The vegetable garden of the tribes: lazing with the family

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The vegetable garden of the tribes: lazing with the family

by Doris » 11/06/20, 18:46

Unlike the other years in 2020, I don't have many flowers in the vegetable patch. I tried to sow it, but each time it got an overwhelming heat stroke, it didn't work well. I think that next year I will do some sowing of flowers in pots, just like for vegetables.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 12/06/20, 09:28

Doris wrote:Unlike the other years in 2020, I don't have many flowers in the vegetable patch. I tried to sow it, but each time it got an overwhelming heat stroke, it didn't work well. I think that next year I will do some sowing of flowers in pots, just like for vegetables.

Same. The only flowers I have in the garden are flowers that I collected from a market gardener (who ceased his activity and therefore sold off lots of products.

What I have sown myself has not produced pretty things. next year i would do it differently.
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 13/06/20, 13:14

I was wondering, I'm vaguely thinking about my fall vegetable garden (I am leaving for 3 weeks from mid July to early August, so there I stopped everything semi, but I will restart things when I come back), and I would like to try carrots.
Do you have any advice for integrating young children into a semi carrot? Already, I did not succeed alone :D
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/06/20, 13:32

Better to integrate radish seeds into a carrot seedling, I do not believe that the association of children / carrots is possible, the genetic difference being too important (but this is only my opinion [as would say Did]) ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/06/20, 13:55

Rajqawee wrote:I was wondering, I'm vaguely thinking about my fall vegetable garden (I am leaving for 3 weeks from mid July to early August, so there I stopped everything semi, but I will restart things when I come back), and I would like to try carrots.
Do you have any advice for integrating young children into a semi carrot? Already, I did not succeed alone :D

for the carrot I will go through a test of pre-germinated seeds, the carrots is really not TOP for children, because it works difficult and it takes a long time to rise
radishes yes it's great on the other hand, beware children are not in the same time frame as adults, an adult is projected over several years, a young child is over a few days, max a week, the more it grows more this period is getting longer

this is why it is easy to get a young child to school until the end because for him the holidays are far away, even if it is next week for us, and on the other hand a teenager, will hang out feet from early June : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
MadameOurs
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by MadameOurs » 13/06/20, 21:02

The subject speaks to me, and I benefit from your reflections without always having time to participate.
Here the vegetable patch is in the garden of our house not yet finished. Earth fill on old meadow, lots of clay (children make sculptures with)

Thirty square meters is a lot for a second year but I have a darling who absolutely wants tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes. So he sowed thirty feet and 5 different varieties.

Two children aged six and two. I realize that the huge tote board is not suited to their curiosity. What to do with rows is practical to cover if robbery attacks for example. That the permaculture bazaar looks nice in the videos but not practical to use.

My constraints are actually time and practice. Between work and children it's not always easy to think about the vegetable patch. It has to go fast and it has to be effective. The children have a particular attention, very concentrated sometimes and very quickly bored another time. I usually spend twice a day in the vegetable patch but rarely more than ten minutes.

I installed tomato stakes but did not have time to tie all the feet on it. They are therefore more or less creeping and I wonder if it would not be more effective not to tutor at all. But with the weight of the fruit the branches break?

Following your comments on the other thread, next year I will make stones borders and areas around which children will be able to move easily. And I stop the videos of rural neo boho and I regroup the cultures more or less.

Last year the strong constraint was the heat wave. This year it's raining and I saw a little mildew
Knowing that it will be ultra hot (near Montpellier) in a few days, I do not know if it is better to do nothing or try a spray of garlic for example.

Darling fan of flowers sowed them too, and I didn't really know what to do with them (when it's not eaten, it doesn't speak to me : Mrgreen: ) In the middle of the bazaar they did not push too much, they felt better around the fence of the house.

The children loved the potato harvest (before time but the neighbors' dog jumped in the area, crushed the plants which collapsed in the tomatoes which are suddenly the ones that have some spots of mildew)

Vegetation speed production efficiency and pride of children in short : Cheesy:
0 x
Today there is dessert.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/06/20, 21:48

MadameOurs wrote:The subject speaks to me, and I benefit from your reflections without always having time to participate.
Here the vegetable patch is in the garden of our house not yet finished. Earth fill on old meadow, lots of clay (children make sculptures with)

Thirty square meters is a lot for a second year but I have a darling who absolutely wants tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes. So he sowed thirty feet and 5 different varieties.

