The Jean method, no tillage or fertilizer in 1900

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The Jean method, no tillage or fertilizer in 1900

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 22/11/19, 19:39

There are days when one thinks to dream while discovering that a rather abundant literature was devoted to a Mr Jean, farmer of the beginning of the 1900 years in the Tarn and who did not practice the plowing and did not use fertilizer .

At a time when these questions seem to be innovative, it is amazing to look in the archives to discover that this technique has already been used.

I have not yet gathered all the documentation (because it's not easy we can imagine) around this subject but these two documents will give you the opportunity to know a little more about this precursor that was Mr Jeans.

I had never heard of him before rummaging through the agricultural journals of the time that led me to the report of Henri Charles Geoffroy.

Neither MSV, nor NLSD, nor TCS (but maybe I missed the info).

What is curious is that the brand Jean de Bru exists but at no time is there mention of the fact generator that seems to have been extremely commented at the time.

Have the lobbies of mechanization done everything to bury this practice?
It's possible.

Is his work and method still exploitable today?
Are they totally obsolete in relation to our contemporary evolution TCS or NLSD?

I am not a professional and can not say but we may have some answers someday.

Read the full articles

https://potagers.forumactif.com/t185-te ... n-1900#270

Extract

The only farming implement is the cultivator with flexible teeth. The plow has been absolutely removed for eight years and almost completely for thirteen years. The rust which covers some old Brabant under the shed proves it. Similarly, the rollers, breakers, harrows heavy or light, have become useless.

Mr. Jean explains that, having started using the chemical fertilizer routinely, at the dose of 130 kg of sodium nitrate and 300 kg of
superphosphate per hectare, in 1903. He was obliged to refrain from these applications of chemical fertilizers, even if modest, of the day
where he totally suppressed the plow to make farmer's passes every fortnight, because the vegetation
increased that the use of fertilizer has become a danger.

The 1ère page of the article of the Rural Engineering

the culture method jean page 1.jpg
the method culture jean page 1.jpg (379.35 KIO) Viewed 3335 times

The first page of the ANALYSIS OF THE BROCHURE: THE METHOD OF CULTURE JEAN by Count A. de PONCINS

no-till cultivation or fertilizer.jpg
cultivation without plowing nor fertilizer.jpg (67.6 Kio) Viewed 3335 times

Read the full articles

1 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Jean method, no tillage or fertilizer in 1900

by Janic » 22/11/19, 19:59

actually this tillage is very effective and effectively replaces the chemical weeding, moreover this dogging does not disrupt the aerobic layers. A little reproach was made to him, it is that this weeding leaving the sprouts germinated before uprooting them with the next scratching, risked exhausting the grounds. But that does not seem to have been confirmed in time.
In gardening this gives excellent results on heavy soils by heating them more quickly, this does not prevent a soil cover under certain conditions.
It seems that this means is starting to be used again in BIO.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 22/11/19, 21:13

nico239 wrote:There are days when one thinks to dream while discovering that a rather abundant literature was devoted to a Mr Jean, farmer of the beginning of the 1900 years in the Tarn and who did not practice the plowing and did not use fertilizer .

Thank you, I love you as you discover these books, or films on past periods of agriculture, we have already shared.

So in a century, an Internet user will unearth a work called "the vegetable garden of the lazy" with so much astonishment?

Let us hope that no ... that this is no longer a source of astonishment but that the "principles" (of course it is not a question of which those of Didier) have imposed themselves with as many variants as of the types of agriculture, to each are his, 1ha, 100ha or 1000ha cultivated in a sustainable, responsible and efficient way!
Amen!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 22/11/19, 22:12

What is surprising is that in this period of evolution we have not yet exhumed this type of work.

When you see how they sometimes take their heads with the weeds and all that comes out of it, my faith may be that looking at a method that seems very simple and non-herbicidal would help advance the schmilblick. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/11/19, 09:16

What is surprising is that in this period of evolution we have not yet exhumed this type of work.
As in any detective film, ask yourself: who benefits from this crime? : Cry:
I had advised a conventional gardener, but anxious to avoid all these industrial chemicals, to practice this Jean method in his garden. He got gigantic carrots (compared to his usual harvests) and he showed them to his neighbors who asked him which miracle fertilizer he had used: "no I just changed my way of working my garden"and none believed him, they just thought he wanted to keep this miracle product just for himself.
It is in human nature to act in this way as is evident for homeopathy, VG or asepsis in Semmelweiss's time. People do not like to change their habits and how to do it, but at what price! : Shock:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/11/19, 09:46

Hello,
You can clarify what his original system was, because it's not clear. I understand that he does not plow and that he uses a "cultivator".
Today a farmer is that Image
At the time it must have looked like thatImage

Without fertilizer, how did it fertilize?
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/11/19, 10:42

Hello,
You can clarify what his original system was, because it's not clear. I understand that he does not plow and that he uses a "cultivator".
Today a farmer is that
At the time it must have looked like that
It's neither one nor the other. Imagine 10 / 20 manure crocodile next to each other and staggered, spring-loaded. [*] So it is very light, requires little traction energy? So no big tractors, or even a horse traction, the old.
No need, the ground life RESPECTED is enough for itself, especially when they are not huge deforested fields, thus no longer protecting the flora and fauna that participate in this biological life without artificial fertilizers. This method does not eliminate intermediate crops, so Did soil coverings, it is only a question of the superficial soil working to replace plow plows, cultivators and other heavy machinery.
This is why the article, well - intentioned, on vegans and breeding is lame, by its mixtures and confusions, based on the current conventional model.
[*] easy to tinker itself!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 23/11/19, 11:26

izentrop wrote:Hello,

If you go to the Geffroy-Poncins document, on the last page you have the farmer Jean : Mrgreen:

0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/11/19, 17:21

If you go to the Geffroy-Poncins document, on the last page you have the farmer Jean : Mrgreen:
Yes, his gear was close, in 1900, the current grower. . But we are in 2019, that is to say that even this machine would hardly correspond to what we know about the aerobic and anaerobic layers. .
It shows that the shape at the end of the fangs to a weeding function too, the goal being to uproot the herbs in question. The fine-toothed croc form is more adapted to respect the biological activity of the soil and does not require a crumbler behind the machine since it retains a fine grain size especially in heavy soils, clay, and flora and fauna. , momentarily disturbed, recover quickly. Any gardener can try it out and demonstrate it.
And there, even manually, it's a real job lazy! : Cheesy:
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 23/11/19, 20:06

nico239 wrote:
izentrop wrote:Hello,

yes, well it's comparable to that, a farmer, so it's called de-stubble, to finish off the remains of harvest, superficial soil work, yes we can wonder why it happens only now because apparently some knew but have never spoken, pity, this forgotten technique might have a bright future in our time

I have to read this completely at rest
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)