Which crusher to produce BRF (Raméal Fragmented Wood)?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Which crusher to produce BRF (Bois Raméal Fragmenté)?

by Ahmed » 08/03/21, 23:41

Since the installation of the new outlet chute, only one blockage has been observed, but it is my fault: at the end of the heap of branches of various origins I passed fine and long strands in bundles. If I had anticipated and mixed a little with coarser antlers, it would have passed as a letter in the mail ... Only the chute was full, so not too difficult to empty ...
Crushing of a branch of an old cherry tree felled by the neighbor; rather twisted branches requiring a little preparation, but very fast grinding thanks to the same neighbor who passes me the branches ... Soon, a bunch of apple tree branches and various leafy trees will complete the heap of crushed material that will cover my future patch of potatoes. .. 8)
On my chute, I cut the temporary false cap and replaced it with another made of thin sheet metal so that it could be easily bent to the desired angle: it is the simplest system for this category of machine. For the experiment I welded it, but in a final version I will opt for a fixing by pressure of a targeted screed: it is difficult to weld the small thicknesses, especially since the sheet that I have used is zinc-plated on the outside and oxidized on the inside ... : roll: I will put you a photo, I promise, I swear ... :P

Yesterday I attended a shredding session of large aucuba branches with a German-designed Eliet brand shredder (Maestro model). I have always been very reluctant about the design of this mulcher: the tool-holder shaft is located in the extension of the motor shaft and the cutting tools are triangular knives (like mower sections) arranged either obliquely, or in line with the introduction chute. The latter is of reduced section, provided with a metal valve articulated on rubber buffers ... This particular arrangement of the knives prohibits the presence of a counter blade and this has several unfortunate consequences, from my point of view. First, the large ends tend to get stuck between the knives and block the motor, then and vice versa, the softer ends and the leaves are not pulled and are difficult to pass through the chamber. chopped off. As big ends are cut, a calibration grid is necessary and keeps them in the chamber up to the required dimension (this explains the very sturdy valve, because the returns are numerous and brutal). In short, many stops marked this session, for a fairly modest volume of branches treated. According to the operator, the other previously crushed plants were in much better conditions. There would therefore be a strong sensitivity to the nature of the branching treated; anyway, the narrowness of the introduction chute implies meticulous defourching, the cutting system requires a lot of introduction effort and the capacity of the basket forced to frequent stops (notwithstanding blockages or jams) . It does not grind even a little soft plants well, but perhaps it is more comfortable with dry branches than our Chinese grinders? Anyway, the overall efficiency of this device, quite equivalent in terms of motorization (but much more expensive) is far from reaching the performance we are used to ...
In the particular case observed here, the ground material obtained was very fine (logical, due to the calibration grid) and well suited to certain uses, such as strawberry mulching.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/04/21, 21:05

In recent days fairly rapid crushing of several pending heaps. At the end of the exercise, I notice that the rotor continues to turn while the engine remains at idle; a stop followed by a restart confirms my hypothesis: the centrifugal clutch has a serious problem and no longer plays its role. The next day, dismantling which fully confirms the prognosis. Very pronounced wear of the parts of the clutch and, more serious, the two bearings of the pulley are out of order, including the end one which is seized and has partially "puffed" the axis of the engine crankshaft ...
Although this device has done a lot of work in the four years since its acquisition, I am surprised that a part that is supposed to be stressed only when the rotor is started is in this condition. I said to myself that temporarily it may be possible to turn the clutch over, on condition of course to change the bearings ... But finding bearings with these strange dimensions quickly turns out to be an impossible mission: neither in metric standard, nor in American standard. They do not even appear in the customer catalog of the Chinese manufacturer and it turns out that most likely the mill factory, located in the same area, runs these bearings at dedicated and off-the-shelf dimensions!
I order a new clutch from the seller, Agri Euro, and ask for those pesky bearings; I am satisfied with the first point, but nothing to do for the second. I said to myself that a solution would be to take two standard bearings a little larger, to sleeve on the axis and to re-bore the housing of the bearings in the pulley (there is the place), so the problem would not rest any more. However, a closer look reveals that the bearing seating is quite problematic and it is likely an overhang that is responsible for locking this end bearing. In addition, the "puff" part singularly complicates matters. I therefore decided to do without this poorly implemented clutch, to make a motor shaft / pulley adapter (in order to secure these two parts) and to operate either directly (if it is not too painful to start), or to mount a belt clutch (a roller which presses on floating belts), as on much more powerful chippers. To have...
IMG0080D.jpg
IMG0080D.jpg (192.07 KiB) Viewed 3589 times

