Voles, the 2021 hunt is on

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Voles, the 2021 hunt is on

by jardama » 27/08/21, 11:17

I am using the topcat trap; very easy to use. Same observation as Didier: in the same gallery, I took 9! big and bigger and smaller as if it were family. And then nothing more. I put castor granules in the holes, I don't know if it has any effectiveness ...
Just a mole that got caught. it had stuck her paw, poor thing, I released her, she was alive.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/08/21, 11:42

The mole after "eradication" of mole rats?

[This would comfort me in the hypothesis that mole rats squat mole galleries; once they have been eradicated, the moles regain possession of their territory. So I accidentally caught a mole. It's a shame, but a good sign: the mole rats have packed up or been trapped. More unhappy, I caught a ferret (or other mustelid - I did not identify). He too was "pinched" but still alive. Beware: when I released him he tried to leap towards me - well my hand]
0 x
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 27/08/21, 14:20

The opening of the galleries is undoubtedly a double-edged sword. It is the door open for the fox but also for the mole rats which, suddenly, do not even have to dig to reach the gallery. For now, my record looks rather positive. I say "in the air" because seen from the surface, life underground is quite opaque 8)

Quick question: in a situation where the good earthworms are apparently present but not as abundant as one would like (too acidic soil), is letting the moles run so wise? Once the abundance is obtained, I say not, their galleries are a plus but in the meantime ...
0 x
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jardama » 27/08/21, 20:45

No the mole, it was not in the same place.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/08/21, 21:01

Miaos wrote:The opening of the galleries is undoubtedly a double-edged sword. It is the door open for the fox but also for the mole rats which, suddenly, do not even have to dig to reach the gallery. For now, my record looks rather positive. I say "in the air" because seen from the surface, life underground is quite opaque 8)

That, I don't think: their domain is the underground galleries ... If they go out, it's to nibble. Or harvest apples. And then come back down through the hole through which they came ... So, at best, opening the galleries "exposes" them to a ballad which can become fatal. At worst, it doesn't change anything. They were already there!

They often fill up (which they do at home - as I have more "circulations" than traps, and patience to place them, I open and I look where it clogs: I know then that it is. active in this place and I set a trap ... Otherwise, I leave ...

For info, this afternoon, in a DIY store, 2 Putange traps + 1 key for € 5,90.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/08/21, 21:02

jardama wrote:No the mole, it was not in the same place.

OKAY.

This is the risk. Because molehills can be real - mole molehills! In principle, the inclination of the gallery makes it possible to determine - I do not find that so obvious as indicated on the diagrams!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/08/21, 21:03

Miaos wrote:Quick question: in a situation where the good earthworms are apparently present but not as abundant as one would like (too acidic soil), is letting the moles run so wise? Once the abundance is obtained, I say not, their galleries are a plus but in the meantime ...

Yes, good question ... And probably no clear answer, simple!

An arbitration to do!
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 27/08/21, 21:08

Did67 wrote:
For info, this afternoon, in a DIY store, 2 Putange traps + 1 key for € 5,90.

If it is the key that is turned between the jaws, the whole is null. The arms of the traps cross easily and are not big enough. By tinkering a little we manage to use them as best we can.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 27/08/21, 21:12

Did67 wrote:
Miaos wrote:Quick question: in a situation where the good earthworms are apparently present but not as abundant as one would like (too acidic soil), is letting the moles run so wise? Once the abundance is obtained, I say not, their galleries are a plus but in the meantime ...

An arbitration to do!

It depends on the type of worm.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 28/08/21, 03:04

Biobombe wrote:
Did67 wrote:

An arbitration to do!

It depends on the type of worm.

(Study) In the stomach of moles were found:

* Earthworms - over 90% of the content, they were found in all captured animals;
* Beetle larvae - about 6% of the content;
* Other insects, centipedes and crustaceans (wood lice) - about 3%;
* Remains of grains and soft parts of plants, tubers and tubers - less than 1%.
https://bigbadmole.com/kroty/o-krotax/c ... -krot.html
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"