The vegetable garden without getting tired

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The vegetable garden without getting tired

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/07/20, 00:21

Did67 wrote:There is no doubt that it will pass the winter.

Simply if you want to eat it, you have to harvest it at some point. And once the leaves and stems have "rotted" you're going to have a hard time finding a head of garlic ... that's why I think it's best to harvest, eat and replant "just what you want. 'it is necessary"...

It would also be interesting to see, depending on the variety, if, in your case, none of them vernalize and "rise" ... It is the very delicate question of the stage at which the seedling becomes sensitive ... Planted too early (and spontaneously emerged too early), it risks reaching a development sufficient to become sensitive, "catch" the last cold, and "rise" ... And that without doubt, "sometimes, yes; sometimes, no!". Varieties, weather, all of this will play out ... At my place, all the "Lautrec roses" are "mounted". And none in two other varieties ...

In its terroir, "Planting garlic.

It is in the heart of winter, during the month of December, when it is so good to stay by the fireside that our garlic is prepared and planted. "

At home, in a harsher climate, I planted at the end of October from memory. I thought that suddenly, it would develop a little but not too much ... Failed! Finally, missed: this is what happened. But he was a priori sensitive anyway.

Since I have regrowth and that it is a perennial I tell myself that it should do it effectively but with what result to taste?
I have found nowhere trace of this process.
All I know is that the one I used in the spring which happens to be the result of last year's regrowth was delicious but quite sweet ... eaten fresh I specify.
To follow on this precise point of taste because I do not know to what extent "traditional drying" influences the taste.

So precisely to find it I purposely had an area fairly easily circumscribed in the vegetable patch.
And in the hay it will be a breeze to dig it up which was not at all the case in earth where it was quite difficult without the stem.
But you're right, I'm going to place markers there in order to clearly define the picking area.

On the other hand, I am not sure I understand what you mean by "going up".
Is it ....
Suddenly leaving it in the ground means planting it in bulk in August, 3 months earlier than usual, therefore seeing it come out earlier and find itself too developed at the height of winter, unlike a development normal which does not come out until the end of winter in large and .... possibly freeze? or is it something else?
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 14/07/20, 05:52

I tore off 2 feet yesterday.
They are not very big, but the smell is quite strong.
They will dry and then finish in a braid.
The others will be uprooted soon too, but I plan to leave 1 or 2 feet in place and let it bloom.
20200713_175827.jpg
Garlic starts to rise

20200713_180810.jpg
Small harvest
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 14/07/20, 07:40

I forgot to specify the variety: Flavor (Spring garlic)
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 14/07/20, 08:53

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:I am a pretty bad example since, like last year, I am not going to get tired of harvesting or storing potatoes and I will let them keep quietly under the hay in the cool, air and humidity.
Nothing like a second test to, perhaps, validate the first and so on.

And since garlic is a perennial and everything that I had forgotten in the ground has grown back ... like potatoes finally.
I don't see why I would bother picking it up and storing it there too.
It will remain where it is: ie under the hay.
And we'll see what happens over the months.

Instead of stephgouv I would hesitate to do that, even if laziness is tempting, because of the voles. There is a great risk of not finding potatoes, and even for garlic I would not put my hand in the fire. Even if some sites say, that he likes onion, but that he hates garlic. With me he has eaten everything. And in winter, when there is not much to eat in nature ...
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 14/07/20, 09:57

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Is it ....
Suddenly leaving it in the ground means planting it in bulk in August, 3 months earlier than usual, therefore seeing it come out earlier and find itself too developed at the height of winter, unlike a development normal which does not come out until the end of winter in large and .... possibly freeze? or is it something else?

Indeed, I fear that it will "come out" earlier than if it is planted in December.

Consequently, the seedlings run the risk of being too developed and becoming sensitive to "vernalisation" (the effect of the cold which induces flowering).

During the development in spring, I fear, at home, that what I observed, the "rise" of this garlic, will not happen even more. In this case, it is not seeds, but small bulbils which form at the end of the stems. That's what I call "upstream".

At home, 100% of the "Rose de Lautrec" is "mounted".

0% of the two other autumn varieties: Messidrome and Therador.

Everything was planted on the same day (October 25), in the same place (same "plot").

But if you harvest very young, in "green" (which is one of the forms of consumption of garlic), this will not have time to happen! The problem only becomes a problem when you want to get bigger, fuller buds with bigger pods (because it's boring to peel) for storage and winter consumption (without having to go out).

Once again, there is no “ONE” method. You have to start from what you want (and therefore set your goals). At home, it's producing conservation garlic stored in my garage. The most possible. So this "run" annoys me ...
Last edited by Did67 the 14 / 07 / 20, 09: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/07/20, 09:59

stephgouv wrote:I tore off 2 feet yesterday.
They are not very big, but the smell is quite strong.
They will dry and then finish in a braid.
The others will be uprooted soon too, but I plan to leave 1 or 2 feet in place and allow it to bloom.20200713_175827.jpg
20200713_180810.jpg

The one on the right, which makes a "loop", is typical of the "upstream" (it is the beginning there). From now on, that garlic will no longer grow. The energy goes into the formation of bulbils at the end of the loop ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/07/20, 10:00

Doris wrote:
Instead of stephgouv I would hesitate to do that, even if laziness is tempting, because of the voles. There is a great risk of not finding potatoes, and even for garlic I would not put my hand in the fire. Even if some sites say, that he likes onion, but that he hates garlic. With me he has eaten everything. And in winter, when there is not much to eat in nature ...

I confirm for the onion.

For garlic, I never left any. But there were "forgotten heads". They were not all eaten, since I had regrowth in a well infested area ... Presumption that they do not like too much!
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 14/07/20, 11:07

This will be an opportunity for me to test the seedling of bulbils (in a bucket then transplanting into the open ground at the end of winter, is that right?).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/07/20, 11:12

It's a two-year process !!!

The Canadians made a good record:

https://www.mapaq.gouv.qc.ca/fr/Regions ... illes.aspx
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/07/20, 11:25

Did67 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Is it ....

Indeed, I fear that it will "come out" earlier than if it is planted in December.

Consequently, the seedlings run the risk of being too developed and becoming sensitive to "vernalisation" (the effect of the cold which induces flowering).

During the development in spring, I fear, at home, that what I observed, the "rise" of this garlic, will not happen even more. In this case, it is not seeds, but small bulbils which form at the end of the stems. That's what I call "upstream".

At home, 100% of the "Rose de Lautrec" is "mounted".

0% of the two other autumn varieties: Messidrome and Therador.

Everything was planted on the same day (October 25), in the same place (same "plot").

But if you harvest very young, in "green" (which is one of the forms of consumption of garlic), this will not have time to happen! The problem only becomes a problem when you want to get bigger, fuller buds with bigger pods (because it's boring to peel) for storage and winter consumption (without having to go out).

Once again, there is no “ONE” method. You have to start from what you want (and therefore set your goals). At home, it's producing conservation garlic stored in my garage. The most possible. So this "run" annoys me ...

Ah ok got it.
The size of the head is not a no concern criterion.
It's the taste that counts
And this is what will be discovered during the harvest of this garlic which will remain on site
0 x