On the photo, we see the output of the crankshaft and I present the three moving parts of the clutch system (those equipped with ferrodo): we can distinguish (well, it's not super clear) on the top one which is the most visible that the right part, that which is in contact with the drive nut, is seriously hollowed out irregularly.
1 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 05/04/21, 09:59

Ahmed wrote: I notice that the rotor continues to rotate while the engine remains at idle; a stop...

You confirm to me that the Eliet crushers (the principle) is not great.
I had hesitated before buying the Agri Euro. : Wink:

Indeed with the Agri Euro, the cut of dry wood that I practiced at the beginning, several m3, wears out the blades but it works anyway. the hardest wood I have passed being ash.
Li'deal remains the green wood, without leaves (so as not to block the original extraction chute).
in case of jam, and not to disassemble, I made a small hook with a threaded rod twisted by hand that I had in stock. a handle and a 'hook' in L, quite simply.
I go back up the jam even with the rotating rotor but you have to be careful not to go too low, otherwise disaster and danger ...
Once the outlet is a little unblocked and dust begins to come out, the crusher ejects the rest.

On the other hand, you do not reassure me about the longevity of the Agri Euro ... another 2 years of life for mine? : Lol:

The manual clutch is not a bad idea, as on professional shredders, by tensioning the belts.
On the other hand it requires tinkering ...

For your problem, a profitable (?) But not sustainable option : Lol: , rather than changing the bearings, outright changing the engine.
there are 7.5hp on ebay for less than 100 €.
or even switch to 13cv / 14cv but there you have to add tickets ...
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/04/21, 12:40

With regard to hardwood, two things must be distinguished: on the one hand, the energy required to cut the same diameter is much greater than that required for green wood (we can experiment with a simple pruner), on the other hand, these blades are quite "soft" soaked and are therefore easily chipped; the downside being that they are very unlikely to break under impact. There are sophisticated heat treatments and alloys that make it possible to reconcile hardness and solidity, but it is more expensive ...
Before buying my small chippers, a landscaper friend could have lent me an Eliet that he had for his personal use, but I was not interested, since knowing this device.
Stuffing issues are a thing of the past to me, and I like chopping leafy branches for the interesting C / N ratio ...
I do not plan to change the engine, this one works wonderfully and it would be a monstrous waste (not sustainable, as you say!), Even if it would be playable from a strictly pecuniary point of view (it is the paradox of our functioning).
We can indeed regret that a simple sloppy design is the cause of this serious malfunction which would have led this device to be broken in someone less determined than me! A more careful realization would have had no consequence in the manufacturing price, but as with all these goods, their real purpose is not to render a service (that's the visible part!), But to produce abstract value. I was aware of this during my purchase and knew that I would be able to remedy these foreseeable failures at a later date: the mechanical basis remains interesting.

PS: you might want to check your clutch and the bearings before the same damage occurs on yours. In particular, you can have a positive action on the bearings by delicately blowing their covers, cleaning them (brushing, solvent), greasing them, then refitting their sealing covers (you must also invert them, which implies to locate them when removing ...) ...
Note: I have a new clutch available! :P
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 06/04/21, 07:15

Thank you for the advice for the bearings. : Wink: I just have to take the time and remember ... I know myself, always better to do ... : roll:

Ahmed wrote: the mechanical basis remains interesting.

yes and repairable (a priori), the rotor should be puncture-proof.
I even planned to spend one day with an electric motor, when the 'Mad Max' era will be our daily life. : Wink: