Renewable hydrogen thanks to Dc LAIGRET

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Hydrogen renewable thanks to Dc LAIGRET

by C moa » 09/05/19, 00:23

sicetaitsimple wrote:My comment on "size" didn't really have the footprint, which may or may not be an issue, but rather the cost of installation.

It is certain that the installations will be costly in investment but the more we will improve the bacteria and the less the installation will be expensive. The price of the installation is directly linked to its performance.

It should still be noted that we are working with a "gentle" process because we are working at ambient pressure and at a reasonable temperature (<50 ° C). Suddenly, even if the installation is expensive, it will have a long lifespan. We are targeting a forward selling price of € 3 / kg, which would be more or less the price of fossil hydrogen and especially gasoline or diesel (excluding VAT of course).
0 x
It is difficult to single !!!
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 09/05/19, 00:34

phil53 wrote:It sounds too good to be true, I wish you success. If it produces more energy than it consumes it is already a good point, depreciation of the facilities should be possible.
Good luck with the work that remains to be done.

Good evening Phil,
True, it may seem surprising or even suspicious. This is also why we have been very discreet for the past two years. We did not want to announce things that are not verified. We were right because at the start the objective was to make oil but the bacteria do as they please. : Lol: Suddenly, we therefore reoriented ourselves towards hydrogen since this is what they do best.

What I can already assure you is that today we work with vials so we have no energy at the entrance. We just control the temperature a little but on industrial sites there is enough to do that will not be a problem. On the other hand, what we also know is that the purification processes (notably activated sludge) consume a lot of energy. So our process should on the one hand lower the energy bill for WWTPs and on the other hand produce energy. WWTPs can represent up to 20% of the energy consumption of a community. It's not nothing...

To be transparent, I discover with this project the world of biology and microbiology and it is impressive to see all that it is possible to do ....
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/05/19, 01:44

C moa wrote:In short, we think we can recover the waste from methanation to make our hydrogen. you still have to test that but it's in the pipes.
Shouldn't there be a lot of energy left to extract?

Methanization also involves bacteria. Yours would be more effective?
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 09/05/19, 16:05

izentrop wrote:
C moa wrote:In short, we think we can recover the waste from methanation to make our hydrogen. you still have to test that but it's in the pipes.
Shouldn't there be a lot of energy left to extract?

Methanization also involves bacteria. Yours would be more effective?

Hello izentrop,
Regarding energy first: As you probably know, anaerobic digestion is only an acceleration of biomass degradation processes. When we take manure and spread it on agricultural land, we consider that it will take 2 to 3 years for the organic matter to be degraded and transmitted to the soil and it will take much longer for any the biomass "disappears". With anaerobic digestion, the degradation of biomass is accelerated and this creates a digestate which can be assimilated much more quickly by soils and plants. The production of methane is only one consequence of this degradation and the cycle takes place over a period of between 30 and 40 days approximately (this can vary, it is an order of magnitude). Cycle times are calculated to find a balance between degrading enough biomass (and therefore producing digestate and methane) and having sufficient flow rate and methane concentration to run an engine. Like any process, even biological, there are co-products or even waste / effluents. In this case, it is the digestate that we will spread. For this, part of the water is removed, stored and will be spread when conditions are acceptable because they are highly loaded with organic matter. This liquid phase poses a problem for methanizers so it interests us. We think that there is enough organic matter left for our bacteria to develop, but we have to test to see what we get from it and especially to see what is left at the exit. Will we have improved the purification? Will it be possible to reuse the water for simple watering, for example?

