Vegetable garden of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Laziness of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 06/08/20, 20:42

Moindreffor wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Obviously I wrongly inserted the video Image

my gun model is much softer, jet not as fine, but not as much pressure, it is really close to the sprinkler head, so less pressure but much more water supplied

you should try in a bucket or a watering can to do the same time as in the video and you might be surprised at the actual volume you put

Yes I saw the model, it is very good, I bought the same extension to test but I also gave up.

In fact it was when I realized that, pipe open, I had no waste / runoff, that I dropped the apples (it's gravity : Mrgreen: Newton would say).

You can slide the hose from anywhere and I manage the opening with a gardena / tap connection about 1m higher (as shown in the video.
With that I "slip" anywhere, whether in the chests or elsewhere.

I push the pipe into the 1st cm from the ground a blow to the right and I send the maximum flow, then ditto in the center and ditto on the left.
The time saved for each watering is enormous and the frequency of watering very much reduced

And the tomatoes, of course, are even less of a concern than at the start of the season or last year ... for the moment they have remained lively whereas last year they often wilted at the end of the day and I can promise you that 'It's hot right now and it's not over.

There we are going to leave for 4 days but that does not give me any more trouble.
I will do what is necessary the day before and I am sure they will not be the face when we return.

Really, when you think about soil = reservoir, it changes the view of things.
It is also necessary that the soil accepts such flow rates in such a short period of time without repressing.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/08/20, 00:34

Did67 wrote:So when we water without wasting, we are doing nothing other than filling the microporosity of the soil in the sphere that the roots can reach. If you water more, the water is no longer retained and infiltrates, carrying nutrients (leaching). We think of making life easier for plants, while we are wasting.

This is what we should succeed in trying to measure more precisely ...

Okay, I still haven't asked my "thing" (I don't even know what it's called Image).
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 07/08/20, 08:50

Moindreffor wrote:otherwise I took that to water, because like Adrien, I realized last year that watering the hay is more important than watering the veg stems, watering the stems carefully, does not provide enough water to mineralize the hay and therefore we bring the drink, but not the plate, it helps survival but it is not the party

I think last year was a major problem with me, and I figured it out too late. This year it rains even less here than in 2019, so very early in the season the hay started to form a kind of doormat, impenetrable and dry. In my various posts about watering I always talk about the soil, but my concern was the mineralization of the hay too. At the moment, everything is going well here.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 07/08/20, 09:27

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:This is what we should succeed in trying to measure more precisely ...

Okay, I still haven't asked my "thing" (I don't even know what it's called Image).

Without blood pressure monitor:

a) fill a pot with your soil and plant a small vegetable in it

b) soak it in a basin or basin, for 24 hours

c) remove it, let it drain for 24 hours

d) weigh and note (yes yes !!!)

e) expose it to the sun until the vegetable wilts (you will see that the earth was "dry" - at your discretion - long before); reweigh!

The difference in weight corresponds as a first approximation to the RU (not the RFU, because in the end, the plant "struggles") of your soil. What corresponds roughly to the microporosity (the water flowing in c) corresponds to that which fills the macroporosity; it is too far from soil particles to be retained; the one that remains at the end, because even when dry, like flour, the soil still contains water, it is "skin" water - it makes a film of the order of a few microns around the particles).

At the same time, calibrate the tensiometric probe: when the water has finished draining (wiping), the voltage is close to 0. What is important to note is the voltage while the plant is going. wilting: it depends on the texture of the soil - low in sandy soil, it is very high in clay soil. This is the level below which you SHOULD stay, in YOUR situation. We are towards orders of magnitude of 300 or 400 or 500 mbars (on our Stelzner probes)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/08/20, 09:29

Doris wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:otherwise I took that to water, because like Adrien, I realized last year that watering the hay is more important than watering the veg stems, watering the stems carefully, does not provide enough water to mineralize the hay and therefore we bring the drink, but not the plate, it helps survival but it is not the party

I think last year was a major problem with me, and I figured it out too late. This year it rains even less here than in 2019, so very early in the season the hay started to form a kind of doormat, impenetrable and dry. In my various posts about watering I always talk about the soil, but my concern was the mineralization of the hay too. At the moment, everything is going well here.

Yes, it is something that I had understood "intellectually", without always drawing it in practice. But it is a "tip" that I will reinforce (version 2 of the book, conferences, workshops ...).

Afterwards, I am stuck with my desire not to pump on the network and the absence of a water source such as a well, catchment, source, stream ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/08/20, 12:17

Moindreffor wrote:Note for my watering coach, with that, I water with pleasure and without fatigue, just the hose a little too short, I have to buy an extension to go to the end of the garden : Mrgreen: I put a good layer of it in the onions, but the poor are my dog's delight eating the leaves, and the birds have covered another part, so I don't rely on the yields to draw conclusions, but on the size of a few bulbs, the red ones seem to have suffered less

Perfect!
But be careful with your dog, the onion is poisonous:

https://www.fregis.com/urgence/intoxica ... aux-chien/

and loads of other sources, I took this one at random.
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/08/20, 15:20

Did67 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:This is what we should succeed in trying to measure more precisely ...

