Tomatoes: varieties, cultivation techniques, etc ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Tomatoes: varieties, cultivation techniques, etc ...

by Biobomb » 20/07/21, 09:47

[quote = "izentrop"]
the diffusing cover.
-----------------------------------
What is it please?
What is the fence at the greenhouse door for?
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 20/07/21, 15:07

Biobombe wrote:
izentrop wrote: the diffusing cover.

It also piqued my curiosity, it is the transparent plastic which makes a greenhouse and which has a diffusing effect on the light.
https://www.jardincouvert.com/baches-fi ... e-200.html
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 20/07/21, 18:08

Humus responded for the diffusing tarpaulin. The fence is for blackbirds, pigeons, wild rabbits, my hens also when they are beautiful ...
I leave a maximum of biodiversity in a large part of the land that is not cultivated.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 20/07/21, 23:05

izentrop wrote:
Unmanageable in case of disease or pests, no more production, smaller tomatoes sometimes difficult to pick from the clutter. I prefer to manage 3 branches.

I have been a follower of my technique for a few years. I hope to prove you wrong even this year when a lot of things seem crazy and contradictory, and I would give an honest report. But hey, I can screw up ...

but by keeping 3 branches, the plants reach at the end of the season what height and do they not touch the ceiling of the greenhouse? Are you chopping off their heads? I thought about doing it this year to keep only 5 layers of bouquets at the most.
How tall are your plants right now?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 20/07/21, 23:35

I said 3 but it can be more if a greedy is too developed when I notice it. I leave almost all of it for the cherry tomatoes, as long as I manage to tie them so they don't drag on the ground. mildew is progressing so quickly with us in ch'nord.

This evening I found other spots, including an affected tomato which was already partly rotten. Some plans are within 2 meters. Prune the head, it can be done if there are enough side branches, otherwise attach horizontally.
0 x
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 29/07/21, 11:07

I have the impression that my tomatoes are doing well especially the bushy ones, Río grande and Siberian variety. I planted a little tight and late (because of the weather) but since then I have done nothing: neither pruning nor watering nor weeding (no time).
The sowings were more problematic because sown too early they had to be maintained until mid May.
The problem is that with this delay they will be ripe when we will be on vacation : Cheesy: luckily the neighbor will watch.
signal-2021-07-28-195710.jpg
It abounds

The other varieties, with indeterminate habit that I pruned, remained puny, few fruits and wither from the bottom with some traces of mildew or alternaria disease ...
0 x
it depends

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"