Renewable hydrogen thanks to Dc LAIGRET

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Hydrogen renewable thanks to Dc LAIGRET

by C moa » 13/05/19, 09:16

moinsdewatt wrote:Here we are, you will raise money.

Of course, and it does not seem to me to be hidden from it, it is a logical continuation when one develops a process such as this one.

4 people on 3 years, more stuff.

You will need 1 million euros, will not you?

Yes that's it, it's the order of magnitude. For fundraising, we are fortunate to be in France so between CIR and the grants we hope for, we should only have to raise “only” around 300/400 €. This is also why we participate in contests so that it reduces the bill as much as possible.

Those who will bring the money, they will be shareholders so?

Indeed, it's the idea. Unfortunately, I do not have enough personal wealth to finance everything ourselves. I was able to do it for the first phase but here we change scale. I also do not have rich friends or patrons who could finance us without compensation.

If you have ideas, I'm interested. And I say that without malice, my job is not to raise funds so if you can be good advice, I am a buyer (here or in MP).
0 x
It is difficult to single !!!
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 13/05/19, 11:00

Hello,

Since a few days I am attentive thread of this discussion, but I confess not to be expert in the matter (production of hydrogen). On the other hand, the debate is interesting and well explained, especially for neophytes; I learned some things and thank you ... so I went to vote on La Fabrique Aviva!

Some questions come to mind:

- As Phil53 wrote ("It seems too good to be true, I wish you success"), the arguments you put forward, C moa seem so clear and convincing that it actually looks "too good"!

But perhaps it is precisely the clarity of the explanations that gives this impression of "such a simple and ideal solution"? ...

In short, my first question is:

Given the important issues in terms of energy production and consequently of financial returns, are there no other large, financially and materially sound laboratories working on the same subject?

The second question, which stems from the first, we know that the research, innovation and, more broadly, the industrial milieu is a jungle, that the competition is formidable with all that it implies of rivalry, copying and other hacking.
Does not explaining step by step your research and giving some technical details risk opening the door to some competing laboratories or researchers?

I understand that it is not easy to expose research results by giving no information, in order to convince investors, but conversely the risk of being cut off under the feet seems good present.
(... and moreover Christophe must be able to count and identify the Internet users who follow this discussion!)
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 13/05/19, 12:25

Grelinette wrote:Hello,

Since a few days I am attentive thread of this discussion, but I confess not to be expert in the matter (production of hydrogen). On the other hand, the debate is interesting and well explained, especially for neophytes; I learned some things and thank you ... so I went to vote on La Fabrique Aviva!

Hello Grelinette,
Thank you for your interest and your vote, it is important for us. We had started very well our vote collection but after a week, we see that we go down in the rankings. Feel free to relay the message if you think our project deserves it.

Some questions come to mind:

- As Phil53 wrote ("It seems too good to be true, I wish you success"), the arguments you put forward, C moa seem so clear and convincing that it actually looks "too good"!

But perhaps it is precisely the clarity of the explanations that gives this impression of "such a simple and ideal solution"? ...

If we want the approach to be understood, we need to be simple without it we only talk to scientists of the game and it's not funny (especially when we come here or that we go see a banker or investor).

Otherwise, as I said above, we have not finished our work yet, far from it. For the moment, it works but tomorrow ...? We still have some obstacles to overcome. SInon, we would not be research phase but in the development phase.

In short, my first question is:

Given the important issues in terms of energy production and consequently of financial returns, are there no other large, financially and materially sound laboratories working on the same subject?

Bacteria capable of producing hydrogen have already been identified a long time ago, with a little scientific literature we can find quite a few. "Big" labs working on the subject as well. CEA has been working on it for many years, for example, and INRA has also been working on it, but the paths they take are not the same as us. that does not mean that they are wrong and that we are right, it is just an observation. it is part of the state of the art. As an example, here are a few routes used:
- Photobioreactor fermentation: light is the energy provided to the bacteria to produce hydrogen;
- Methanization in two stages: during the first phase of methanation, hydrogen is rejected, it disappears either because it is lost or because it is consumed in the following phases. The idea for some would be to biogas with two bioreactors. In the first one produces hydrogen and then produces methane;
- Use of bacterial consortia: other research units are also working to produce hydrogen using natural bacterial consortia such as anaerobic digestion. By adjusting certain parameters, they could use the metabolic pathways that produce this hydrogen.

Other teams have been working more recently on approaches similar to ours, but for all we know, they do not use the same microorganisms as we do.
For my part, all these experiences stimulate me, it is interesting to see that it moves even if some projects are more than 10 years sometimes.

