The vegetable garden of the tribes: lazing with the family

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

The vegetable garden of the tribes: lazing with the family

by Rajqawee » 11/06/20, 09:28

After discussions on the thread of the lazy vegetable garden, it appeared that quite a few gardeners are in a situation of gardening in groups, with families, or other tribes.

Rather than periodically invading the thread - already well supplied! - of the lazy vegetable garden, I propose to create a separate subject.

The idea is to discuss solutions, always in the philosophy of the lazy, which allow sharing with young and old the vegetable garden. It can also be the reception of the public for educational gardens.

We can talk, in bulk:

-crops adapted to certain audiences;
-operations, methods, procedures adapted to certain audiences;
-the layout according to the public

The idea is of course exchange and open questions.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The vegetable garden of the tribes: lazing with the family

by phil53 » 11/06/20, 11:24

For the 3rd year, I am in possession of a family garden plot in my municipality. The first year is white because I only had my land at the end of July. During the winter I brought all that I could recover of organic matter so the second year I cultivated. I exchanged with others without advertising, some were doubtful but I had no opposition.
The results of this first year of production being still quite good compared to the neighbors some wanted to try this year.
What I notice:
Despite explanations that are very "cheap" on the thickness of the hay. They buy it, so it's expensive in a peri-urban area. Yet in my corner there is plenty of grass (more or less hay) to collect for free.
Few integrate the fact that we import energy by putting hay, they want to continue making green manure. It's almost a magic word. Green manure can be of interest but at the beginning it is especially organic matter in mass which it is necessary to import on our plots all the same rather poor.
Few accept the idea of ​​not shivering or digging before putting the hay, suddenly they put it late and it loses its effectiveness.

The method is great and yet their results are not great but there is a trend and I think some will evolve.
I fight to keep inorganic waste out of the weed pile as they say.
I spread them on my plot to show that it is vegetable food that they throw away.
I try to convince them not to use Bordeaux broth anymore. Some use and abuse it.

I am still quite happy because of all the communal gardens that I monitor, ours has the smallest pile of waste. I remove about 1 miscellaneous plastic shopping bag per quarter. The message slowly enters the heads.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/06/20, 12:39

phil53 wrote:For the 3rd year, I am in possession of a family garden plot in my municipality. The first year is white because I only had my land at the end of July. During the winter I brought all that I could recover of organic matter so the second year I cultivated. I exchanged with others without advertising, some were doubtful but I had no opposition.
The results of this first year of production being still quite good compared to the neighbors some wanted to try this year.
What I notice:
Despite explanations that are very "cheap" on the thickness of the hay. They buy it, so it's expensive in a peri-urban area. Yet in my corner there is plenty of grass (more or less hay) to collect for free.
Few integrate the fact that we import energy by putting hay, they want to continue making green manure. It's almost a magic word. Green manure can be of interest but at the beginning it is especially organic matter in mass which it is necessary to import on our plots all the same rather poor.
Few accept the idea of ​​not shivering or digging before putting the hay, suddenly they put it late and it loses its effectiveness.

The method is great and yet their results are not great but there is a trend and I think some will evolve.
I fight to keep inorganic waste out of the weed pile as they say.
I spread them on my plot to show that it is vegetable food that they throw away.
I try to convince them not to use Bordeaux broth anymore. Some use and abuse it.

I am still quite happy because of all the communal gardens that I monitor, ours has the smallest pile of waste. I remove about 1 miscellaneous plastic shopping bag per quarter. The message slowly enters the heads.

and this is only your second year of production, so there is hope
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 11/06/20, 12:43

The vegetable garden of the tribes, it tells me something :)

So here is my situation and my tribe: I started my vegetable garden a few years ago, very small (30m2), in bare soil. I was never enthusiastic, turning over the ground, digging, it was not my thing, but it was my husband who did it, because he learned like that. 2018, a big stroke of illness for my husband, it took more than a year to recover. Myself alone to maintain 8000 m2, I let the vegetable garden live its life and surprise: I had as much harvest as in other years. The revelation: nature doesn't need me. I went through a few stages before stumbling upon the lazy vegetable garden, which was the second big revelation: even physically diminished, or having a busy or tired job, you can have good vegetables. The vegetable garden has grown, but it will support a change in Korea after the season. Cultivation boards will be separated by slightly wider aisles which are more practical for moving around. There will be a little more corner too to land. I have raised growing places, but naturally, because for years we have stored our dead leaves there etc.

My vegetable garden slides gently from a place of production to a place of life, I am there with my husband, with my friends; nature has deprived me of children, but in the family there are little ones who are dear to me, one of the elevated places is becoming a small jungle with vegetables, ferns and other vegetation, which is just mastered. In the center a place to land, discover and excavated.

At the end of the land I have wasteland, which will become in the coming months a patch of red fruit, and where there will be asparagus too. Another place of life.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 11/06/20, 13:26

Doris wrote:The vegetable garden of the tribes, it tells me something :)
My vegetable garden slides gently from a place of production to a place of life, I am there with my husband, with my friends; nature has deprived me of children, but in the family there are little ones who are dear to me, one of the elevated places is becoming a small jungle with vegetables, ferns and other vegetation, which is just mastered. In the center a place to land, discover and excavated.

At the end of the land I have wasteland, which will become in the coming months a patch of red fruit, and where there will be asparagus too. Another place of life.

In any case, conventional vegetable gardens are all except places that invite you to come. It's like a house where everything is perfect: personally I feel uncomfortable there because I'm afraid of disturbing or dirtying something!