Regarding the effectiveness of our bacteria VS methanation: I would not venture to say that we are more efficient since we do not use the same inputs and that we do not produce the same final product. Our bacteria is not capable, for example, of degrading manure loaded with straw and methanizers cannot integrate vegetable cooking water. We can however find a synergy between the two processes anaerobic digestion through are process will degrade the raw material enough for it to be dissolved and on our side, we can purify the water of the digestate. Depending on the cost price, we can even imagine doing methanation (biological of course) by coupling our hydrogen with the biogas from the methanizer and thus raising the concentration of methane in the final gas.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/05/19, 16:18

C moa wrote: When we take manure and spread it on agricultural land, we consider that it will take 2 to 3 years for the organic matter to be degraded and transmitted to the soil and it will take much longer for any the biomass "disappears".
Finally! without humus, erosion is guaranteed. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 09/05/19, 19:27

C moa wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:My comment on "size" didn't really have the footprint, which may or may not be an issue, but rather the cost of installation.

It is certain that the installations will be costly in investment but the more we will improve the bacteria and the less the installation will be expensive. The price of the installation is directly linked to its performance.

It should still be noted that we are working with a "gentle" process because we are working at ambient pressure and at a reasonable temperature (<50 ° C). Suddenly, even if the installation is expensive, it will have a long lifespan. We are targeting a forward selling price of € 3 / kg, which would be more or less the price of fossil hydrogen and especially gasoline or diesel (excluding VAT of course).

Yes, but still, anyway, C moa, you could still give us some figures, for example what we can hope to get from 1 T of dry biomass, or the conditions of this process, hopefully the name of the bacteria, or bacteria concerned, the difficulties you face, etc ... We have all this for the production of biomethane (and for a long time besides), and it is all that differentiates a scientific approach a neophyte approach or a mercantile reverie. If your friend is a doctor of biology, he must know all this, much better than the future sale price of kg of hydrogen (which seems a bit premature) ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/05/19, 19:52

C moa wrote: On the other hand, what we also know is that the purification processes (notably activated sludge) consume a lot of energy. So our process should on the one hand lower the energy bill for WWTPs and on the other hand produce energy. WWTPs can represent up to 20% of the energy consumption of a community. It's not nothing...

This brings me to a question, because I am not sure I have yet understood correctly:

- is this process (provided that it ultimately works in industrial conditions, of course, there is still some way to go) a process primarily aimed at decontaminating effluents, that is to say, is its economy would be based on "taxes" (nothing pejorative) or contributions of industrialists providing the effluent, the production of hydrogen only putting a little butter in the spinach?

-or does the title of the thread suggest, the objective and the economy of a future project are based essentially on the production of hydrogen?

"Both my captain" is a wrong answer! Even if the concept of today can of course be called into question tomorrow, the two approaches being in any case defensible!
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 09/05/19, 20:41

bardal wrote:Yes, but still, anyway, C moa, you could still give us some figures, for example what we can hope to get from 1 T of dry biomass, or the conditions of this process, hopefully the name of the bacteria, or bacteria concerned, the difficulties you face, etc ... We have all this for the production of biomethane (and for a long time besides), and it is all that differentiates a scientific approach a neophyte approach or a mercantile reverie. If your friend is a doctor of biology, he must know all this, much better than the future sale price of kg of hydrogen (which seems a bit premature) ...

Good evening Bardal,
I can not give everything like that, it takes suspense, create interest, ask questions ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

As explained, we have been working on the subject for three years, but we only really started in April 2017 and a lot of biblio and bioinfo work was necessary to select the bacteria that we wanted to test. In total we tested about fifteen (sorry but I can't say which ones). Our initial objective was to produce alkanes or alkenes but none of them were kind enough to do so. Some, however, have been kind enough to produce methane when they are not supposed to. : Shock:

We realized last summer that some of them were producing interesting quantities of hydrogen and after having a quick screening of the market, we abandoned the trail of liquid HC to move towards H2. We completed our tests with inputs from an IAA (seafood cooking waters) and we obtained the same results:
- A production that starts in a few hours;
- 80% of our biogas is produced in less than a week;
- a level of purity in H2 of 90%.

It sounds simple like that but we work anaerobically, when an experiment works (or not for that matter) it must be repeated to confirm the results. 2 years it may seem a lot but I can assure you that it passed very quickly.

