The vegetable garden without getting tired

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The vegetable garden without getting tired

by Moindreffor » 24/02/20, 13:17

stephgouv wrote:Thank you for the info.
My seedlings are in a veranda which has a temperature of around 10-15 ° c in winter and goes up to 30 ° c as soon as there is a ray of sunshine. So not easy to manage when I'm not at home during the day ...

30 ° C is too much, in these cases it is better to put it outside during the day if it does not freeze, under a shelter, a transparent plastic case for example, you come home in the evening
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 24/02/20, 13:21

Moindreffor wrote:it is necessary to put potting soil up to the top of the tank and especially not to let the potting soil dry, if your tank is a good ten cm high it should not dry too quickly after you can spray by letting the water take the room temperature when filling the sprayer always from the previous day

Yes, that's what I already do and I always water at night. I sow in small pots (about 4x4x8cm) everything that is quantifiable in seeds.
The other seeds are sown in recovery tubs (approximately 20x30x7cm).

I will publish photos soon.
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 24/02/20, 13:27

Moindreffor wrote:30 ° C is too much, in these cases it is better to put it outside during the day if it does not freeze, under a shelter, a transparent plastic case for example, you come home in the evening

I also have outside a mini growing greenhouse on feet (about 120x70x30cm). I think I will use it to store my seedling pots there until everything rises and then use it as last year for radishes and some spices.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/02/20, 14:03

stephgouv wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:it is necessary to put potting soil up to the top of the tank and especially not to let the potting soil dry, if your tank is a good ten cm high it should not dry too quickly after you can spray by letting the water take the room temperature when filling the sprayer always from the previous day

Yes, that's what I already do and I always water at night. I sow in small pots (about 4x4x8cm) everything that is quantifiable in seeds.
The other seeds are sown in recovery tubs (approximately 20x30x7cm).

I will publish photos soon.

yes but you say I put potting soil up to 2 cm, I sowed and then added 0.5 cm of potting soil, almost have to fill up to the top sow and then it must be up to the top
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 06/03/20, 08:08

This Saturday, I will return to action: plant onion bubbles and start the first sowing.
Regarding sowing, how do you prepare your soil? Because mine has lost its moisture despite the bag has been carefully closed, but how to do it right?
- As I did before: mixture of potting soil and a little warm water in a basin then sown in a pot?
ou
- fill the pots with the soil as it is, sow, then moisten the top with a spray then put to "pateauger" a few minutes in a basin of lukewarm water?
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 06/03/20, 09:47

stephgouv wrote:This Saturday, I will return to action: plant onion bubbles and start the first sowing.
Regarding sowing, how do you prepare your soil? Because mine has lost its moisture despite the bag has been carefully closed, but how to do it right?
- As I did before: mixture of potting soil and a little warm water in a basin then sown in a pot?
ou
- fill the pots with the soil as it is, sow, then moisten the top with a spray then put to "pateauger" a few minutes in a basin of lukewarm water?

Personally:

-I prepare pots or terrines with unsifted potting soil over 3/4 of their depth
- I water with a head watering can (which is an old bottle with a cap pierced with small holes :D)
-I put my seeds
-I cover with a layer of sieved potting soil with an old Chinese
- I slightly re-water the small dry layer
My cups then soak in a bottom of water because they are stored in a waterproof transparent case. It keeps the soil moist to the max without watering it and therefore disturbing the seeds. It seems to work very well, peppers, peppers and tomatoes are already out;)
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 06/03/20, 10:08

When my potting soil is dry, I mix with a little water, and then I just keep the surface moist I do not let it wade, in addition if you put in transparent boxes with lid, you have almost nothing to do , it stays wet
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 06/03/20, 10:10

That's what I do, but being in Corsica, the box in question easily rises to 30 degrees at noon, even when airy. It does not seem to interfere with the seedlings that I have launched very greedy in heat (peppers, eggplant, tomatoes).

With this temperature, I have a lot of evaporation, so I prefer to leave a lot of water at the bottom :)
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 06/03/20, 10:44

Thanks for your advice.
I'm going to take a look at what I have in closable containers and try it out.
My seedlings will be stored in a fully glazed veranda whose t ° C will vary between 10 ° c at night and 20-25 ° C during the day (at least for now, because in the height of summer it has already risen to 50 ° C ...).
I am also waiting to improve my wooden greenhouse to place the plants there in a few weeks.
My biggest difficulty in the few years (about 5-6 years) when I sow seeds, it is the management of t ° C and watering.
But I feel that this year will be different thanks to your precious advice!
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 06/03/20, 10:51

stephgouv wrote:Thanks for your advice.
I'm going to take a look at what I have in closable containers and try it out.
My seedlings will be stored in a fully glazed veranda whose t ° C will vary between 10 ° c at night and 20-25 ° C during the day (at least for now, because in the height of summer it has already risen to 50 ° C ...).
I am also waiting to improve my wooden greenhouse to place the plants there in a few weeks.
My biggest difficulty in the few years (about 5-6 years) when I sow seeds, it is the management of t ° C and watering.
But I feel that this year will be different thanks to your precious advice!

It seems to me that Damien Dekarz talks in a video about his crops that remained in the greenhouse during the summer, without watering, and although the temperatures rose to 50 degrees there was no problem (on tomatoes and zucchini memory). Can it be different for young plants? But I believe that as long as it is very humid, there is frankly no problem ...

You can work with your veranda until May, and then go on frames / transparent tarpaulin / transparent boxes / greenhouse from there otherwise.
0 x