Without blood pressure monitor:

a) fill a pot with your soil and plant a small vegetable in it

b) soak it in a basin or basin, for 24 hours

c) remove it, let it drain for 24 hours

d) weigh and note (yes yes !!!)

e) expose it to the sun until the vegetable wilts (you will see that the earth was "dry" - at your discretion - long before); reweigh!

The difference in weight corresponds as a first approximation to the RU (not the RFU, because in the end, the plant "struggles") of your soil. What corresponds roughly to the microporosity (the water flowing in c) corresponds to that which fills the macroporosity; it is too far from soil particles to be retained; the one that remains at the end, because even when dry, like flour, the soil still contains water, it is "skin" water - it makes a film of the order of a few microns around the particles).

At the same time, calibrate the tensiometric probe: when the water has finished draining (wiping), the voltage is close to 0. What is important to note is the voltage while the plant is going. wilting: it depends on the texture of the soil - low in sandy soil, it is very high in clay soil. This is the level below which you SHOULD stay, in YOUR situation. We are towards orders of magnitude of 300 or 400 or 500 mbars (on our Stelzner probes)

I promise I'll plant it (the blood pressure monitor) ... after the holidays (3 days won't be long Image
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/08/20, 16:00

I had not noted but quite if it is to have dried hay it is better than nothing but your image is the good one is missing a part.

This is obviously the ideal.

Then come all the contingencies: local watering restrictions or the cost of the resource.

Afterwards we embarked on a way of market gardening on living soil so we have to assume (or move to the valley floors near the rivers.)

We are the guarantors of this soil management and we have to move the cursor of our vision of things precisely on everything that we cannot see and which is located Xm below the surface.

And have a global vision above below + 2m and the top of tomatoes or beans at -Xm underground.
As in animated films or drawings where we see in section both what is above and below the ground.

a-living-soil3-82-728.jpg
un-sol-vivant3-82-728.jpg (220.55 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

Here is a good educational document to download for free ... it's the Alimenterre brochure entitled La vie cachée des sols

The Hidden Life of Soils.png brochure
plaquette la vie cachée des sols.png (287.19 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

A good slide too

And when we see the news on TV at the moment I wonder if we are not dangerously approaching a new dust bowl in certain regions of France

dust bowl.jpeg
dust bowl.jpeg (79.79 KiB) Viewed 2138 times

dust bowl 2.jpg
dust bowl 2.jpg (340.26 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/08/20, 10:01

attention for water, there is lack and lack
2 pumping stations too close and you quickly have a lack of water, which is in fact only illusory, the first drying up the second and vice versa, and currently in my corner, the lack of precipitation which makes the meadows are yellow and dry, except those by the river in the major bed, the water is still there

Then comes another factor, the density of livestock, in the mountains with the decrease in the number of breeders, some pastures are no longer maintained, the forest returns and in the plain where the herds are developing, there is overconsumption of fodder and therefore with a lack of rain the resource quickly reaches its limits, but as soon as the rains return the meadow will turn green again

the water cycle has meant that for billions of years, there has been the same amount of water on Earth, so there will be no shortage of water, it will be more or less abundant in certain places, the more you have floods, the less drought, what is important to change are our behavior, from memory and it may be a little old but in Africa we are at 50L per capita, in France around 150L and in the USA in some states we go up to 750L

to work on living soil, for me it is to maintain the life of the soil, I know that under a thick layer of hay and without vegetation, even without watering my soil is still wet despite the absence of rain, therefore my soil has what it is necessary, as soon as one cultivates, the evapotranspiration will draw water from the ground and there yes it is necessary to replace, and since you want to work in living ground it is necessary to water this population as any farmer wateres his cows, a cow cannot give 40L of milk if she does not drink at least 40L of water

So watering the hay is part of this living maintenance, after drawing on the network at a higher or lower rate depending on the region, but it is a necessary step if we want to have a production, then it is up to us to show imagination to store water when it falls, to restore it when it does not fall, because enough water falls every year

then we know that the more humus there is (let's take this term in its ultra simplified version) the more water we can store, Doris sees it with her sand, the RU increases, with the inputs of OM, so to us too to increase this retention capacity

working under living cover also means emptying the reserve where there is no production, so when there is a lack of water, the living cover? said above my soil under a large layer of hay without planting is wet without watering

so I think there is a way to do it but as you say it is necessary to think, because not everyone can or does not want to turn on the tap and let the water run as they want
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/08/20, 14:39

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:Note for my watering coach, with that, I water with pleasure and without fatigue, just the hose a little too short, I have to buy an extension to go to the end of the garden : Mrgreen: I put a good layer of it in the onions, but the poor are my dog's delight eating the leaves, and the birds have covered another part, so I don't rely on the yields to draw conclusions, but on the size of a few bulbs, the red ones seem to have suffered less

Perfect!
But be careful with your dog, the onion is poisonous:

https://www.fregis.com/urgence/intoxica ... aux-chien/

and loads of other sources, I took this one at random.

I just read apparently it is the bulb which is toxic, so there it eats the leaves, but the info is interesting, we do not think enough of our animals which are not sensitive to the same things as us
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)