Vegetable garden of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
cabbage
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Laziness of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

by cabbage » 26/09/20, 20:17

Ha, plastic is fantastic as the song said, but it's not ecological and yet it rhymes : roll:
0 x
Y am so happy cause today y found my frends .....
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/09/20, 20:55

A long time ago, I had recourse to the "Paperpot" technique: it is an ingenious system that comes in the form of thick strips of paper that you unfold and thus obtain a large surface of pots. hexagonal tubulars (since the pots are glued together) in honeycomb *. The glue that connects the pots to each other is water-soluble, unlike the bonding of the rectangle of paper that makes up each pot **: thus, it is possible to handle the pots and fill them with substrate as if they were a plate and, when transplanting, it is only individual pots that will degrade in the soil ...
The trouble being that it is hardly possible to make this device on an artisanal scale: as it is designed, without automating the production of the bands, it would take too much time and would be of no interest.

* As there is no background, I put everything on a rigid mesh covered with a sheet of newspaper, the whole sufficiently *** raised from the ground to induce a self-centering of the roots in the air.
** As the pot is hexagonal at the start, there is no wasted space and since it ends round, it reconciles Adrien et Did!
*** Pifometric estimate which has proven to be very reliable from experience! : Lol:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 26/09/20, 22:21

Moindreffor wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:The delay in transplanting is real but it is only one of the advantages of the system (to date) among others.
We will say that not to handle the plants at all and to leave them in their original substrate when transplanting reduces transplant stress.

Now it may also depend on the climates, terroirs and conditions of each.

Maybe it's because the ground here is still cold late in the season.

I think your problem is more at this level, at home I will install temporary frames to heat the transplanting or planting or sowing area, depending on the season

example in March it is still cold, if I plant onions, in particular red onions, they vernalize and go to seed, with the frame on this area, the problem will be lessened
then I will transplant salads, or boost my winter salads with this system
then around mid-May I will transplant my tomatoes, eggplants, which have trouble taking off because at night it is still cool even if it no longer freezes, and hop I move and I transplant the peppers, which they have to wait a little longer , because much more cautious, and the chassis will remain there so that when September arrives it brings the most at night

I think that what you observe is what Didier talks about in terms of temperature, your tube above ground in winter will be a disadvantage because it will cool more by cons in spring it will heat up faster hence the best reprise

honestly for me your problem is the slugs, your donut molds are effective but you have a problem with transplanting you have to do it in bare roots, which I never do with buckets (it's like your tube except that you demoulds) or you have to stuff the hole of the mold, and sow in it (you did it at one time) and leave these molds warm while it rises, but there is the place which increases enormously

So you have developed a system that suits you, that's good, it worked under the straw hat, but wouldn't a little ferramol have been more effective? I know you work under cover alive unlike me, personally I don't have a problem with slugs, so why?

but for someone who wants to do little I find that you do more and more, because apart from unmolding the bucket I do not see what I am doing in addition, since for some transplants I do not even dig the earth , I put it in a small hole in a hay well compacted by the rain or watering

but really I respect your approach, you find solutions to your problems and that's great

So the tube "above ground" (it's not levitating either : Mrgreen: ) in winter it's not too much of a problem because in winter there will be winter crops.
In winter I can do without the mold and cover it with hay to protect the part of the tube "above ground".

The only weak point of mussels with respect to slugs is that they can always slip under and infiltrate against the wall of the central hole to go up to the plant.

Otherwise there was (was) no transplanting problem with the mussels
- either it's a plantlet with such a mini root ball transplanted directly into the central circle filled with soil: not practical
- either it is transplanted in the earth with the root ball of the bucket and I pass the mold over it: as currently with the tubes, but transplanting in the earth is ch ....

On the other hand, actually sowing in the hole of the mold is not practical out of the ground and then it is not made for that.

The ferramol my wife used but ... it works very badly.
We have too much surface area, we need ... quantities
In addition, it waters so ... well it's complicated
In large quantities the agris put sluxx, we thought about it but pfff it's not our thing
In addition we do a lot of direct sowing and there you just need a few slugs to slaughter 50 salads of 1cm ...
It would be necessary to make buckets, even pots, to transplant less young plants therefore less palatable and you fall back on the worry of the place to do this.
Today we prefer to live with it and protect ourselves.

If there is one really fantastic thing (a priori) it is the chickens.
But we'll see that in another video

Ah, but it's exactly the same as the bucket.
I said it's just a container like any other.
But a container adapted to the lack of space at home
A container suitable for slug control
For the rest it's kif kif except that you do not demould

But if you have no slugs and you don't have to worry about space in a room well sheltered from the cold to sow your seedlings in January or throughout the beginning of the year until spring, you are the king of oil is on
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 26/09/20, 22:28

choucoune wrote:Ha, plastic is fantastic as the song said, but it's not ecological and yet it rhymes : roll:

Is there anything better than plastic cups?
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 27/09/20, 00:30

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Doris wrote:OK, understood, thank you, indeed the temperature difference between your soil and the containers is more important. Well, curious to have some feedback in a few months, to see what happens over time, it's always interesting. For the moment I am staying with the bottles, even soon, to try to eat some peas next spring. : Cheesy:

What do you do with the bottles?

