The hidden face of meat, documentary

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 26/02/13, 13:49

We also have this problem here in Quebec:

Halal meat without your knowledge

For several weeks, the controversy over halal meat has raged in France, where it is picked up by several presidential candidates. In particular, some schools are criticized for providing halal meals to students, which offends defenders of secularism.

However, controversy risks breaking out here. The team of the Dumont program for lunch revealed on Tuesday that all of the Olymel chickens from Saint-Damase are slaughtered according to Muslim rites.

However, according to the company, there is no need to identify it on the packaging. "It is not necessary," said Olymel spokesperson Richard Vigneault, since "it doesn't change the nature of the product." He adds that the process meets the requirements of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and that "if customers don't ask for it, we don't have to market it under the halal label".

The Halal Meat Association, which issues certificates of authenticity, requires that employees of the Muslim faith participate daily in slaughter operations. "We asked these people to put someone in front of the machine before starting it, to pronounce the name of Allah and to put two or three people after the slaughter to see if they were slaughtered correctly “, Says the founder of the Association, Abdelhamid Aouchiche. Three Muslim inspectors are even busy visiting the facilities unannounced to monitor that the whole process is respected, conditions accepted by the slaughterhouses who sign the contract.

Seven other companies would have complied with the list provided by the Association, including another giant, Maple Lodge. Here too, the poultry slaughtering process would be recognized, regardless of the consumer's religion. The distributor of Metropolitan Meats in Montreal, Samih Bahsoun, explains that to reduce costs, slaughterhouses that make halal convert all their production.

Mr. Bahsoun also convinced the former leaders of the Avicomax slaughterhouse in Drummondville to turn exclusively to the manual slaughter ritual, the strictest of Islam. “They put the halal logo when necessary, but all of their chickens are halal. It costs less to do like this. That's how it is in most slaughterhouses that make halal. ”

Producing halal: how much does it cost?

At Olymel, we categorically deny that religion is used as a hiring criterion in Saint-Damase. We still admit to paying "the costs associated with certification" and that the employees who apply the criteria allowing halal certification are "paid by us (Olymel), probably", explains the spokesperson who did not specify how much money was given to the Muslim association. However, he admitted to paying “several thousand dollars” each year, money collected by the leaders of the Abou Bakr Essedik Mosque, rue Jean-Talon in Montreal.

The Halal Meat Association was born in December 2002 to counterbalance the controversial imam Said Jaziri, who was expelled from Canada in 2007 because of his illegal status. “He wanted to impose paying 50 cents a pound to mark his halal stamp, even if it was not halal. [...] So we created the Association to allow the traceability of the meat ”, explains Mr. Aouchiche, also owner of the Tassili butcher, in Montreal.

Since last May, the organization has operated under the Abu Bakr Essedik mosque, led by Imam Mohamed Habib Marzougui. "We control the majority of the chicken market in Quebec," says the imam, who collects annual and monthly contributions to certified abattoirs.

Olymel operates two chicken slaughterhouses in Quebec and produces 80 million poultry a year. The plant located in St-Damase has a slaughter capacity of 750 poultry per week. The company, which employs over 000 people, markets its products mainly under the Olymel, Lafleur and Flamingo brands.

We should also remember that a majority of products in grocery stores have also been certified kosher for several years, in order to meet the requirements of the Jewish community.

http://quebec.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03 ... 41572.html
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 26/02/13, 13:59

He adds that the process meets the requirements of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
it is therefore not a real problem in itself except for pro or anti Muslim religion.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 26/02/13, 14:12

Janic wrote:
He adds that the process meets the requirements of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
it is therefore not a real problem in itself except for pro or anti Muslim religion.

Hi Janic!

No it's not a problem for me because religions I put them all in the same boat and we can still see here that it is a source of perpetual bickering on many subjects.

It remains that my personal opinion that I do not want to impose on others.

To have visited through my work almost all kinds of slaughterhouses from quail horse, I prefer for the good of animals that they are not aware of their dead and that is the only problem I see there which has nothing to do with religion.

Note that I am not a hunter and that I have relegated the firearms that my father would have liked me to keep to the beauf who uses it, I always have trouble seeing an animal get killed by hunters who party with their catch.
0 x

Alain
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 26/02/13, 17:02

alain g hello
To have visited through my work almost all kinds of slaughterhouses from quail horse, I prefer for the good of animals that they are not aware of their dead and that is the only problem I see there which has nothing to do with religion.

