The vegetable garden without getting tired

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: The vegetable garden without getting tired

by stephgouv » 23/04/21, 08:21

Peas are good for transplanting.
20210422_203926.jpg
Peas

On the leek side, it grows well!
20210422_204042.jpg
leeks

Onions, however, have a harder time ...
20210422_204025.jpg
Onions

Ditto for the other seedlings (especially beets on the right).
20210422_204110.jpg
Other seedlings

For the next sowing, I will eat soil with the universal potting soil that I use, because it dries very quickly and I think the problem is there.
1 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 23/04/21, 09:17

I don't remember, why are you sowing your peas in a bucket? I did it to bypass slugs and larvae, is it the same for you? Sowing onions: I made two inconclusive attempts with white onions, so this year again it's planting bulbs, new attempts for 2022. I never give up, but each season has these challenges, and the 2022 battle is called "radish, peas, cabbage" : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 23/04/21, 09:32

If that can reassure you: my onion seedlings are temperamental too. The seeds of alliaceae seem to me to have a very limited "lifespan" (especially chives - 1 year! - and onions - I have "finished" several bags, all still largely within the dates marked above, with between none and few. lifting!).

It may not be just that, but it plays ...
1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 23/04/21, 10:00

Doris wrote:I don't remember, why are you sowing your peas in a bucket? I did it to bypass slugs and larvae, is it the same for you?

Yes that's it. I had to sow 3x last year to have a little something.
At first I thought it was gray slugs emptying the peas. Subsequently I understood that it was weevils.
I put in "Didier ON" mode and to get around the problem, I sowed in buckets.
For market gardeners, the sale of pea plants in pots would make a "juicy" market, right?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 23/04/21, 10:43

Did67 wrote:If that can reassure you: my onion seedlings are temperamental too. The seeds of alliaceae seem to me to have a very limited "lifespan" (especially chives - 1 year! - and onions - I have "finished" several bags, all still largely within the dates marked above, with between none and few. lifting!).

It may not be just that, but it plays ...

At home also the sowing of onions is a failure for this year, but I sowed at least 2 years in a row white onions from the same bag with normal sowing success, and my seedlings from last year in yellow and red have been correct for the yellows very mixed for the reds, not yet tried the reds this year, but here I am on an attempt to sow in July to harvest bulbils, my personal yellow bulbils are pointing and they look like they are '' be present enough to call, my few red bulbils have had a much earlier emergence of dormancy and therefore they have emerged for a long time, I fear a vernalization and a rise to seeds, but no big deal I will harvest seed : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 23/04/21, 11:08

Moindreffor wrote:... my few red bulbils have had a much earlier emergence of dormancy and therefore they have emerged for a long time, I fear vernalization and a rise to seeds, but no big deal I will harvest seed : Mrgreen:

Yes, that's kind of the rule - it's their genetic heritage ...

With, indeed, the risk of seeing them rise ...

It's a very interesting "experience" ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 23/04/21, 11:23

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:... my few red bulbils have had a much earlier emergence of dormancy and therefore they have emerged for a long time, I fear vernalization and a rise to seeds, but no big deal I will harvest seed : Mrgreen:

Yes, that's kind of the rule - it's their genetic heritage ...

With, indeed, the risk of seeing them rise ...

It's a very interesting "experience" ...

in fact I did not plant them directly in the vegetable garden, well after memory it must be 9 or 10 bulbils, so since they were already well germinated, at least 2 cm, I planted them in pots, 3 by 3 , so 3 buckets and I left the buckets in the light in the garden shed, where the temperature drops less than outside, they stayed there for a while, then I transplanted the buckets to the vegetable garden, so they took a little cold after in the vegetable garden with the cold episode of April

So this year, I have personal bulbils of white, yellow and red onions all risen, 3 rows for the yellows, about ten reds and whites
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 27/04/21, 09:03

This Sunday, there was transplanting in the air!
I transplanted 116 pea seedlings.
20210425_173215.jpg
Transplanting peas

Considering the ease, I wonder if I will not do the same for the beans ...
It's crazy how leeks have grown in 3 days!
20210425_213215.jpg
leeks

On the other hand, Gotte Dorée lettuce is not easy ...
20210425_213148.jpg
Lettuce Gotte Dorée

The next weekend (Labor Day), I will push laziness to its maximum: the laying of pot on the ground then cover with 25cm of hay.
I will also do the first repotting (cabbage).
I also started filming my vegetable gardening activities. I know that a lot of people already do it, but I too want to show my way of cultivating and especially to show people that it is possible given my beginner level (2nd year).
It will perhaps also "sow" ideas in the heads of people living in my region in Belgium or perhaps others as well ...
https://youtu.be/nYRVA0bd7Bo
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/04/21, 09:36

I see your very wet buckets. Be careful not to abuse watering: the temptation of the fearful gardener is to do "rice cultivation" (I've been trying to dissuade my wife for years, but it's stronger than her - it must bathe! The fear that it lacks water).

Never forget that a seed also needs air to germinate (well oxygen, therefore air). And that in saturated soil, air is scarce.

And note that in a soil judged to be "dry", the seeds still germinate.

Even if, of course, the cups dry out very quickly, once the seedling has emerged, it dries up and dies quickly! The catch at this point: water dry cups - and the water just circles the dry growing medium, bead up and run off. Soaking is necessary once the substrate has dried out!
1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 27/04/21, 10:02

I only water from above until the seedlings come out and then from below.
If you notice, my retention tank is empty and dry so there is not too much, so I will lean + towards the rising humidity.
I will do new seedlings and leave the tray outside to compare ... it may already be too hot in my veranda for the sowing of lettuce ...
0 x