Tomatoes: varieties, cultivation techniques, etc ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
MadameOurs
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Tomatoes: varieties, cultivation techniques, etc ...

by MadameOurs » 10/07/21, 16:10

I didn't have time to stake the tomatoes, and with the weight some branches broke. @humus when you say that planting in a grove allows them to bend over without breaking it interests me. How many feet have you planted for what spacing?

Here I tried Saint Pierre, Burbank, and Montfavet.
Sowing at the end of February, planted late in May, first harvest at the end of June. Our favorites so far are the Saint Pierre.

Staking is a recurring problem with us, never the right technique, never time to do it, always too late. The day I find a way not to tutor, it's perfect!

A small photo taken in a parking lot. Stony ground and no watering ... And yet it grows!
Attachments
IMG_20210630_160028459.jpg
1 x
Today there is dessert.
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 10/07/21, 17:52

MadameOurs wrote:I didn't have time to stake the tomatoes, and with the weight some branches broke. @humus when you say that planting in a grove allows them to bend over without breaking it interests me. How many feet have you planted for what spacing?

I am starting this non-staking experience.
Last year, no doubt the beginner's luck, it went well, the groves were sufficiently spaced.
I had planted every meter approximately and this year, every 50/60 cm only + with pumpkin in places.
I am a fan of virgin forests and emulation between plants and for the moment I have nothing. I am not an example to follow! : Wink:
Very bad year for me but everything is beautifully green. Thank you sir weather.

This year, I planted too dense:

Elsewhere, isolated just behind the pumpkin:

Here we see the branches that make an S, they bend, crawl and start again vertically but no fruit tomatoes yet to constrain the branches. The few that there are are still small

Last year I had broken branches still connected to the main trunk, I left, it gave anyway.
The fruits do not touch the ground directly, there is BRF.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 10/07/21, 22:53

humus wrote:I am a follower of the virgin forest

Me too, under cover in staked but not pruned, it gives plants to almost 2 m

tmt 10 7 21.JPG
tmt 10 7 21.JPG (115.27 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 10/07/21, 22:56

I bought tutors like these from Aldi, they are hollow aluminum, super light, inexpensive.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 10/07/21, 23:32

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:I bought tutors like these from Aldi, they are hollow aluminum, super light, inexpensive.

I have also in aluminum, for 40 years. I didn't know they could be found at Aldi, go find out. Thanks for the tip.
But the ones on the tof are steel and not as big as the aluminum ones. So I assembled 2 scrap stakes so that the whole is at least 2 m.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 10/07/21, 23:58

Hello,

Me personally, I make tomato cages. (Concrete irons of 10 and large galvanized steel)

A little inspired by the model presented on the Kokopelli book, but reworked in my own way : Wink:
0 x
MadameOurs
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by MadameOurs » 11/07/21, 00:51

Thank you for your inspirations and pretty virgin forests !. The tomato cage tempts me well but it will be for when I have time to tinker.

I thought spiral stakes were for plants pruned to grow on a single stem?
(I'm a sorry vegetable quiche)
0 x
Today there is dessert.
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 11/07/21, 01:08

Biobombe wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:I bought tutors like these from Aldi, they are hollow aluminum, super light, inexpensive.

I have also in aluminum, for 40 years. I didn't know they could be found at Aldi, go find out. Thanks for the tip.
But the ones on the tof are steel and not as big as the aluminum ones. So I assembled 2 scrap stakes so that the whole is at least 2 m.

I just looked in the July catalog, they are no longer there, I bought them in June. Phone before moving to see if there are any left!
https://www.aldi.fr/offres-et-bons-plan ... ticle.html
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 11/07/21, 09:58

AD 44 wrote:Hello,

Me personally, I make tomato cages. (Concrete irons of 10 and large galvanized steel)

A little inspired by the model presented on the Kokopelli book, but reworked in my own way : Wink:

Does it take a little or more space? Do you easily pick tomatoes? Easy storage?
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 11/07/21, 10:07

MadameOurs wrote:Thank you for your inspirations and pretty virgin forests !. The tomato cage tempts me well but it will be for when I have time to tinker.

I thought spiral stakes were for plants pruned to grow on a single stem?
(I'm a sorry vegetable quiche)

But no because you think so. Several stems, greedy, are possible but it is necessary from the beginning of the plantation to manage the whole. Otherwise, you have to tie up again and again. The spiral must be driven into the ground, here at least, 30 to 40 cm, with a tool that is not light at all.
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"