Garden pests

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Garden pests

by olivier75 » 03/06/17, 20:59

Harvest of pests.
Here is the harvest of the day, after 3 weeks without rain and watering last week, the rain brought them out, I only did 6,5m2 by weeding the vegetable garden of the house, which lacks mulch and is very overgrown, there is not really any damage.
image.jpeg
olive
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/06/17, 09:11

This shows that we do not have the same "systems" and that it is therefore difficult to generalize the "solutions".

I collect almost only two kinds (or subspecies?) Of slugs: the long red-orange, and another kind, darker red and more "round" ...

After a week, the crops are now falling. Last night, tired, I zapped (it had rained though!). Once that has dropped significantly, I will stop. The plants will be well developed and will no longer fear much, damage issue. There, it goes very quickly, with this extra rain! The warm floor. Explosive growth. Finally.
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 04/06/17, 15:09

The rain, at my place yesterday fell from 12 to 16 p.m., I went into the garden then to uproot some plants which I do not wish to see invading, and I only picked up 30 small whitish slugs, the first views since setting up of the vegetable patch in early February (I'm not saying there could have been others before), but missing salads, pierced radish leaves ...
Denis
0 x
jpg43
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpg43 » 04/06/17, 21:32

Hello, at my place under the mulch hay there are no or very few large slugs but a multitude of gray white slugs of barely 1cm and small black gray slugs of 3 or 4mm probably very young. If I do not spread the mulch to the cabbage plantation for example and without ferramol they can almost devour the plan overnight. Obviously they attack the terminal bud so no cabbage or tomato plants or even potatoes.

It is true that this vegetable garden is very recent created on a meadow grazed by horses for decades.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/06/17, 22:06

My vegetable garden is much younger, but alas, it's a situation that I experienced about 2 weeks ago ...

Now, it is rather the big "reds" ...

The notion of balance is not that simple! And our vegetable gardens, even "natural", are sharply "anthropized" spaces (shaped by man). So fragile ...

I think that at the end of winter, when plants are planted, there is a critical phase.

Besides, I'm going hunting, in a moment, with the headlamp ... That's what I found most effective ... A few evenings at the beginning, now, every other evening ... 15 or 20 mn ... The picking is decreasing. Fortunately, the plants have an explosive growth now so will soon be out of danger: on cabbages, salads, etc., the slugs will be content with the outer, damaged leaves, which are not part of the harvest anyway. So I leave that to the slugs, of which I maintain a "regulated" population in order to feed the auxiliaries, enemies of slugs, such as beetles; staphylins, etc ... If they have nothing to eat, they will waste away or disappear and it will be worse next time ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/06/17, 22:33

Last year, I did the same on my rows of onions, but I had to deal with a multitude of small gray slugs, as well as loaches and the fight was too uneven: despite my stubbornness, I have nothing left ...
This year, salads, beans are spared, only cabbages transplanted with bare roots have suffered attacks that I thought fatal, but it is possible that, ultimately, they are doing. : roll:
I think that the good strategy, as regards the latter would be to plant them in a clod when they are already well developed: this is what I intend to do in the future.
The beans have seen, for a number of them, their first true trimmed leaves and their growth stopped, but I am not at all sure that it is attributable to the slugs, it is something else, but what ... ???
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 04/06/17, 22:44

Back from the hunt: another twenty ...

What I also got is that you only get part of it. At the end I went back to where I had started: there was one again. Already last night, I thought I hadn't been paying attention. But no, they "come out" like that, each in turn ...

Little ones are fun. I had a lot on some cabbage. With a household glove, I crushed them. Too tedious to pick up. And very quickly, there were no others ...

The big reds, the harvest is at least halved, but there are still some ...
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 04/06/17, 23:22

ditto, quick tour of the vegetable patch: zero slug!

On the other hand, 2 large earthworms surprised, ON the hay! and who quickly returned to their hole.

probably some tiny loaches on salads, but I don't mind.

I especially inspected cabbage, broccoli, peppers, celery ... all this is almost intact. Even the carnations.

When I think that last year at such a time I was infested, especially the gray groupers, all the plants affected, every evening I was on the breach ...

But it is only the beginning of June, it has been dry for a very long time, do not cry victory too soon ... humidity helping, they can very quickly reappear! :)

It hasn't rained today, but the tomato leaves are damp, no doubt condensation ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/06/17, 08:32

Julienmos wrote:

But it is only the beginning of June, it has been dry for a very long time, do not cry victory too soon ... humidity helping, they can very quickly reappear! :)

It hasn't rained today, but the tomato leaves are damp, no doubt condensation ...

1) I rather think that there are "cycles". I have known years without having to hunt. Last year, I was annoyed in May-June (very humid and quite "cold" period). This year, with the exception of one or the other board, I fight almost everywhere against especially the big orange, long ... They may also come to me from the neighboring meadows, because I can say that 'they trace!

2) Tomato leaves emit water droplets at night. This is a normal phenomenon, called guttation. Perhaps they have "too much" and thus avoid an "overpressure" ???

View: http://www.labeilledefrance.com/index.p ... petit-jour
0 x
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by paysan.bio » 05/06/17, 09:12

Did67 wrote:
Julienmos wrote:

1) I rather think that there are "cycles". I have known years without having to hunt. Last year, I was annoyed in May-June (very humid and quite "cold" period). This year, with the exception of one or the other board, I fight almost everywhere against especially the big orange, long ... They may also come to me from the neighboring meadows, because I can say that 'they trace!

2) Tomato leaves emit water droplets at night. This is a normal phenomenon, called guttation. Perhaps they have "too much" and thus avoid an "overpressure" ???

View: http://www.labeilledefrance.com/index.p ... petit-jour

many leaves emit water droplets in the morning.
this is one of the reasons that make me evolve towards planting on plant cover. it's watering EASY
the main one being the presence of the rhizosphere of the chiendents in contact with the roots of the plants.

for the slugs, I had problems when I started this garden.
on the farm, I had a whole pack of hedgehogs under a pile of inextricable size waste 10 m in diameter.
they were well sheltered and I never had a problem.
so I did like Didier: pickup at different times but knowing that for one found there are 4 hidden.
I noticed that their favorite food is the ice queen. I put them everywhere and while they take care of the salads, they leave the rest alone ... except the plants which wilt at the plantation.
the solution came from the neighbor.
she bought runner ducks.
they love my garden because there is a large bathtub and desert hers to show up at 20 p.m. every night. they go around and come back early the next morning.
they are formidable, I did not come back from them.
0 x