice what it is actually (...) "
http://effetsdeterre.fr/2009/02/03/agro ... rendement/

Resetting global expectations from agricultural biofuels
Matt Johnston et al 2009 Environ. Res. Lett. 4 014004 (9pp) doi: 10.1088 / 1748-9326 / 4 / 1 / 014004

Abstract. Aggressive renewable energy policies have helped the biofuels industry grow. However, while they are important, they are commonplace, and they are commonplace, the potential for further attention. Here we present a new biofuel yield analysis based on the global agricultural census data. These new data give us the first opportunity to consider geographically-specific patterns of biofuel feedstock production in different regions, across global, continental, national and sub-national scales. Compared to earlier biofuel yield tables, our global results show overestimates of biofuel yields by ~ 100% or more for many crops. To encourage the use of regionally-specific data for future biofuel studies, we have calculated results for 20 feedstock crops for 238 countries, states, territories and protectorates.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1748-9326/4/1/014004/

Yields with ethanol (world average), depending on the type of plant
Orange and red bars: values ​​that were retained so far, but completely challenged by this global study. Black bar: average obtained with this study.
Gray: worldwide - Developed countries: green - Developing country: blue

Yields with oil (global average), depending on the type of plant:
Figure 2. Revised estimates of global biofuel crop yields. (a) Global ethanol yields, (b) Global biodiesel yields. (Box plots represent the variation of yields for common biofuel crops.) The horizontal black bars represent median yields, and the boxes are 25th percentile yields on the bottom and 75th percentile yields on the top The whiskers (in light gray) represent the absolute minimum and maximum yield values ​​recorded in the M3 cropland datasets. of the biofuel feedstock yield estimates, reported by the Worldwatch Institute [18] and Brown [16] respectively, please note, the results for the sorghums are compared to Brown's estimate for sweet sorghum, which is a different and traded commercially.)

It's even more mediocre than I thought! For example, I took 5000 liters for palm oil, the champion, and it's only 3800! And for Jatropha ("beaver"), I took 1500 liters per hectare in my calculations and it is only 500 liters per hectare!
This global study has shown that one has overestimated so far factor 2 the ethanol yields obtained by many plants: maize, wheat, sorghum, barley, cassava, sugar beet; same for oil yields for Jatropha, coconut, peanut, sunflower, rapeseed etc.

With micro-algae, some announce 30 000 liters per hectare. I bet we will arrive, at best, at just 10 000 liters per hectare. Cost of the liter obtained? More than 5 euros per liter for industrial installations (10 euros per liter for small-scale, artisanal installations).
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 04/02/09, 19:10

Thank you elec for presenting this publication that I will read at rest ... Just a pity to continue to debate the use of agrofuels competing with food. Make fuel with potatoes when people are starving next, no thanks ... Many agree ...

It would require very specific studies for second and third generation biofuels ... Too expensive?
[url = manicore] http://www.manicore.com/documentation/esclaves.html [/ url] wrote:As a first approximation, a human being performing very "physical" work therefore consumes around 5 kWh per day.

This is where we start to measure the fantastic "power leap" that has happened to our species by domesticating fossil fuels: with 1 euro, I buy myself 1 liter of gasoline, which contains 10 kWh of energy ( approximately), that is to say the equivalent of the consumption of 2 "slaves" during a complete day. And would oil be expensive?

So 10 € / liter, why not? In addition, it is the best way to induce R&D for energy sobriety: 3000 km with 1 liter of fuel at the Eco-Shell Marathon !?

Already, all landfill fuels are a simple way to avoid the financial pitfall of depollution. It requires a bit of will to leave the usual practices of burning flaring methane that escapes from our landfills ... To make the investment in anaerobic digestion tanks profitable, you do not have to wait ten years if you account the European taxes CO2 avoided.

Then, we talked about it, the micro-algae are quite technical to cultivate with good yields and very few industrialization experiments take place (Elec has linked in the previous pages qqs link). For the moment the price remains that of a production intended for academics ...

I will see many marine farms at the foot of the maritime wind farm ... with a few hundred hectares grown: 1 000 m3 of oil per year in addition to the [url = 194 MW of the new Lincolshire Park] http: // www .greenunivers.com / 2008 / 10 / 989 the-great-britain-World No. 1-de-leolien offshore-devant-le-denmark / [/ url]. Let 9,2 GWh / year be additional.

Finally ... uh ... good appetite, there are still agrarian surfaces ...
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 04/02/09, 19:38

minguinhirigue wrote: 10 € / liter, why not?