Maybe other teams are also working in secret but that's obviously we can not know ... : Lol:

The second question, which stems from the first, we know that the research, innovation and, more broadly, the industrial milieu is a jungle, that the competition is formidable with all that it implies of rivalry, copying and other hacking.
Does not explaining step by step your research and giving some technical details risk opening the door to some competing laboratories or researchers?

Yes it's true but even if you feel that you say a lot, we keep the essentials for us. With what is said here or about the AVIVA factory, no one can exploit our results. It is our know-how, a bit special, that makes the difference and allows us to have a powerful process. After that, it can reassure people who would hesitate to embark but you must know that to get there. we tested about fifteen bacteria (and we could have tested 50 ...) and that it took 2 years. There is no reason for it to be much faster for another team.

I understand that it is not easy to expose research results by giving no information, in order to convince investors, but conversely the risk of being cut off under the feet seems good present.
(... and moreover Christophe must be able to count and identify the Internet users who follow this discussion!)

It's actually a bit of a balancing act but it's part of the game precisely ... : Cheesy:

Do not hesitate if you have other questions,
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 13/05/19, 23:59

Hi,
As C moa says, it remains quite elusive as to the key parameter that is the choice of bacteria.
I think he's risking nothing with his communication here. He did not say it too much.

When it comes to raising money, I think he should see a professional like this, and ask for advice from boxes that have gone through this process.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/05/19, 12:27

c moa, Swiss are on it too (but it's classic biogas):

http://www.enerzine.com/transformer-les ... 52-2019-05

Transforming sewage sludge into energy and mineral salts

A device developed by TreaTech, spin-off of the EPFL, makes it possible to transform the sludge of purification plants into valuable minerals, for example in the form of fertilizer, and into biogas. Supported by several public and private partners, the young company is currently building a large-scale prototype. The first commissioning in a treatment plant is planned for 2022.

Spreading sludge directly in the form of fertilizer has been banned in Switzerland for a dozen years because of the growing amount of pollutants found there. Thousands of annual tons of phosphorus they contain therefore go up in smoke during the incineration of sludge, lack of ad hoc technology for the recycling of this chemical compound essential to many biological processes, including photosynthesis. A device developed at the Laboratory for Sustainable and Catalytic Processes at EPFL and developed by the spin-off TreaTech, makes it possible to recover this phosphorus, whose market is estimated at more than 33 billion francs. It also allows, through another process, called hydrothermal gasification and imagined at the Paul Scherrer Institute, to produce biogas.

The brownish fluid still contains 95% water. Due to transport costs, it is currently partly dehydrated on site at the expense of high energy costs. The resulting dry matter will be incinerated elsewhere. “Our system could recover the sludge as soon as it leaves the WWTP, without prior treatment,” notes Frédéric Juillard, CEO of the start-tup. In the mineral separator it will be subjected to a high pressure and temperature (> 22.1 MPa and 400 degrees) which aims to bring it into a "supercritical" state, that is to say between the liquid and the gas. Its new properties precipitate salts thanks to a sudden drop in solubility. This process has been optimized so that phosphorus and other mineral salts crystallize and can easily be collected. "It allows a phosphorus recovery rate greater than 90%", specifies the CEO. These salts are then separated from the main stream as solid residues.

Convert by 100% of organic matter into biogas

To ensure recovery of this sludge, some treatment plants are already equipped with a biogas production system. "But with the bio-digesters currently used, only 40 with 50% organic matter can be converted into biogas," says Gaël Peng, co-founder and CTO. The resulting digestate is then dehydrated and transported for incineration. The energy and economic costs are therefore important. "The sludge management of a WWTP currently represents around 40% of total operational costs," he continues. In order to maximize recycling while optimizing efficiency, Frédéric Juillard therefore sought for several months a technology to include the production of biogas to his system.

After reviewing research from around the world, he eventually found the rare pearl within 200 kilometers of EPFL: at the Paul Scherrer Institute. Another reactor, with ruthenium as a catalyst, will convert about 100% of the organic matter into biogas that can be used to produce heat or electricity, or even used as a biofuel. The water, harvested at the end of treatment, no longer contains harmful compounds and can be reinjected into the network.

Finally, the technology used also saves a lot of time since it takes twenty minutes to process, while the biodigesters currently in use require about thirty days to convert. This speed also generates a significant saving of space and leaves no waste.

A large scale test

With excellent results obtained with its first prototype, the start-up, supported by the Federal Office of Energy and the Paul Scherrer Institute, is building a large-scale system and is planning the first installation in a wastewater treatment plant. in 2022. Just in time to come within the framework of the new standards the Confederation wishes to acquire concerning the mandatory recycling of phosphorus from 2026. One way to avoid the costs and ecological pitfalls of importing.

