Voles, the 2021 hunt is on

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Voles, the 2021 hunt is on

by Exnihiloest » 28/01/21, 22:35

Christophe wrote:... there are still wild cats ...

It was in the 60s. Since rap replaced rock, those people have aged.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 28/01/21, 22:38

Biobombe wrote:The 2021 hunting season is open. Taken from this afternoon.
the beast is surrounded by the tools which were fatal to it and which comes from the missing and regretted Manufrance

We have the same kind of trap still on sale, for moles. And it works. A bit cruel anyway, because the beast does not necessarily die instantly. But against moles, I have not found better.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 28/01/21, 23:56

Exnihiloest wrote:We have the same kind of trap still on sale, for moles. And it works. A bit cruel anyway, because the beast does not necessarily die instantly. But against moles, I have not found better.

The traps I have pictured are indicated for voles. If we know how to set and arm these traps, the animal is ad patres instantly.
These traps also catch moles which are similarly poisoned.
I will try to make tomorrow a tof which shows my traps, which I no longer use, for moles, and whose capture principle is different.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 02/03/21, 22:29

the young have survived and are very difficult to take because they roam, unlike adults, over great distances and in the open.
this one did not suffer bezef before being ad patres.

0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 23/03/21, 22:48

An adult, male, of good size and with a fairly light two-tone coat, which was beginning to attack the hearts of winter lettuce.

0 x
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 24/03/21, 17:28

Small question about their galleries.

Under my hay and dead leaves, I actually see furrows or holes that greatly remind me of voles.

However, it is difficult for me to identify the hole, or the galleries, because there is very often a mixture of decomposed leaves or BRF above or in the middle ...

From your experience, if I were to acquire traps, what is the best way to place them without them triggering due to dirt or debris?
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 24/03/21, 22:44

LobaLovo wrote:Small question about their galleries.

Under my hay and dead leaves, I actually see furrows or holes that greatly remind me of voles.

However, it is difficult for me to identify the hole, or the galleries, because there is very often a mixture of decomposed leaves or BRF above or in the middle ...

From your experience, if I were to acquire traps, what is the best way to place them without them triggering due to dirt or debris?

If the critters are under a litter it is because it offers them food and hiding places.
Vole galleries are often underground highways with a much larger diameter than those of field mice. The latter nevertheless appreciate the light of day and can be caught by classic swatches not hidden under the ground.
But the traps as I show above here are to be driven into the galleries and are therefore not sensitive to what is above them.
Voles are often, but not always, identified by mounds of earth. They always need solid, carrots, turnips, radishes, endives, beets etc ..., to put in their mouths which is not the case with you in view of the photos of your future vegetable garden.
1 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 24/03/21, 23:09

little video (but in German) on apple tree planting ...

they "wrap" the roots in wire mesh to prevent mole rats from reaching them.
And say that after a few years, this wire mesh will have disappeared (rusty), the roots will be able to develop but at this stage, they will no longer interest the rodents.

2 x
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 25/03/21, 12:31

Biobombe wrote:
LobaLovo wrote:Small question about their galleries.

If the critters are under a litter it is because it offers them food and hiding places.
Vole galleries are often underground highways with a much larger diameter than those of field mice. The latter nevertheless appreciate the light of day and can be caught by classic swatches not hidden under the ground.
But the traps as I show above here are to be driven into the galleries and are therefore not sensitive to what is above them.
Voles are often, but not always, identified by mounds of earth. They always need solid, carrots, turnips, radishes, endives, beets etc ..., to put in their mouths which is not the case with you in view of the photos of your future vegetable garden.

Hello Biobombe, and thanks for your response.

Indeed, the fact that there are no cultures at the moment intrigues me ...

Near a hazel tree I was able to observe elevated trails, then scratching to see that it was a gallery ...
Not just a mound (like that of a mole) but more spaced out along the length. I'll take a photo this afternoon.

I am going to test several things, the traps you have, as well as the technique of the swatter with a jump over.

I also read the fact of putting dog hair in the galleries ... Anyone have a feedback?

Thanks again for your advice!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/03/21, 12:43

LobaLovo wrote:Near a hazel tree I was able to observe elevated trails, then scratching to see that it was a gallery ...
Not just a mound (like that of a mole) but more spaced out along the length. I'll take a photo this afternoon.

I am going to test several things, the traps you have, as well as the technique of the swatter with a jump over.

I also read the fact of putting dog hair in the galleries ... Anyone have a feedback?

Thanks again for your advice!

as said above we must not confuse voles and field mice, the surface galleries in the hay are often field mice and it is fagot, if field mice are really a problem, for voles it is "true "underground galleries and there it is a trap

stop reading bullshit on the internet, Doris, you summed it up, the only way to fight against voles is trapping
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"