Why not ... But in the face of the competition of the electric, it is the pipe-breaker assured.
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 04/02/09, 22:25

Electricity, today there are semi-slaves, real ones, in Niger or in other mines that work to provide the average French, including me, its energy equivalent of 8 daily convicts ...

I am sorry to say that the real price of French electricity should be much higher. But politics and state robberies allow such absurdities.

The wind turbine kWh is aligned between 10 and 20 ct while the thermal kWh (liter of vegetable oil: 5 and 10 € for 9,2kWh) is aligned around 60ct and 1 €. 3 to 10 times more expensive. Can we still consider lowering the production costs of algo-fuels? I do not know ?
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 04/02/09, 22:34

minguinhirigue wrote: The wind turbine kWh is aligned between 10 and 20 ct ...
wind kWh = 8 eurocents.

The wind turbine kWh is aligned between 10 and 20 ct while the thermal kWh (liter of vegetable oil: 5 and 10 € for 9,2kWh) is aligned around 60ct and 1 €. 3 to 10 times more expensive.

It is also necessary to take into account the difference of yield between a thermal car and an electric car (factor 4 ...). The gap is widening ... and becomes gulf.

In addition, here are some very promising technologies for lowering the cost of wind energy per year:

- ExRo Technologies, a startup based in Vancouver, BC, has developed a new generation of wind energy generators. It could lower the cost of wind turbines while increasing their power output by 50 percent (...)
http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/21666/?a=f

- Laser Sensors for Wind Turbines - A system that detects gusts before they arrive reduces wear, boosts output (...)
http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/21643/?a=f
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 06/02/09, 14:32

Hi Elec, for the wind you think that the cost is 8 ct / kWh also for micro-wind turbines?

Other little english news article : up to 18% of UK gas from landfills in 2020!

For the moment, biogas from landfills and wastewater treatment plants provides only 1% of UK gas.

A report from National Grid, a company of electricity and gas mainly located in the Northeast of the United States and Great Britain, published on Monday 2 February figure to 10 billion pounds (11,2 billion euros) the necessary investment to pass this share between 5 and 18%.

The report estimates that biogas could contribute more than two-thirds of UK renewable energy targets, 15% in 2020. And indicates that the process of anaerobic digestion, especially by anaerobic fermentation (in the absence of oxygen), emits much less pollutants than incineration.

National Grid advocates, among other things, the creation of a biogas purchase tariff rather than electricity from the combustion of this gas, the first having a better yield than the second, according to the report; Implementation of a strategy to optimize the management of waste streams and improve the energy derived from their management.

The report, which comes as the UK government plans to launch a heat strategy consultation - xNUMX% of UK emissions - has prompted criticism for its optimism and willingness to maintain control of National Grid on the British gas network.

Good if you read correctly, the investigation report relativized, it is likely that it remains on the low scenario: 5% of national gas from CET. But given the evolution of gas consumption, that means that we let today in England 10 30% of current consumption! Correct me if I say bullshit! : Shock:
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 07/02/09, 13:30

[Capitalist MODE ON 8) ]
1 € for 2 slave days. : Shock: At the price of labor in Africa and some countries of the SE of Asia, it is expensive paid. A slave who earns 15 € per month? And for what not a SMIC?
[Capitalist MODE OFF]

PS: Clarification to those who read me in the first degree: I make humor squeak on several levels ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 07/02/09, 16:14

Shai Agassi,
TED Conference 2009:

“The abolition of slavery was not only a moral decision; it also led to the industrial revolution and to the growth of creativity and employment. Now is the time to end our addiction to oil "
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 16/02/09, 02:08

Holly Gibbs, Stanford's Woods Institute for the Environment expert:

"Agrofuels will accelerate global warming, not slow it down (...) If we use agrofuels produced in the tropics [and that's what happens], there is a good chance that we actually burn the tropical forests in our engines (...) the production of ethanol has multiplied because 4 and that of biodiesel by 10 between 2000 and 2007 (...) the subsidies in Indonesia and in the USA favor the increase of these productions (...) between 1/3 and 2/3 of recent deforestation is linked to the increase of these productions (...) "

AFP
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... M-V_xSFP8A

Half of the recent deforestation according to this expert who has gone to the target of thousands of satellite photos is linked to the increase in the production of agrocraburants, which, burned in the engines of thermal cars, come pollute the air of the cities.

It is really time to stop this massacre.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/02/09, 12:13

Elec wrote:It is really time to stop this massacre.

Well I hope that the crisis will help make him less dependent on his car ...

Because the basic problem is there and not in the propulsion energy: we are too "displacovores" ...
0 x