The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

by torrent sites » 12/05/18, 22:09

oulalala it's not that simple.
If there are volunteers, otherwise we will have to wait a few more years for me to validate my results.
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 16/06/18, 12:29

Some news from my home garden in my garden

the tomatoes are growing quietly: almost a month that I have not watered, even in the greenhouse and yet no sign of thirst : Shock:
beans, peas and corn it's just a catamaran : Evil: nothing nothing that doesn't mean
cabbage, I had a shovel and for I do not know that it is right some have been eaten the roots by small white grubs, so almost half have suffered badly
the leek has taken a little time but it is starting to come well
the slugs have attacked well on one of the plots, the other two suffer less
In general, everything is a little difficult to get started (except the sunflowers which are happy), so it's going to be a rather average year I think
I took out the grelinette, under the mulch the earth has really compacted and is dripping with water (for info I have not had heavy rains recently like other localities of the department -> is that I have a microclimate : Mrgreen: ). Although it has worsened a little, it is still a very clayey soil :(
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 16/06/18, 12:42

torrent wrote:Some news from my home garden in my garden

the tomatoes are growing quietly: almost a month that I have not watered, even in the greenhouse and yet no sign of thirst : Shock:
beans, peas and corn it's just a catamaran : Evil: nothing nothing that doesn't mean
cabbage, I had a shovel and for I do not know that it is right some have been eaten the roots by small white grubs, so almost half have suffered badly
the leek has taken a little time but it is starting to come well
the slugs have attacked well on one of the plots, the other two suffer less
In general, everything is a little difficult to get started (except the sunflowers which are happy), so it's going to be a rather average year I think
I took out the grelinette, under the mulch the earth has really compacted and is dripping with water (for info I have not had heavy rains recently like other localities of the department -> is that I have a microclimate : Mrgreen: ). Although it has worsened a little, it is still a very clayey soil :(

How many years have you been putting hay on this vegetable garden?

Watering is global or differentiated according to vegetables?
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 16/06/18, 13:00

I do not remember the exact date but it must have been a little more than 5 years.

I sprinkle the seedlings a bit during emergence (when they want to), the rest is on a dry diet as long as there are no signs of thirst
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 16/06/18, 15:26

Being in a situation which seems similar to me here are my lessons.

On this type of soil must put the dose (20cm minimum and more if you can) of hay all year round, this plays an essential role and really modifies the soil.
Then you adapt according to your crops (sowing or not ... etc)

I too did not water much last year.

With hindsight I think this is a mistake.

We don't do a minimum watering contest.

Try to water a little more, in my opinion you will gain.
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 16/06/18, 17:04

I already had this reflection on watering two years ago; since then I adapt a new way of seeing: if the plant grows well, the soil is still wet, no watering, otherwise I try to improve with more frequent watering.

My current problem does not concern plants that grow without water, but my seedlings that do not want to rise despite regular watering to keep the soil moist
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 17/06/18, 09:11

I found one of the reasons for the non-emergence of my seedlings (at least beans).
last night I scraped the earth at the place of my failed seedlings and found a kind of snail (~ 3-4mm large, white and very viscous) which "drilled holes in my seeds to devour them ..

anyone have any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/06/18, 09:30

Without doubt one of the species of slugs ????

To verify however that it is the cause, and not the consequence: had the seed germinated? would it germinate ??? Does the snail not attack a seed that was starting to decay ????

Now, on legumes, I had, last year, the "Lychaenidae" (butterfly caterpillars in the shape of woodlice) !!!!

My basic hypothesis, which I unfortunately do not have the "objective" means (analyzes, etc.) to verify, is that it is the decomposing organic matter which can block germination. It is known that underripe composts have an anti-germination effect ...

I would have to set up an "experimental set-up" consisting, in the same place, of making sections in bare soil and sections with hay / furrows in the hay, with enough repetitions, and observe.

Because, on the other hand, it sometimes happens that seedlings rise without problem. Some have planted beans directly in the hay. I did it. With a good lifting rate ...

There is still, around the sowing, a "part of mystery". That I bypass by preparing "buckets" ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 17/06/18, 10:12

torrent wrote:I already had this reflection on watering two years ago; since then I adapt a new way of seeing: if the plant grows well, the soil is still wet, no watering, otherwise I try to improve with more frequent watering.

My current problem does not concern plants that grow without water, but my seedlings that do not want to rise despite regular watering to keep the soil moist

I too had a problem with my seedlings this year, Didier seems to have had one too, what do you use as soil?
I bought a semi potting soil, I think to do differently next year, this kind of potting soil seems suitable for growing indoors, a quick growth, I planted later this year but outside it didn't work out with this kind of soil, so this is where I am
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 17/06/18, 10:38

There, I was talking about direct seeding in the furrows.

In addition, but it is not a "problem" in the sense that it is solved, in fact, my seedlings made in plates or pots with an ordinary potting soil ("without brand") of the trade remained puny. But then really puny, to the point that I transplanted fine onions like knitting needles, or celery at the 2 true leaf stage (it's tiny) ...

The question of the irregularity of row seedlings (in particular, in my case, of carrots) remains open: slugs, which plane at ground level (see slightly under the ground) at the time of emergence or "anti-germination effect" of the rotting hay, or lack of light at the bottom of the hay furrow ?????? We will have to "research" and identify the cause in order to remedy it! The trial of transplanting very small carrots prepared in seedling plates is conclusive in terms of recovery. You have to wait for the harvest to see what shape the resulting carrots will have!
0 x