As far as returns are concerned, unfortunately I can't give you anything concrete at the moment either. If we are able to calculate the methanogenic power of an effluent, as far as we are concerned, that does not yet exist. We'll have to do it ourselves. What is likely is that there will be an impact with the composition of the medium depending on the more or less presence of sugars, fatty acids, proteins .... We still have some experiments to carry out. to define "hydrogen power" of inputs.

For the moment, we have mainly worked with rather poor environments which put the bacteria under stress and which force it to work differently than usual and suddenly it produces things that it does not usually produce, in particular l H2.

What difficulties do we have?
- Improve the performance of the bacteria "H2": as said above, we put our bacteria in conditions that are not favorable to it and therefore it produces hydrogen but has much lower growth rates than it does in rich environments. Our objective is to adapt it so that it is able to grow as fast as usual while producing the hydrogen that we want.It will also be a question of modifying or even eliminating certain metabolic pathways in order to concentrate on activity on hydrogen production.
- Chemical precursor: As you can see in the picture, in addition to the medium, we give a metabolic precursor to the bacteria in order to boost the production of hydrogen. This precursor is produced chemically and is available on the shelf but for more consistency we want to produce it biologically also from the same waste. We know the microorganisms capable of producing them, they should grow on the inputs that we have selected. We have to make sure now that they are able to produce the quantities we want, in the times we want and that they will be able to get along with our bacteria H2. that should do it, the examples of co-cultures that we have are rather positive but we must test.
- Change of scale: Currently we are working on a laboratory scale but to go to an industrial scale, it is not enough to increase the size of the bottles. So this also represents work, we will have to identify the growth parameters that are ideal for bacteria, understand what can inhibit them (do we need pre-treatments for example?). Of course start drawing an ideal fermenter. To simplify, go from the liter scale to the 100 liter scale and then go to the m scale3.
- Inputs: on paper many inputs look alike, but you still have to check the performance of each one, in particular to be able to define the famous "hydrogen power". Between cooking water from seafood, vegetables, pulp mill process water, rendering blood, dairy rejects ... there is a good chance that we have adjustments to be made. It will also be a question of seeing if it is not a question of mixing certain inputs between them to have a better production.

Beyond the technical aspects, our next challenge is above all to succeed in raising our funds because we need to hire 4 people to do all this work and we need to buy fairly expensive equipment. We planned 3 years to do all this.
Attachments
Operation - rev 1.00.png
Operation - rev 1.00.png (218.53 KiB) Consulted 3844 times
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 09/05/19, 21:10

sicetaitsimple wrote:This brings me to a question, because I am not sure I have yet understood correctly:

- is this process (provided that it ultimately works in industrial conditions, of course, there is still some way to go) a process primarily aimed at decontaminating effluents, that is to say, is its economy would be based on "taxes" (nothing pejorative) or contributions of industrialists providing the effluent, the production of hydrogen only putting a little butter in the spinach?

-or does the title of the thread suggest, the objective and the economy of a future project are based essentially on the production of hydrogen?

"Both my captain" is a wrong answer! Even if the concept of today can of course be called into question tomorrow, the two approaches being in any case defensible!

Excellent question my captain !! : Cheesy:

As a number know here, I am an oil tanker so my main goal is to generate energy. The idea of ​​producing energy from waste is particularly tempting, so I got started with this idea. Today, producing hydrogen, while current processes are particularly polluting, is a really interesting challenge. So clearly our goal is to produce energy.

As to produce this hydrogen, we need inputs and that this would purify these inputs it becomes obvious that being an alternative to current processes (which are significantly more polluting) is only a consequence of the first part . It is only recently that this aspect has been reviewed. We participated in a contest (which we won elsewhere :-)) and during the preparation some speakers advised us to orient our speech also on the circular economy and honestly it is particularly interesting to address our solution like that.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/05/19, 21:56

C moa wrote: So clearly our goal is to generate energy.

It is clear in the intention, spinach is the production of hydrogen and butter is what we can recover at the margin. A real challenge! Good luck!
0 x