The technology now tested thanks to the prototype, an 100 installation that is bigger and can process 100 kg of sludge per hour is being developed. Supported by the Federal Office of Energy, the project was able to secure a budget of 4,4 million through a public-private partnership. The installation which has just started should be completed by the end of the year and a first commissioning at a wastewater treatment plant, with a treatment capacity of three tons per hour, is planned for 2022.

The company does not intend to stop there and plans to develop its system for other applications such as industrial water or desalination or biomass residues.

0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 15/05/19, 10:30

Hello Christopher,
Thank you for your message. First of all, it is good to specify actually we are not the only ones to be interested in the valorization of used water. And fortunately, in France, just for urban WWTPs, we talk about 67 millions of m3 per year with a TOC of 150g / liter or so. Added to this are the industrial waters .... This is huge because for all that we consume energy to achieve the purification.

Some remarks concerning the technology used:
- Their initial objective is not necessarily to recover energy but to recover the phosphorus that is present in the liquid and the production of gas is only a consequence of the process used.
- The hydrothermal gasification process is carried out physicochemical well known but requires a lot of energy to start the initial process (not so obvious to raise the water to 400 ° C and 40 bars). however, it allows a quick purification and probably more complete than current processes, I am more reserved on the energy balance.

For our part, to prepare certain inputs, we are thinking of using a process called hydrothermal carbonization. It's basically the same thing but at the exit, the carbon is precipitated in the form of coal rather than gas. There is still a lot of nutrients in the water that might please our bacteria. it still needs to be tested but we see the following benefits:
- First, some HTC processes do not require catalysts;
- On the other hand, it is a somewhat less brutal process (200 ° C / 20 bars) and has the advantage of being exothermic so it does not require energy once the process started.

We think we can use this at the back of a WWTP to treat sludge for example or after a methanizer to optimize the digestate.

By the way, for the curious of the hydrogen, I can only advise you the site of the afhypac. http://www.afhypac.org
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 15/05/19, 14:20

C moa,
Would your research be likely to interest Air Liquide who also relies on hydrogen?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 15/05/19, 16:45

C moa, came across this in Linkedin

Multeam
Paris 107 LBOs and LBOs subscribed
Fundraising advice

Presentation

Multeam supports innovative companies in their fundraising with investors.
Multeam specializes in financing the first and subsequent rounds of private equity funds.

- For more than 10 years, raise money for start-ups and growing SMEs is our only activity. This business focus gives us unique expertise and a great deal of legitimacy in this area.
- It is possible to seek financing without being accompanied. However, to maximize their chances of success, companies often choose to be assisted.
- Indeed, raising funds requires a lot of professionalism and know-how. It is necessary to know at best the typology of funds, the projects they seek, the stage of life of the fund (beginning or end), their methodologies, their criteria and decision-making process, their obligations towards their subscribers ...

Multeam intervenes at every stage of the fundraising process and proposes several accompaniments corresponding to the situation in which the company is located, whether it is a start-up company or a growing SME.

Website
http://www.multeam.fr

0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 15/05/19, 19:07

moinsdewatt wrote:C moa,
Would your research be likely to interest Air Liquide who also relies on hydrogen?

Yes why not. I think that they may be particularly interested in industrial hydrogen or for "industrial" mobility (train, heavy goods vehicles)
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 15/05/19, 19:09

moinsdewatt wrote:C moa, came across this in Linkedin

Multeam
Paris 107 LBOs and LBOs subscribed
Fundraising advice

Presentation

Multeam supports innovative companies in their fundraising with investors.
Multeam specializes in financing the first and subsequent rounds of private equity funds.

- For more than 10 years, raise money for start-ups and growing SMEs is our only activity. This business focus gives us unique expertise and a great deal of legitimacy in this area.
- It is possible to seek financing without being accompanied. However, to maximize their chances of success, companies often choose to be assisted.
- Indeed, raising funds requires a lot of professionalism and know-how. It is necessary to know at best the typology of funds, the projects they seek, the stage of life of the fund (beginning or end), their methodologies, their criteria and decision-making process, their obligations towards their subscribers ...

Multeam intervenes at every stage of the fundraising process and proposes several accompaniments corresponding to the situation in which the company is located, whether it is a start-up company or a growing SME.

Website
http://www.multeam.fr

Thank you, I'm going to watch this.

PS: Do not forget to vote for us :-) https://lafabriqueaviva.fr/fr/project/2847/show
0 x