The laborious path to my hammock: a superb broncier in the Sarthe

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The hard way to my hammock: a beautiful broncier in the Sarthe

by fl78960 » 14/07/19, 07:28

to be chafoin wrote:Awesome ! Where are the pies and cabbages?

I found Brussels sprouts by chance under a fern leaf.

The potatoes seem to be there, but I will have to clear the land before pronouncing.

In any case no sign of lack of water in tomatoes or cucurbits.

I will post photos later.
0 x
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fl78960 » 14/07/19, 07:49

I'm clearing my boards, and I wonder at the same time if this is not a huge mistake ... does not this jungle protect my crops from dehydration under the sun? ? Is this vegetation not protecting my vegetables from the predation of competitors more present than me?

Well on the other hand, if I do not do anything, at this rate I will not be able to tell the difference between my crops and weeds : Mrgreen:
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/07/19, 10:18

fl78960 wrote:I'm clearing my boards, and I wonder at the same time if this is not a huge mistake ... does not this jungle protect my crops from dehydration under the sun? ? Is this vegetation not protecting my vegetables from the predation of competitors more present than me?

Well on the other hand, if I do not do anything, at this rate I will not be able to tell the difference between my crops and weeds : Mrgreen:

considering the growth of what you mow, you are only a refreshment, so you give the air if you can tell your boards, especially light, and what you mow will fertilize the soil and protect him too

so no I do not think it's a stupidity, without this mowing, your board could be surpassed and your vegetables covered with vegetation and therefore suffocated (deprived of light)
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fl78960 » 14/07/19, 11:02

Moindreffor wrote:
fl78960 wrote:I'm clearing my boards, and I wonder at the same time if this is not a huge mistake ... does not this jungle protect my crops from dehydration under the sun? ? Is this vegetation not protecting my vegetables from the predation of competitors more present than me?

considering the growth of what you mow, you are only a refreshment, so you give the air if you can tell your boards, especially light, and what you mow will fertilize the soil and protect him too

so no I do not think it's a stupidity, without this mowing, your board could be surpassed and your vegetables covered with vegetation and therefore suffocated (deprived of light)

I agree, I cleared

20190714_100559.jpg
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/07/19, 12:18

I find that for such an episodic presence and for a beginning, it's really not bad at all

a zone well cleared at the end of the season and covered with a good layer of hay should allow you to have at the beginning of the season a zone without too many weeds in which you will be able to put your tomatoes and possibly some salads or more ordinary vegetables in recharging well before setting up

because apart from matter weeds growing under hay (or other cover) you do not have much to do
1 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 14/07/19, 17:40

It's a matter of trade-offs: letting it happen condemns your vegetables, even if it's not 100% the first year. They have little room (or too many fragilities) in a living system ... Which inevitably will end up in a "climax forest" (the natural forest in balance with the climate and the soil where you are) is not absent human intervention.

A "vegetable garden" - space where you produce vegetables is necessarily anthropized: man puts his hand in it. As is a natural meadow - which is not natural, but is the result of mowing by humans or not by domestic animals.

There is, of course, a gradation between 0 (the climax forest in which you have to travel hundreds of hectares to gather enough to survive - and again, only the good years) and 100 - a system hydroponic with artificial lighting where you completely control everything.

If your weeds are shading your vegetables, it is at the cost of having previously pricked part of the water. If the season is correct, and the water sufficient, this difference may not be too much. If it is dry, it will be the weeds that win!

And it is also at the price of having deprived them of a part of light, that in bare ground or under dead cover (hay, straw) or even under living cover low, at the level of the ground, they could have captured - c is so much biomass-vegetable that you will not have !!! Except to eat weeds like vegetables of course!

On the other hand, the mineral elements that your weeds will have "borrowed" are not lost. On the contrary, they are "mobilized" and in a more assimilable form. As long as the weeds are allowed to decompose on site of course. And there there will be a gain.

There is also a gain in terms of light energy captured by the whole system: under your weed cover, there are probably hardly any rays of light that have not been converted into biomass. And who will therefore "feed" your system and the organisms therein!

Here, it is around these determinants that it is advisable to place your cursor where it satisfies you!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/07/19, 20:33

Did67 wrote:It's a matter of trade-offs: letting it happen condemns your vegetables, even if it's not 100% the first year. They have little room (or too many fragilities) in a living system ... Which inevitably will end up in a "climax forest" (the natural forest in balance with the climate and the soil where you are) is not absent human intervention.

A "vegetable garden" - space where you produce vegetables is necessarily anthropized: man puts his hand in it. As is a natural meadow - which is not natural, but is the result of mowing by humans or not by domestic animals.

There is, of course, a gradation between 0 (the climax forest in which you have to travel hundreds of hectares to gather enough to survive - and again, only the good years) and 100 - a system hydroponic with artificial lighting where you completely control everything.

If your weeds are shading your vegetables, it is at the cost of having previously pricked part of the water. If the season is correct, and the water sufficient, this difference may not be too much. If it is dry, it will be the weeds that win!

And it is also at the price of having deprived them of a part of light, that in bare ground or under dead cover (hay, straw) or even under living cover low, at the level of the ground, they could have captured - c is so much biomass-vegetable that you will not have !!! Except to eat weeds like vegetables of course!

On the other hand, the mineral elements that your weeds will have "borrowed" are not lost. On the contrary, they are "mobilized" and in a more assimilable form. As long as the weeds are allowed to decompose on site of course. And there there will be a gain.

There is also a gain in terms of light energy captured by the whole system: under your weed cover, there are probably hardly any rays of light that have not been converted into biomass. And who will therefore "feed" your system and the organisms therein!

Here, it is around these determinants that it is advisable to place your cursor where it satisfies you!

in a space like his, I think that only the beans and peas with ream must be able to surpass the weeds, my mother opened a space to make works, soil laid bare, but the works did not take place, she has not touched anything, the weeds have settled and have taken the height, between 1.2 m and 2 m for larger, so with such a height the choice is quickly made : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 15/07/19, 13:16

fl78960 wrote:I agree, I cleared

20190714_100559.jpg

As Didier says perfectly it is an arbitration to be done and you are the only master after God. : Mrgreen:

Preferring a living cover to a dead cover I would go for a custom management of the cover according to its size (height).

It seems to me that you can leave all that is below but a priori spell a spell to everything that could cover and therefore deprive of light.

And after seeing what can protect covering without serving: it's more subtle.

Well managed ferns (probably a thinning hair) could it protect salads or radishes in the summer or carrots from the heat of the sun: who knows?
I do not have ferns here but why not try?

What is a pity anyway is to have to work to cut what ... PUSH ALL ONLY ...
From there to do the minimum and take advantage of what grows by itself is a way to explore.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 15/07/19, 13:29

nico239 wrote:
fl78960 wrote:I agree, I cleared

20190714_100559.jpg

As Didier says perfectly it is an arbitration to be done and you are the only master after God. : Mrgreen:

Preferring a living cover to a dead cover I would go for a custom management of the cover according to its size (height).

It seems to me that you can leave all that is below but a priori spell a spell to everything that could cover and therefore deprive of light.

And after seeing what can protect covering without serving: it's more subtle.

Well managed ferns (probably a thinning hair) could it protect salads or radishes in the summer or carrots from the heat of the sun: who knows?
I do not have ferns here but why not try?

What is a pity anyway is to have to work to cut what ... PUSH ALL ONLY ...
From there to do the minimum and take advantage of what grows by itself is a way to explore.

when you're there I do not say, but when it's episodic, the tests that may end in failure, can not be renewed in the season, so the double or left, you let it work so much better, otherwise ben nothing if everything is smothered
I will play caution, this year, I wanted to play borderline ben it's missed, I'll have to play the classic classic hay in October and November recollects in February-March, the lack of MO and therefore lack of water
0 x
(of me)
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fl78960 » 15/07/19, 15:36

Thank you all for your comments.

After a good job on the field this weekend and an evening to play the tick-tick (8 or 9 for less than 24h on the spot) I am at the following observation:

1 / Ticks: I start there because it is a sensitive subject especially at home where Madam suffers from Lyme disease. If I can not lower the "pressure" of the ticks, my wife will never come, and will not allow our children to come and play on the spot, and I have moderate fun going alone and even less making myself. delousing at each visit.
To reduce the presence - at least on my body - of ticks, I have 1 / limit tall grass 2 / limit the natural hosts of ticks, voles seem to swarm on the ground. Firstly. So I will have to mow / mow to circulate easily.

2 / observation of the "field":
This first year (which is not finished, but we are already preparing for the fall) has been devoted to the renovation of the house (almost livable!) But the lack of mowing has allowed na vegetation to take over in the meadow.

I didn't take the time to observe the terrain, but now that I have glimpsed it over a short year I "see" some things, in parts related to orientation and exposure to the sun.

Small aerial photo of set

In the middle of the clearing, a car wreck that is now gone.

aerial view.JPG
aerial view.JPG (89.83 KIO) Viewed 3749 times

the same with a computer-troweled zoning and a big red arrow pointing to the North.

aerial view-zoning.JPG
aerial-zoning.JPG (96.28 KIO) Viewed 3749 times

legend:
blue sky: activity zone in front of the shed (red frame filled with orange color).
yellow / orange-yellow: current cultivation zone, at the bottom the yellow zone is the main cultivation zone: the potato band and the squash band
in purple: two areas currently squatted by ferns and / or brambles (so blackberries: full full full full!)
in red: probably the future vegetable garden.
the northern limit of the land, along the road, is mainly chestnut, but also oak, ash).

