Which crusher to produce BRF (Raméal Fragmented Wood)?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: What mill to produce BRF?

by Ahmed » 28/09/17, 23:26

Temporarily, a vise grip clamps the adjustment rod of the current assembly while waiting for better: it is perfectly effective, but remains a palliative solution that leaves me time to adjust this detail.

In the meantime, I have chained a few grinding sites with significant volume:
- Douglas fir branches (broken by the wind). The presence of many needles does not interfere with the grinding and the result is a fine grind which smells very good ...
- a hedge of lonicera nitida. This bushy shrub with small evergreen leaves (which is an erzats in boxwood) is quite difficult to handle, because it behaves a bit like a liana; otherwise, the ground material obtained is correct.
- a pyracantha hedge. The very sharp needles of this persistent shrub with beautiful orange or yellow berries make thick gloves compulsory for handling this type of branch. Not easy to separate the branches that cling to each other ... : roll:
Rather mediocre result: a part is crushed rather finely, but another part, rather notable, is coarsely fractioned, although in a fairly homogeneous way; because of the thorns, this coarse ground material cannot be used as it is; The too high suction speed of the rotor is here unfavorable for a good result *; after rapid sorting (with a manure or fork), it will be ironed in the crusher.
I therefore conclude that in the future I would carefully avoid recovering this kind of material, contenting myself with grinding only the little that would encumber me personally ...
- a large hawthorn stalk. On a subject of this size, the thorns are less aggressive than on young subjects. After separation of the large wood and reduction of the crippling forks, the shredding is easy and quick. It is on this kind of connection that we can best appreciate the traction power of the rotor: the long, flexible and catchy branches are swallowed regularly. The final product is fine, homogeneous and fairly dense compared to what was obtained in the two previous examples.

Sometimes, in the lots, there are also plants, such as flower stems or tomato plants at the end of their careers: in the end, it all goes pretty well. In this vein, I have a small amount of corn cobs and nuts (early fall, inedible) to test in the grinder ...

* I think that a lower speed would allow a better result in this particular case, but it should be noted that this speed does not seem to harm with other species ... : roll:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/11/17, 22:53

Recently, crushing site for the branching of an American black walnut after slaughter: good volume, quickly chipped, no problem and with good results. The good performance is explained by the length of the branches which reduces handling and increases the useful operating time of the crusher.
This afternoon, another pile of branches to "swallow", elm, this time. Same packaging as before: branches as long as possible. Good overall result as well, but the terminal clusters tend to be poorly crushed, which justifies a second pass for this fraction. At 4/5 of the heap, a few branches are stuck between the rotor and its cage: the density of what I put in excessively idle speed of the rotor which has stalled on not much ... :( After dismantling the counter knife, which gives a little play, I manage to root out these untimely twigs and I manage to finish before night, albeit just ... :? Overall, the elm is a little harder to grind than the black walnut that goes like a letter in the mail; no doubt because of the larger but less branched branches.
Oddly, as already observed previously, some branches, in mixture, of Lonicera Nitida, which however do not pay mine, are minced ... Not easy to predict the results depending on the plant species.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/01/18, 13:23

Large crushing site for spruce branches. Mold has developed between the needles, due to the crowding of the branches and everything is very wet, yet it goes pretty well, with a good result at the exit. Due to humidity, mold does not produce any dust, which is good! Unlike Douglas fir branches, spruce branches are compact and bulky, which means that it is often necessary to partially remove the branch from the chute to let spin the branches that have just been cut at their base (by the rotor). During a second grinding session, I prefer to cut a little in the mass beforehand, in order to limit this kind of maneuver ...

Manipulating the machine by the chute when crossing an obstacle (two), the plate which connects it to the body of the crusher partially yields, which does not however prevent the provisional continuation of the grinding.
After examination, it appears (see below) that the very thin weld bead is a simple bonding of one side of the bead. There is a certain relationship between the volume of the cord and the quantity of heat: clearly, here, it was very insufficient to achieve a quality assembly. After careful grinding, a simple electrode welding solves the problem.
IMG0048B.jpg
IMG0048B.jpg (209.37 KB) Consulted 5678 times
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/01/18, 16:49

You're lucky, you know how to weld! When it isn't, this kind of little "shit" can be annoying, even if it's not much ...

