Fuel, metal powder !! ??

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

Fuel, metal powder !! ??

by PITMIX » 01/02/06, 21:10

Bonjour à tous : Cheesy:
I'm giving you here some info that seems interesting.
The metal powder can be used in car engines.
This system is currently used for the boosters of the Ariane 5 rocket.
Thanks to the manufacture of metal nanoparticles, which has become possible since the end of the 90s, the temperature of the oxidation is lowered to 800 ° C instead of the 2200 ° C achieved on the first tests in the 80s.
The combustion temperature has become bearable for an engine whose gasoline burns between 900 ° and 1500 °. The combustion of iron does not release CO2, NOX and other problematic oxides. In addition it releases twice as much energy as petrol. So we can do twice as many kilometers with a full equivalent to petrol in terms of volume and weight if we use aluminum. The metal fuel is also recyclable.
Nanoparticles can be deoxidized at 425 ° C with hydrogen so there is "reduction".
Of course there are disadvantages as for the manufacture of hydrogen. Nanoparticles are only produced at the rate of a few kilograms per day and their production requires energy. The overall balance sheet manufacturing, transport, use remains unfavorable according to the spokesperson for the PSA innovation department.

I find that this is an important advance for research in the replacement of petroleum and a new avenue to explore

The sources are taken from No. 1061 of Sciences et vie.

What do you think ?

Did you know
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 01/02/06, 22:42

Another "good idea", not very economical, which therefore has every chance of imposing itself in the future, since it was decided and implemented by industrial monopolies.
For the many induced diseases, we will talk about it later, of course!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/02/06, 22:52

Bof I do not believe too much and this sums up the thing well "The overall balance sheet manufacturing, transport, use remains unfavorable according to the spokesperson of the PSA innovation department."

So limited to some very specific application (rocket as cited but also missiles ...)
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 01/02/06, 23:28

Okay dude!
you try on your cash register and tell us if it works? : Cheesy:
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
Other

by Other » 02/02/06, 00:11

Hello
I worked 2 years in a factory Les Poudres metalliques du quebec, The production of steel powder requires a lot of energy. On the surface, it is liquid cast iron which flows through small holes; it is sprayed by a jet of water at high pressure.
then decanted and dried in an oven, then crush in a
in a large cylinder with steel balls, then this powder undergoes decarburization with in an oven with hydrogen atmosphere, then reduced again to powder in grinders, and in the end it goes between steel discs to have the 'state of volatile dust.
this powder is used to make self-lubricating alloys is pressed parts without machining for automobile one can make alloys with lead copper and graphite ect ..
This powder is very explosive conveyors and bucket elevator
had to be under nitrogen
I see no future in this matter which requires more energy to produce than it has produced.
To burn it must be very fine, even a heap burns like coal, the extremely fine powder is used for pharmaceutical products. (iron vitamin?)

Andre
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 02/02/06, 06:36

Hello
Well tell me it's not very enjoyable all this.
Me it seems to me that hydrogen is not better than this discovery since it also requires an enormous energy for its production. The goal is to find technologies to overcome our dependence on petrol and I think this thing is part of one of the ideas to be exploited why not?
Gegyx I don't see what you mean by industrial monopoly. Do you really think that an ingenious craftsman will succeed in imposing himself on the market by developing his idea so that everyone benefits for free. You just have to see the current development of the Pantone reactor !!! No industrial future. Yet some have tried many times. We live in an industrialized world, you have to make a point of it, that's all.
They are the ones who have the financial and political means ...
Now I am the first to try to find solutions on an individual level but for this to be effective everyone should do the same, but this is not the case ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/02/06, 09:07

Andre wrote:To burn it must be very fine, even a heap burns like coal.

Did you know that Rudolf Diesel's first tests on its "Diesel engine" were made with coal powder as fuel?
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Fuel, the metal powder !! ??

by Rulian » 02/02/06, 10:02

PITMIX wrote:In addition it releases twice as much energy as petrol. So we can do twice as many kilometers with a full equivalent to petrol in terms of volume and weight if we use aluminum.

I had doubts about the evolution of the seriousness of Science and Life ... unfortunately it is confirmed: "equivalent in terms of volume AND weight". They are telling us that metal powders (aluminum in this case) have a density of the same order as the density of gasoline ... We have the right to laugh ??
PITMIX wrote:The metal fuel is also recyclable.
Nanoparticles can be deoxidized at 425 ° C with hydrogen so there is "reduction".

Worse not to eat a maximum of energy to produce the powder (thank you for the details André), it will take a maximum of energy to produce the hydrogen deoxidation ... Super balance sheet !!
Especially since if what is consumed and recycled then it is no longer a source but a VECTOR of energy, just like the good hydrogen joke. Energy is supplied by the production / treatment / recycling processes. So where is the new SOURCE ??

And then it's true that a metal oxide can be recycled rather well ... if we manage to collect it. They plan to place a stooge at each exhaust with a brush to collect metal oxide dust ??

Worse of metallic bodies (oxides or not) in very fine dust ... They have not had enough asbestos?
PITMIX wrote:Of course there are disadvantages as for the manufacture of hydrogen. Nanoparticles are only produced at the rate of a few kilograms per day and their production requires energy. The overall balance sheet manufacturing, transport, use remains unfavorable according to the spokesperson for the PSA innovation department.

And in addition it is miserably not profitable ... What they will not seek to try to avoid the inexorable ... Renewable energy (no luck, it does not work well with cars ... ) This is clearly not a question.
PITMIX wrote:I find that this is an important advance for research in the replacement of petroleum and a new avenue to explore

I think their thing is not two minutes long and I'm dismayed to see the researchers and engineers wasting their time on similar humpsies trying to make the barge believe that he has a thing too much of the ball.

It's a shame !!

And S&V is ridiculing itself by conveying such articles !! They would do well to "deoxidize" their reading committee ... if they have one. Science journalism my c ..
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 02/02/06, 11:01

Did you know that Rudolf Diesel's first tests on its "Diesel engine" were made with coal powder as fuel?

I knew he had tried vegetable oil, but that! : Shock:
And it worked coal powder? it must still clog the engine ...
Do you have the link above?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/02/06, 11:52

abyssin3 wrote:And it worked coal powder? it must still clog the engine ...
Do you have the link above?

Well, it worked .... you have to go back to the time ... there was no gas station on every street corner :D and the coal tankers were the current tanker!

Some links:

1) http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Dis ... 5794-3.htm

"on a 2-stroke diesel, it is possible (well on condition that you do not pay attention to efficiency and pollution), thanks to the lower compression ratio, to operate without injection: there is a hot spot which ignites the diesel ( or pulverized coal) at about TDC It is also commonly called semi-diesel, the patent filed by rudolf diesel including the principle of injection after compression of the air.
basic mechanical injection is not very complicated, it's never just a piston pump ...
diesel cars (at least for 70 years) are all fuel-injected. "

2) http://www.autocadre.com/Rodolphe-DIESEL-news37.php

The attached drawing shows a prototype built in Berlin by R. DIESEL between 1893 and 1897. The fuel used is pulverized coal. (here is a picture)

3) It seems to me that the subject is also mentioned in this doc: https://www.econologie.com/historique-de ... -2338.html
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 15, 12: 42, 1 edited once.
0 x