The blue zone is the area in front of the shed with the barbecue, where we obviously have more circulated, tinkered and trampled, the regrowth is weak.

The yellow and purple areas are "protected" in the south by a high hedge (of thuja, I hate these things and in addition they are so high that I am dizzy ...) rather in the shade and benefiting well brambles and also ferns. Note, the thuja trees are at home, so one day I will be able to spell them out (by agreeing with the neighbor) ... but anyway it's for "later"!

In the red zone, the pressure of ferns and brambles and much lower, while apart from some human passages (that can be counted on the fingers of the hand) nothing has been done.

I think that the red zone will be the next growing area for next year: I still have a roll of hay strategically (the fruit of pure chance) positioned at the crossroads of 4 zones (in short it is placed in the middle of the field 8) ) so it will be easy to go out there. This area is better sunny all afternoon.

3 / Mowing and ground cover.
The current "gardening" equipment is extremely rudimentary: an old mower that stalls at the sight of the tall grass, a brand new scythe, a hay fork as well as, in the appendix: a transplanter, a secateurs, a branch saw, a branch cutter and finally an unfortunately limited reserve of elbow grease.

By this fall, we have planned to cut a good part of the clearing area and invest in a lawn mower to control the vegetation that does not wait for our episodic passages to push back.

This weekend, I started to want to make small piles of "hay" with my mowers but time and fatigue got the better of this idea. I tell myself that anyway, the right place to feed the soil is where I just cut.

4 / assessment of current crops:
everything was done in two dates:
April 20 hay peeling, potato sowing, transplanting of cucurbits (only 1 zucchini survived), Brussels sprouts (alive) and tomatoes (too early => disappeared)
20 may transplanting tomatoes (3 feet whose 2 protect well, cucurbits (all OK), artichokes (very very young, but disappeared) + watering.

The potatoes are on a strip of hay which is too close to the hedge: lack of light + ferns = re-lack of light: the stems spin out like salad seedlings at the bottom of a damp cellar. I took a stalk out of the hay: apart from 2 or 3 stalks and the "mother" tuber, no pdt in formation. We leave it like that and we'll see at the end of August.

on the photo below we see the 2 main bands: in the foreground the with squash and zucchini, separated from the band of potatoes by a band "lying ferns" (the fork is planted in) and at the bottom on the right the hedge in front of ferns, at the bottom in the middle the continuation of the "ground" (do not trust anything it is well over 2 meters).

2019-07-14 08.48.02.jpg

zoom on the band of potatoes (photo taken a little before the previous one: the ferns occupy the space, with a little bramble and also ... bindweed climbing everywhere). The stems are about 70 cm, but very little foliage.

2019-07-14 08.30.10.jpg

pictures of 2 tomato feet

2019-07-14 06.37.45.jpg

2019-07-14 06.37.58.jpg

The squash are beautiful!

2019-07-14 06.39.00.jpg

2019-07-14 06.38.48.jpg

2019-07-14 06.38.39.jpg

In terms of maintenance, if we disregard the jungle which grows too much due to our absence on site, the hay strips have well protected my plants and the "cleaning" is quite easy: a few brambles have crossed but tear up super easily, the ferns that cross the hay are few and no grasses. My only worry is the bindweed that I suspect of photosynthesizing quietly while taking advantage of my work of thinning ferns.

About water: no watering! I do not do any non-watering contest, but it leaves me dreamy.

5 / the local fauna.
I have already mentioned voles, but no formal traces of attacks (but little production yet).
there is a "track" traced in tall grass where an animal must pass to cross the ground: cat? fox? other? I do not know.
I found beside a branch of potimarron a poop ... too big for a cat, little dog? fox? I do not know
2019-07-14 10.05.42.jpg

(If you have an idea, I'm interested!)

6 / the fruit trees
The two cherry trees are much too high, it will be for birds, I will let grow a few shoots (there is everywhere!) For our consumption.
The pear trees seem to have given nothing at all :(
apricots are not super fat, and in any case not ripe, I do not know if we can enjoy it
2019-07-14 10.03.26.jpg

the apple trees and the walnut are well loaded, but that's for later
2019-07-13 19.05.37.jpg

the brambles are full of blackberries, I have a stomach ache in advance : Mrgreen:

Well that's enough, I have to get to work : Cry:
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"