So yes, to invite people, the "bazaar vegetable gardens" or "wasteland", one is immediately more comfortable. Even children who are a little too urban who are a little afraid of herbs and critters, in the end they quickly understand that it is a living space, so where there is a certain freedom.

It is also true for guests, they move very freely.

Another interesting thing, which I would see this summer: I think it is easier to find a replacement for watering, if necessary, in an "open" vegetable garden. We are less afraid of doing wrong.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/06/20, 15:15

Rajqawee wrote:So yes, to invite people, the "bazaar vegetable gardens" or "wasteland vegetable garden"

natural vegetable gardening, does not mean for me the need to make a big mess
the example of the last video shows it well, this way of cultivating while letting the spontaneous ones develop corresponds well to a necessity, the slope
I do not see the point of mixing everything endlessly, that we associate such a vegetable with another why not, but a complete mess, seems counterproductive, you still have to think about the shadows, the competition, at the heights of cultures ...

it is a little fashionable to make a vegetable garden that does not really look like it, the "wasteland" vegetable garden requires a lot of surface, so I prefer that it be noted as a possibility for those who can and not as "the" model

in my mini vegetable garden there is a bit of wasteland, but it is not the norm, the fallow land is temporarily mounted to seed of a salad or other.
0 x
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 11/06/20, 16:43

Moindreffor wrote:
Rajqawee wrote:So yes, to invite people, the "bazaar vegetable gardens" or "wasteland vegetable garden"

natural vegetable gardening, does not mean for me the need to make a big mess
the example of the last video shows it well, this way of cultivating while letting the spontaneous ones develop corresponds well to a necessity, the slope
I do not see the point of mixing everything endlessly, that we associate such a vegetable with another why not, but a complete mess, seems counterproductive, you still have to think about the shadows, the competition, at the heights of cultures ...

it is a little fashionable to make a vegetable garden that does not really look like it, the "wasteland" vegetable garden requires a lot of surface, so I prefer that it be noted as a possibility for those who can and not as "the" model

in my mini vegetable garden there is a bit of wasteland, but it is not the norm, the fallow land is temporarily mounted to seed of a salad or other.

Sorry, it wasn't clear. I especially wanted to oppose the vision "nickel vegetable garden, alleys included". Vegetable garden with 0 life, paths and furrows without the slightest blade of grass!

Me neither it is not the jungle. Besides, you do well to talk about it: the jungle, the mixed crops everywhere, it is absolutely not practical for the "foreigners" of the vegetable garden in question. Nor for non-connoisseurs.

Typically, a child, it would be a disaster to tell him "good bin mop in the vegetable garden at random and harvest the tomatoes" and then, a quarter of an hour later "ah but you forgot that foot in the western corner .. .and this one stashed behind a squash that we make climb ". It is much easier for the "non-creator" of the vegetable garden when the crops are in the same place, possibly in two places. In any case, well identified.

Ditto, concerning watering: I noticed that in a vegetable garden, it is not so easy to manage the movement of the pipes, even for an adult. We forget, we pull the pipe to move forward, and we "smash" a foot that was on the path .... even if the borders / boxes limit the effect, it still does from time to time.
To overcome this, as I went along, I just planted stakes at the classic "friction angles" of the pipe. This way the pipe necessarily bypasses crops cleanly. And so I can tell my kids to water (as long as it is fun) without them worrying about the hose in their wake.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 11/06/20, 17:11

Rajqawee wrote:[

Me neither it is not the jungle. Besides, you do well to talk about it: the jungle, the mixed crops everywhere, it is absolutely not practical for the "foreigners" of the vegetable garden in question. Nor for non-connoisseurs.

I should have put the word jungle in my post in quotes, it's not the bazaar anyway. I take advantage in this corner that I call the jungle of many things. The place is elevated, because for years we have been storing organic matter there, and over time it has created a bump. All around there is natural vegetation, among other honeysuckle, just controlled, so as not to let it dominate. Ferns also grow, always around. It has become giant, since organic matter benefits everyone. And my crops take advantage of the shade of this spontaneous vegetation, which I leave, but I intervene, so as not to let it take over. Crops are not buried or lost, but sometimes you have to remove a little vegetation to find out what is behind. The children liked it.
As for the vegetable garden proper, this year many things are very mixed, but it was not my intention at the start. With containment, I didn't always get the seeds when I wanted them. I also tested many things, since I had the time, and I didn't think I would succeed. Except almost everything worked, so I found myself planting where there was room. But it's not great, I know it, and it will be changed after the summer, in favor of boards with maxi two or three types of vegetables, between the boards of the foot rails to circulate.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/06/20, 17:36

here we agree,
we are more sure of the english vegetable garden than the french vegetable garden if we take as reference the gardens : Mrgreen:
before arriving here, I had watched some permaculture videos and I had fled, in front of these real jungle where everything is mixed for no reason or we control nothing to make it more natural ... I make vegetable gardens to put in my plate not to do the booze, or to avoid psychoanalysis if I mix certain cultures, it's good for interest and that does not prevent having a relaxing place

just a note, my vegetable garden lacks flower, I will have to think about that for next year
0 x
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 11/06/20, 18:27

Moindreffor wrote:here we agree,

just a note, my vegetable garden lacks flower, I will have to think about that for next year

Good note, my 7 year old daughter made me think about it this spring.

Especially since flowers can fill spaces that are "not vegetable" for example. I installed flower beds on the other side of the plot fence. It's pretty and requires little maintenance (depending on the flowers). And in the end, everyone likes it :)
0 x