I will only use them for certain crops (which I cannot entrust to my ducks, and whose slugs are too greedy), peas and turnips, otherwise for the rest my team protects. In fact, it does the same job as the tubes, if I understood correctly, except that I do not have donut molds, that for a whole line of peas, donut molds seem to me an expensive and inappropriate solution, and unlike you I think I have slugs all year round
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 27/09/20, 01:51

Doris wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Doris wrote:OK, understood, thank you, indeed the temperature difference between your soil and the containers is more important. Well, curious to have some feedback in a few months, to see what happens over time, it's always interesting. For the moment I am staying with the bottles, even soon, to try to eat some peas next spring. : Cheesy:

What do you do with the bottles?

I will only use them for certain crops (which I cannot entrust to my ducks, and whose slugs are too greedy), peas and turnips, otherwise for the rest my team protects. In fact, it does the same job as the tubes, if I understood correctly, except that I do not have donut molds, that for a whole line of peas, donut molds seem to me an expensive and inappropriate solution, and unlike you I think I have slugs all year round

With the ducks it is complicated.

On the other hand, the preventive hens seem to work quite a bit.

The molds I solved the problem by making them myself ... that's for sure it's more economical.

We are fortunate not to have it in the winter ... or rather when it gets cold, even if in the chests they have good shelter but all the same the cold calms them down well.

By the way the first frost is tonight ... already -0.2.
Last year it was -3.4 on September 9 ... we gained a little more than 15 days.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 27/09/20, 06:42

Yes, I saw that you put your chickens in your coffers before installing a new culture there and that's good, especially since you have, if I remember correctly, mainly the little gray ones, and those- there, the hens are fond of it. But now, you had your first frost, I'm still far from it, and even if we can have white frosts here, having 18 ° C during the day, it does not calm the slugs. And then I also have a lot of big slugs of all kinds, the mussels make them laugh. Regarding the peas, the bottles allow me to sow pockets, and I can protect them for a long time against slugs, that was good. I'm still going to do a test without bottles to see, even if I can't let the ducks go there (yes, I can, but with me beside), with my team all around the plots, and many I don't have many slugs left in the vegetable garden.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 27/09/20, 18:43

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:In addition we do a lot of direct sowing and there you just need a few slugs to slaughter 50 salads of 1cm ...
It would be necessary to make buckets, even pots, to transplant less young plants therefore less palatable and you fall back on the worry of the place to do this.

let's say that I don't do direct sowing, and that when I make salad it's 12 cups max, to be renewed more often, we are two to consume salad by transplanting 12 salads I assure 6 to 8 on 15 days 3 weeks before it goes up, and therefore must be renewed I am not in mass production so with buckets no need for a huge space, I have the mini greenhouse, for early vegetables that do not have not afraid of the cold, and come after the more chilly vegetables and this year I realize that even transplanted very very late it is possible to have a production, so next year I will sow earlier, but so that I can put outside without fear of frost in the mini-greenhouse or the frame, the vigor of the plants really compensates for the small delay in the calendar

you talk to us a lot about chests but you also had nantais frames in your greenhouse what happened?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 27/09/20, 21:35

Moindreffor wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:In addition we do a lot of direct sowing and there you just need a few slugs to slaughter 50 salads of 1cm ...

let's say that I don't do direct sowing, and that when I make salad it's 12 cups max, to be renewed more often, we are two to consume salad by transplanting 12 salads I assure 6 to 8 on 15 days 3 weeks before it goes up, and therefore must be renewed I am not in mass production so with buckets no need for a huge space, I have the mini greenhouse, for early vegetables that do not have not afraid of the cold, and come after the more chilly vegetables and this year I realize that even transplanted very very late it is possible to have a production, so next year I will sow earlier, but so that I can put outside without fear of frost in the mini-greenhouse or the frame, the vigor of the plants really compensates for the small delay in the calendar

you talk to us a lot about chests but you also had nantais frames in your greenhouse what happened?

Yes, of course, everything depends on the needs, it's obvious.

Have you seen the number of Brussels sprouts we prepare.

Well, we are also betting on loss.

The Nantes tunnels in the greenhouse only operate in winter.
We leave the poles in tor the summer but we do not put the P30 back until later ....
Although last night we had a nasty first frost at -6: I made a video about it to appear.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 27/09/20, 21:58

Very first frost of the fall and it didn't pretend: -5.9

zucchini and eggplant outside out: normal
cabbage seedlings protected RAS crates
seedling chews it's not even worth talking about OK

In the coffers without taparel (yes I didn't think it would go down so quickly) the tomatoes have died out but not the low crops, tomato plant, eggplant, peas and ... avocado.

In the chests with taparel RAS ... phew.
The potato is still going well, as if nothing had happened: it is low and was in a chest with taparel

In the organic climate, basil is also nickel: with the avocado it will be the "canaries at the bottom of the mine". Image

video coming soon
0 x