Two children aged six and two. I realize that the huge tote board is not suited to their curiosity. What to do with rows is practical to cover if robbery attacks for example. That the permaculture bazaar looks nice in the videos but not practical to use.

My constraints are actually time and practice. Between work and children it's not always easy to think about the vegetable patch. It has to go fast and it has to be effective. The children have a particular attention, very concentrated sometimes and very quickly bored another time. I usually spend twice a day in the vegetable patch but rarely more than ten minutes.

I installed tomato stakes but did not have time to tie all the feet on it. They are therefore more or less creeping and I wonder if it would not be more effective not to tutor at all. But with the weight of the fruit the branches break?

Following your comments on the other thread, next year I will make stones borders and areas around which children will be able to move easily. And I stop the videos of rural neo boho and I regroup the cultures more or less.

Last year the strong constraint was the heat wave. This year it's raining and I saw a little mildew
Knowing that it will be ultra hot (near Montpellier) in a few days, I do not know if it is better to do nothing or try a spray of garlic for example.

Darling fan of flowers sowed them too, and I didn't really know what to do with them (when it's not eaten, it doesn't speak to me : Mrgreen: ) In the middle of the bazaar they did not push too much, they felt better around the fence of the house.

The children loved the potato harvest (before time but the neighbors' dog jumped in the area, crushed the plants which collapsed in the tomatoes which are suddenly the ones that have some spots of mildew)

Vegetation speed production efficiency and pride of children in short : Cheesy:

in your case, you have to think simple, plant what works well, do not hesitate to border, pebbles I don't like it can hurt if you fall, in your situation and besides I will find myself a little in the even with my temporary frames, I would put boards on 2 heights, it may seem a lot but it physically forms a barrier children quickly understand

the planks hold the hay and everything you can put in it, be careful, planks don't mean making small bins, just that serves as a limit, we keep the size of the plot identical
0 x
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 14/06/20, 14:48

Of course it depends on your children. if they make clay with the soil of your land, I see many children like mine, so I don't think they are injured by stones. In any case not worse than usual;) You have to do with what you have. Besides, children can fully participate in the arrangement, making pebble borders, it is very accessible. But tinkering with planks is very good with the family too!

What is happening at my place (I am not saying that it is what to do, I just see what it produces with mine), is that the vegetable garden is a place of life.

I can be planting and the kids can orbit it playing with figurines. They stop when they want to ask a question, see what interests them, and leave when they want: that's what changes with "big" aisles. The vegetable garden is no longer really a reserved space, it is simply part of the garden. This is an example but it gives an idea.

Likewise, there are little tips for sitting down everywhere. Garden chairs, small stools, half-pallets. It's also a place to sit for the gardener, for the children to stay next to watch what Dad is doing, to chat with his spouse ... It also allows you to put things in evidence ( seedlings, sachets of seeds) without "fearing" that the children will not see them.

Personal opinion: the 10 minutes in the vegetable garden, for the gardener, it can do it, for a child, it's not great. Unless we immediately announce "I'm going to get a salad" "I can come with you?, In which case that's okay. But now I prefer to go to the vegetable garden and stay there even 2 hours, that's okay, basically, c 'is 2h in the garden. We can be vegetable for 20min, and the rest of the time we took advantage of being outside :)

Finally, for your tomatoes, it is never really too late, you can always re-wrap the stems around a string, being careful. If the string goes up it will be fine.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/06/20, 14:54

Rajqawee wrote:Of course it depends on your children. if they make clay with the soil of your land, I see many children like mine, so I don't think they are injured by stones. In any case not worse than usual;) You have to do with what you have. Besides, children can fully participate in the arrangement, making pebble borders, it is very accessible. But tinkering with planks is very good with the family too!

beware there are pebbles and pebbles, at my place we find flints, it's true, that we never specify enough : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 14/06/20, 15:00

Moindreffor wrote:
Rajqawee wrote:Of course it depends on your children. if they make clay with the soil of your land, I see many children like mine, so I don't think they are injured by stones. In any case not worse than usual;) You have to do with what you have. Besides, children can fully participate in the arrangement, making pebble borders, it is very accessible. But tinkering with planks is very good with the family too!

beware there are pebbles and pebbles, at my place we find flints, it's true, that we never specify enough : Mrgreen:

the ok :D

Well, granite, it stings too, but it's not dangerous at this point.
0 x