The vegetable garden without getting tired

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The vegetable garden without getting tired

by Did67 » 30/08/21, 14:58

stephgouv wrote:What if the solution was to simply stop planting indoors?
Seeds / seeds would germinate at their convenience, right? And therefore the risk of vernalization would be greatly reduced.
Look at the forgotten potatoes from the previous harvest or the seeds of cucurbits, who tells them it's time to germinate ???

With the biennials, however, this is not a guarantee !!!

Beware of the arch-false idea that "nature knows". Look at the plants which are regularly had: jellies, etc ... On the perennials, it is they who "decide" to bud ... I had pdt come spontaneously, too early, to be grilled ... I have tomatoes that have just risen - they will be roasted!

So, alas, this is too naive.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/08/21, 17:45

Did67 wrote:

Read: "... this is however not a guarantee !!!"
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 30/08/21, 17:49

Did67 wrote:
Did67 wrote:

Read: "... this is however not a guarantee !!!"

The "no" is to obligatory. The first sentence was already correct, although the style is a bit outdated. : Wink:
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/08/21, 20:13

also remember that there are areas where the Roscoff red onion is grown, it is not by chance that it likes this region, because very early, even if it is not very hot, it will not no longer very cold and therefore the risk of vernalization is very reduced and this early enough to ensure good development

We must not forget that before there were regional vegetables and we were already exporting and as it was vital for the producer he ensured with vegetables adapted to the territory, now we are talking about short circuits except that there the consumer wants " bio "and the diversity of supermarkets 10 minutes from his home, in the south easy for tomatoes, more difficult for root vegetables which will have to be watered or certain leaf vegetables which will have to be sprinkled to lower the temperature for avoid the rise to seeds, and conversely in the North it will be necessary to protect the tomatoes, and sometimes shelter certain vegetables from the rain

to convince yourself of this, you shouldn't open a gardening book but a cookbook and take a look at regional recipes, In the North it's leek quiche, not tomato tian

therefore believing that any vegetable can be successful anywhere is illusory, sometimes it is necessary to help or adapt the cultivation technique, this year red onions planted late not too much seedling compared to last year, but not a large production due to lack of heat, a temporary box installed in the rows would have had a very positive effect, on the contrary a variety of shallots to be planted late, planted too early, has emerged well with temperatures too high for the start of spring was fine but as it did not last they did not develop any further, again the temporary chest would have been of some help
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 30/08/21, 22:07

Moindreffor wrote:.... this year red onions planted late not too much seedling compared to last year, but not a big production due to lack of heat, ...

I think that what is decisive in the case of onions is the number of days of growth knowing that the bulbs are "controlled" by the length of the days ...

An onion that does not rise planted in March will have 4 months of growth, compared to one planted in mid-May, which will only have 2,5!

Even if indeed, the "sum of temperatures" will also play a role.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 31/08/21, 19:43

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:.... this year red onions planted late not too much seedling compared to last year, but not a big production due to lack of heat, ...

I think that what is decisive in the case of onions is the number of days of growth knowing that the bulbs are "controlled" by the length of the days ...

An onion that does not rise planted in March will have 4 months of growth, compared to one planted in mid-May, which will only have 2,5!

Even if indeed, the "sum of temperatures" will also play a role.

I think it is more obvious for reds than for yellows, as much a yellow will vernalize with low temperatures as a red will vernalize more easily, and therefore it is this lack of heat, even a risk of descent quite strong in March April which may be too damaging for the reds and it will pass for the yellows, after to ensure there are the whites but they do not keep

therefore for the reds of the regions, more "softer" will be favorable Brittany is a good example, favorable thermal amplitude
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 31/08/21, 22:36

Yes, reds are generally more sensitive [except for the whole range of red "short-day" hybrids, which overwinter and get bigger in spring!].
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 01/09/21, 10:45

The size of the bulb planted also matters for vernalization, right?
If the bulb is "ready to" or "begins to" germinate, the risk of vernalization will be higher than a bulb still "asleep" since it will take more time for the latter to make its 5-6 leaves.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/09/21, 10:53

I am not sure about onions from small bulbs. Normally, it is the vegetative stage that plays (which is characterized by the number of leaves) and the onion is particularly sensitive towards the 8 leaf stage ...

I am also not sure whether the size of the bulbils affects the speed of emergence.

On the other hand, I have a vague memory of having read that large bulbils (more than 27 mm of memory) are more sensitive !!!! So, wherever possible, choose the smallest! In reality and in practice, we have little choice !!!! In a store as on the net, we generally offer only one caliber ...
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 01/09/21, 14:15

Thank you for the clarification!
I will be careful in 2022 to make my lines according to the size of the bulb (I often put a hundred, so not too difficult to sort) and it will be easier to see those who "vernalize" (if there is vernalization ...)
0 x