Trees, forests, and forestry

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Trees, forests, and forestry

by Ahmed » 16/12/21, 17:58

A simple fact shows, if need be, that the root system contains ample reserves: in case of ground cutting, deciduous trees (and some conifers) are able to regenerate their stem system, sometimes with great vigor: c 'is stump rejection.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 16/12/21, 18:26

The olive tree is a perfect example.
https://www.aeloc.fr/articles.php?lng=f ... &tconfig=0
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 16/12/21, 18:50

The practice of treating simple coppice or, more sophisticated, coppicing under high forest, illustrates this aptitude. In the chestnut tree and even more the black locust, it is spectacular with, for the second, shoots of about 3 m the first year ...
Coppicing (cutting flush with the collar) is also a common practice in forestry; let us suppose a red oak plant * which resumes with difficulty: its trunk is "twisted", but after 2 mediocre years, in the spring of the third, it emits a vigorous growth. This in no way straightens the previous conformation of the trunk, so the forester will cut back in the fall following this plant and the following year (the fourth if you have followed everything correctly. 8) ) the shoot will be straight and equal to that of the cumulative previous shoots. This wait corresponds to the delay in the accumulation of reserves in the root system, which is manifested by the vigorous growth of year 3.

More generally, a period of 3 years is necessary for transplants that have one or more negative factors.

* Lived experience ...
1 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 22/05/22, 22:30

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/05/22, 12:39

Your link does not lead to the video in question and I cannot find it on the site... :frown:
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 26/05/22, 23:06

Ahmed wrote:Your link does not lead to the video in question and I cannot find it on the site... :frown:

I just tried again, and my link works.

If you still can't do it, here is a good youtube channel to console you:
https://www.youtube.com/c/LesGrandesPlantes/videos
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 01/03/24, 20:46

Destruction of forests in the name of ecology

3 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/24, 12:52

Um, forest chips from trees that have just been cut must contain too much moisture... and it is impossible for it to dry well when it is stored in bulk... On the contrary it will start to compost...

So in industrial boiler rooms, it is preheated/dried before combustion (therefore loss of overall efficiency of the installation) or do they ignore it and burn green wood? : Shock:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/03/24, 13:20

Christophe wrote:Um, forest chips from trees that have just been cut must contain too much moisture... and it is impossible for it to dry well when it is stored in bulk... On the contrary it will start to compost...

So in industrial boiler rooms, it is preheated/dried before combustion (therefore loss of overall efficiency of the installation) or do they ignore it and burn green wood? : Shock:

To my knowledge no. Storage in piles actually leads to a rise in temperature, but this will help reduce humidity if the pile is properly ventilated.
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/03/24, 17:43

Indeed, once the piles are stored dry (either in a shed or a breathable and draining tarpaulin [properly installed, it evacuates rainwater]) or outside in large volumes*, the bacteria cause the whole thing to heat up. with little carbon consumption. As soon as the humidity level drops, which happens quickly, the activity of bacteria stops: isn't life beautiful?
Another solution is to store piles of branches at the side of the road or path and let them dry for a summer before crushing them as necessary from the fall...

* The ratio between volume and surface area is such that the volume exposed to water is negligible.
1 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"