I should have learned that! (I do not know yet if I recover the structure of my tunnel or not; if so, there are bent parts, which will have to be cut / welded / straightened or even replaced by purchased tubes ...)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/01/18, 18:38

It was a teenager's dream: I understood that by assembling parts recovered from various materials, it was possible to build all kinds of other things; I realized it quite early, but I had to learn it alone, because it was not so widespread at the time.

For your tubes, it is generally difficult to recover a twist, once the section is crushed (as you know) and, the easiest is to cut on either side of the warp and to sleeve. It's easy to make an internal sleeve, even if you can't find the right diameter: you take a tube with a diameter closest to what you want and cut your sleeves to length, then cut lengthwise. (following a generator) with the grinder + thin disc (1mm) *, if necessary (and it is generally the case) you make a second cut parallel to the first by estimating the quantity of material to be removed (it does not have no need to be very precise: it can last a day without affecting the functionality of the sleeve). All that remains is to "round", ie to obtain a regular round by gradually hammering the sleeve (cold); it is easier than you think, the important thing is to check frequently with the receiving tube. It is possible to obtain an elastic adjustment with a very slight excess, but it is not essential ... The ideal, then, would be to practice a few cap welds, but without this, it is always possible to assemble by riveting or bolting is not critical ...

By the way, the chute was successfully repaired this afternoon! :D

When is the welding internship ** in Burgundy? : Wink:

* Warning! These discs are formidable in efficiency, but not only! : Shock:
** I leave you the choice weapons of the process. 8)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/01/18, 19:02

I just considered the sleeves, chatting on the phone with a friend.

Thanks for these "tips"!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/01/18, 19:33

welding is not a chance ... you just have to learn, and I find it easier to learn to weld than to learn to explain complicated things with ill-defined words as we just saw talk on another subject

everyone has scrap metal lying around and it's easy to start welding worthless stuff before welding the part you want to fix

to repair stuff in a tube, I prefer to weld end to end tubes of the same diameter and the same thickness ... unless it is really too thin thickness tube impossible to arc weld, like tube for shelter garden lamp in 0.8 or 1 mm thick tube: autogenous acetylene oxy welding

there is great progress in arc welding: inverter welding stations! even the lowest end give an incomparable ease of welding with conventional transformer stations

since I use inverter stations the thickness limit or I use acetylene welding has decreased

there is a multitude of things to say to learn how to weld ... it might be off topic for the shredder ... but just ask a question with another topic and I will not fail to answer

another forum or things are said about welding https://www.usinages.com/threads/vieux- ... 555/page-4
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/01/18, 19:46

There, I used an electrode inverter station because it was connected, but despite the ease provided by the electronics, the MIG is easier to master, once the right settings are found (with a synergistic station, this n is no longer a problem).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/01/18, 12:07

It is not only because the MMA station was connected that I chose this process: the MIG brings less energy (per unit of time) than the electrode and that is why, if we want a bead of reduced section, there is a risk of sticking. This is obvious here, since the connection was correct with the thin sheet of the chute, but not with the thicker base *.
In the photo below, these differences in thickness are very visible. I used welding parameters that I sometimes use to make fine quality cords: 2mm electrode with an overcurrent amperage (around 75 A), a very flat forward angle and a very small spacing ( in reality, it is the thickness of the coating). I find it quite easy to achieve and the overcurrent provides useful energy for good penetration. Despite this last consideration, I was forced to grind, then resume the central part of the cord, because I was hampered in my progress by the rod of a clamp (I no longer had the right angle).

* It is always a little more difficult to join two pieces of different thicknesses, since the adjustments are made precisely according to this parameter.
IMG0049A.jpg
IMG0049A.jpg (187.12 KB) Viewed times 5602
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 06/01/18, 14:14

the mig is good for making beautiful decorative welds, but it just makes welds just stuck too easily ... and this is alas often the case with new material with welds that drop easily

MMA (classic baguette) is the best solution for repair, especially for uneven thickness ... you have to wipe the baguette to heat the thick piece more often and be less often on the thin part

you should not be afraid to pierce the fine part: if you pierce you fill up ... a weld pierced and plugged in and more solid than a bonded weld by advancing too quickly

the strongest weld is not necessarily the most beautiful
1 x