So once the religion side is put aside there remains the mode, I would say the ritual, of slaughter today, practiced.
The question is therefore: is it for the good of animals (which between us at the stage where they are should hardly make a difference) or, as quoted above, for humans who want to excuse themselves from the act that they commit or rather have others commit? (Note that if each meat consumer had to make this sacrifice himself, a certain number would suddenly become VG). Take the example of the agricultural show where on one side there are exposed animals that children come to pet and opposite a restaurant where these same children come to eat the steak of the animal (his brother) they come to pet. How many of these kids make the link (parents too often!) Between the two? because what happens in the slaughterhouses is hidden from them, they are not even really aware of it because the children should not be shocked, it seems! Hypocrisy? Voluntary unconsciousness?
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 26/02/13, 18:51

How many of these kids make the link (parents too often!) Between the two? because what happens in the slaughterhouses is hidden from them, they are not even really aware of it because the children should not be shocked, it seems! Hypocrisy? Voluntary unconsciousness?

Hi Janic!

Not sure that it is out of hypocrisy but rather out of willful unconsciousness Yes!

The butcher shop has been around for a long time and it will not change tomorrow, to see the depressed meat everyone lives well with this but to hear an animal which knows that it will die and transmits it to the one who is still in the truck, is not very pretty to hear and see the eyes of these panicked animals I always had misery and not looking was the best solution for me even if out of curiosity we still watch the first times.
0 x

Alain
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 27/02/13, 09:47

alain g hello
Hi Janic!

Not sure that it is out of hypocrisy but rather out of willful unconsciousness Yes!
At the start there is voluntary unconsciousness (not knowing is the best way not to feel guilty) then, when you know, it becomes hypocrisy and the space between the two is small.
The butcher shop has been around for a long time and it won't change tomorrow
Certainly, but we have to start somewhere to educate consumers about their direct and indirect responsibility for real or supposed meat scandals.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 27/02/13, 13:45

Alain G wrote:
The butcher shop has been around for a long time and it won't change tomorrow,

Spurious arguments!
At the time of the Canaanites, it was traditional to offer the god Moloch-Baal young children (burn alive, or slaughter ...).
At the time it is certain that people had to say:
"We sacrifice children, that's how it is and it's not about to change".
The abolition of slavery is 1848 (France), yesterday ...
We had to say:
"What to give rights to blacks, you do not think about it!"

For info, the right to vote for women dates from 1944 in France, it was yesterday ...
Before that we had to say:"what! getting women to vote, you don't think about it!".

Mentalities are likely to change very quickly, in fact it only takes one or two generations.
By cons if we do not seek to evolve it is on that we can continue for a long time in a standstill.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 27/02/13, 14:51

Found photos of what traditional "halal" slaughter is (sorry for Janic and others ...)

the second phto has nothing halal it seems to me! Otherwise fools are found everywhere! Note (I do not defend anyone given my food choices) that we find this kind of imbeciles during bullfights that have nothing halal, kosher or other where these same individuals with their generous hunting tables. Each time it is to compare blind people with each other! Who sang: "when you're stupid, you're stupid! "?
http://www.encyclopedie-universelle.com ... ttage.html
whose "avoid unnecessary suffering"as if there was useful suffering! and as a reminder animals are not considered as living beings but as furniture, by law, with some restrictions for the doggie to his grandmother! :|
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/03/13, 10:58

It's not just meat ... even organic eggs can be a problem (well, it's organic, but less local anyway): http://www.leprogres.fr/france-monde/20 ... t-d-italie

Drome. Eleven million organic eggs sold in supermarkets were under a false designation of French eggs, between 2008 and 2010. The case was tried yesterday in correctional.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 24/03/13, 12:27

Or we learn that New Zealand lamb meat is kept in a controlled atmosphere for a month!

Toulouse: sheep farmers denounce competition from New Zealand lamb

A tray of New Zealand leg of lamb in hand, green cap screwed on the skull, Christian Galzin, breeder in the Tarn, rebels in the aisles of a hypermarket on the outskirts of Toulouse: "This lamb could be slaughtered a month ago and yet it is being sold for fresh meat. "
..... Thus, according to Mr. Galzin, the New Zealand lamb, conveyed to France by boat, could be preserved thanks to the technique of the controlled atmosphere, where the air is replaced by a gas (from carbon dioxide for example), and the meat kept cold.

"On this tray, we can read the origin but the date of slaughter is not there," denounces Mr. Galzin.

http://www.boursorama.com/actualites/to ... 001434e1e3
0 x